Aug 21, 2013, 10:25 AM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
CHICAGO — Needing to clear a roster spot for Ross Ohlendorf, who will come off the disabled list to start Wednesday, the Nationals optioned left-hander Ian Krol to Class AAA following Tuesday night's 4-2 victory over the Cubs.
Krol's stay in Syracuse won't be long; manager Davey Johnson said the reliever will return when rosters expand September 1.
"He's going to be back in 10 days with the expanded rosters," Johnson said. "I hate to miss him, because he's still learning up here. But he's got a heck of a future."
The 22-year-old burst onto the scene in June, going 10 appearances before allowing his first major-league run and posting a 1.72 ERA through his first 15 outings. But Krol (the player to be named in January's Michael Morse trade) began to struggle after that. Over his last 12 games, he owns a 5.79 ERA, putting 18 men on base in only 9 1/3 innings.Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?