Aug 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Updated at 7:55 p.m.
By Mark Zuckerman
CHICAGO — David DeJesus was out having lunch with his wife on Monday when the Cubs outfielder realized he has missed a call from team president Theo Epstein. Kim DeJesus told her husband, “You probably got traded.”
Two hours later, David DeJesus was standing outside the third base dugout at Wrigley Field, exchanging hugs with his now-former teammates and trudging across the field to the first base dugout to join the Nationals, having indeed been traded just before the two clubs opened a four-game series.
“It’s different,” he said. “I couldn’t even find my way to the locker room. I’ve never been on this side of the field, so I had to go upstairs. I was like: ‘Do I go up the stairs? Or is there another way around?’ It was kind of surreal, but I got through it OK.”
Seeking yet another upgrade to their unproductive bench, the Nationals acquired DeJesus in a waiver-claim trade for a player to be named later, then released fellow outfielder Roger Bernadina to clear space on their 25-man roster.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays