Aug 20, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Updated at 8:03 p.m.
CHICAGO — The Nationals' long-standing attempt to find a new spring training home took another hit Monday night when a plan to construct a $98 million facility in Kissimmee, Fla., was struck down by Osceola County commissioners.
In a 4-1 vote, the commissioners resoundingly rejected the Nationals' latest ballpark proposal, leaving the club to start over again in its attempt to relocate spring training headquarters from Space Coast Stadium in Viera.
"While the Washington Nationals are sorry that we couldn't come to an agreement with Osceola County, we recognize this was just one option toward finding the right site, deal and partner to build our one-of-a-kind, family-friendly Spring Training and fan experience facility," the Nationals said in a statement released Tuesday night. "We would like to thank Osceola County for approaching us about this project and for their professionalism and good spirit throughout the negotiations. We will continue to talk with other interested counties in Florida and Arizona and believe that the appropriate combination of site and investment will pay dividends for the right community long into the future."
The Nationals revealed their intention to leave Viera two years ago, citing their long travel times to other Grapefruit League facilities. No other club trains within one hour of Space Coast Stadium, and onlyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Around the NL East: Another week of drama for the Marlins
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?