Aug 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Updated at 7:55 p.m.
By Mark Zuckerman
CHICAGO — David DeJesus was out having lunch with his wife on Monday when the Cubs outfielder realized he has missed a call from team president Theo Epstein. Kim DeJesus told her husband, “You probably got traded.”
Two hours later, David DeJesus was standing outside the third base dugout at Wrigley Field, exchanging hugs with his now-former teammates and trudging across the field to the first base dugout to join the Nationals, having indeed been traded just before the two clubs opened a four-game series.
“It’s different,” he said. “I couldn’t even find my way to the locker room. I’ve never been on this side of the field, so I had to go upstairs. I was like: ‘Do I go up the stairs? Or is there another way around?’ It was kind of surreal, but I got through it OK.”
Seeking yet another upgrade to their unproductive bench, the Nationals acquired DeJesus in a waiver-claim trade for a player to be named later, then released fellow outfielder Roger Bernadina to clear space on their 25-man roster.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday