State of the Nats – 8/19

Aug 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Team Record: 60-63 (24-26)

N.L. East Standings

Wild Card Standings

Offensive Game of the Week: Jayson Werth 8/17 vs. Braves – 2 for 3, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 2B
Pitching Line of the Week: Tanner Roark 8/17 vs. Braves – 4.0 IP (in relief), 0 ER, H, BB, 6 SO, 50 pitches, 37 strikes

Top Storylines

Any chance at NL Wild Card? – Losing two of three against the Braves this weekend didn't do any favors for the Nationals' disappearing hopes of a playoff spot this October. They had chances in each game they lost, but saw the Braves capitalize on mistakes and prevail with the series win. Now the Nats continue their road trip with a 9.5 game deficit separating them and the Cincinnati Reds. The Reds aren't offering much help for the Nationals as they've won nine of their last 12 games, but they did lose two in four-game series against the Brewers this past weekend. They now return to Cincinnati to play the Arizona Diamondbacks who have won five of their last six. The Diamondbacks, as you see above, are the other team separating the Nats and the final Wild Card spot. The Nats have 39 games left on their schedule, the Reds 38 and the Diamondbacks 40. The Reds obviously have the edge right now, but stranger things have happened.

1. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I'm going to love our meaningless September baseball, especially if we climb above .500

2. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I hope Rizzo will come up with a good manager for next year. Someone who will be around for quite a while. I like stability.

3. 3on2out - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Damn. I concede to the chicken littles and the LODs. The sky has fallen, the team is mediocre and there will not be meaningful games in September. Rabbit34, secret wasian man and all the rest. I tip my cap. You saw things I did not. I will keep going and keep watching but my heart is broken.

4. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Take heart 3on2out. Remember a stopped clock is precisely correct twice a day. The LOD will always be singing their tune. That's just what they do.

5. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

6. UNTERP - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

a good accomplishment for this team is to finish with less than 80 losses. 83-79 would bring me cheer…

7. Ivan Tuski - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Let's win some games and see what happens

8. davecydell - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Stras an idiot (Walk batter, throw 3 w/p, batter scores, get tossed, that one run led to 6 xrtra innings, not what one wants on the hill in the P/Os)Span paid too much for just defenseHarper CF Werth RF Moore Lf (Moore 2/4 on return, then Immediately benched…DJ???)Stras? Zim Gio TJ Roark Ohlendorf ….. other minors galoreSuzuki more time vs Ramos, smarter catcher (see Batter interference move)What is a balk??? (NO peep from DJ) ( it is the pitcher’s first move, many are diff)Sorian 2 B/S, w/b 3 if not for Span diving grab….. never take off Yankees

9. Get Some Players - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Little Gio (Lucas) promoted to Auburn. At least that's something, the big league team is like a broken record most games. No bunting allowed by position players apparently so other teams don't even bother defending against it. Davey wants his 3 run homers, which never come.

10. phil dunton - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Just another in along list of losers that Rizzo brought. to town:Diamondbacks Release Garrett MockBy Steve Adams [August 19 at 9:57am CST]Here are today's minor moves from around the league…The Diamondbacks released right-hander Garrett Mock from Triple-A Reno, according to the Pacific Coast League Transactions page. The 30-year-old Mock posted a 6.72 ERA with 6.5 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9 in 75 innings for the Aces this season. Mock spent parts of three seasons with the Nationals from 2008-10, posting a 5.17 ERA in 135 2/3 innings, but he hasn't pitched in the big leagues since. The D-Backs are his third organization since the Nationals, as he's also spent time with the Astros and Red Sox.

11. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Just win 75% of remainig games and lets see what happens.Until impossible, I hold out hope.August 19, 2013 1:59 PMI just love your attitude MNF!

12. livernonions - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Mock came to us long before Rizzo — if anything, he should get credit for having the foresight as a Diamondbacks asst. gm for dumping Mock on the Nationals.

13. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Tony Gwynn obseeved most batters who have troble with RISP have it because they are over swinging. Relax, take a breath see pitch, if it is a strike swing smoithly and no harder than normal.He idebtified the Nats all swing to hard in RISPAugust 18, 2013 6:46 PMMNF, just saw your post from several threads back. Thanks for this Tony Gwynn quote. I believe Tony is correct.

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM

15. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM

NatsLady said…Secret, ya gotta have a dream. If you don't have a dream, how you going to have a dream come true. Just trying to visualize how a winning streak could happen. Nats are a .500 team. A .500 team CAN beat the bad teams, we've shown we can. We might lose to ATL, but put on a streak and then we see STL who will be worn out from their Division fight. The teams in the central will knock each other silly.We will know by then if we are ahead of Arizona. Could be that last series is the "meaningful games in September."August 18, 2013 5:44 PMNatsLady, I just love your post from previous thread.

16. SonnyG10 - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Granted almost no one hits as well as Tony Gwynn, but he is right it seems wirh RISP most hitters (on all teams clutch swing harder thinking that is better.) It isnt.August 19, 2013 2:53 PMMNF, I hope the new manager emphasizes this point. I believe this is where we can make the biggest jump towards being a better team. That and improving our bull pen.

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

If the Yanks dont re-sign Girardi I hope we go for him.Our bullpen would be better witg tge pkayers we had if they woyld have more wiggle room to start with. Our lack of runs puts more pessure than our bullpen as a whole can handle.Thing is our hitters should be good enough, as a group they haven't performed as well as they needed to.

18. NatsLady - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

19. NatsLady - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM

DeJesus .250/.330/.401Bernadina .178/.247/.270

20. NatsLady - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Sorry, MrsB. I'm sure Roger will find a spot. I think he maybe never quite recovered from the WBC.

21. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

DeJesus is another player who has had a career of promise that has been unfulfilled. I wonder what Rizzo envisions for him.

23. Secret wasian man - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I get no joy in being right about the mediocrity or less of,this team. I truly wanted to sit here in October and apologize for my early LODnish. But I knew what I saw. Just too many holes this year.

24. JamesFan - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

My current goal: Finish above .500.Then the huge issue is the next manager and quickly. Energy, fundamentals, accountability, game and bullpen management–please. Not impressed with the in-house options now that Porter moved on.Offseason: strengthen pen and bench. Get some offensive punch at first (move ALR out if possible). Extend JZim and Desi. Strengthen catching depth (can't afford Zuk option). Use in-house options for fifth starter.

25. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

So you battle the newest evil empire for 15 innings and finally win one and your organization makes a move to show they have not given up on you. Love Roger the guy, but not Roger the bench guy. Question– when Ohly comes back tomorrow do we have to send Tyler BSCJ down? We need his bat and ALR needs regular time off at first. Rather see us release Tracy or acknowledge that Hairston was not the answer.

26. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

And that was — send Tyler back down. Of course. Which we do not want to do!!!

27. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

It is much more fun to be in denial and just say nothing but positive, even if all I see is negative.Makes cheering so much easier.My son's high school football team won 1 game in 4 years, i knew the was bad, but I always cheered as if they were undefeated.As I said all around me felt better, and I sure knew I did.

28. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

DeJesus, Hairston and Tyler Moore are all under contract for next year. Tracy is not. What are two of Rizzo's favorite words? Team control. Do the math.

29. Nats106 - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM

haha. Good one. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. said… The dude with the cardboard set of shark teeth who likes to see himself on the big screen has now flipped them over and is writing DEJESUS SAVES on them.

30. Nats106 - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Too bad DeJesus's first name is not John. Then they could put 3:16 as well.I always thought the Nats did better with a Jesus on our team. We've missed Flores.