Aug 21, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
CHICAGO — The Nationals never thought this would be the case in a season with the highest of expectations, but they are preparing to start looking at more young players over the next six weeks at the expense of a few veteran regulars.
Manager Davey Johnson said he plans to give Tyler Moore more starts at first base down the stretch, perhaps going so far as to platoon the 26-year-old at first base with veteran Adam LaRoche.
“I’m not in the position I’d like to be in, but there is a necessity to look at some guys,” Johnson said. “And we’ll be doing that. I mentioned the other day that Tyler Moore has to get some at-bats, some regular at-bats. And I’ll be doing that with some other guys. I’m not going to go into naming them, because that’s gonna happen on a daily basis. It’s not gonna be a set plan.”
Johnson also said rookie right-hander Tanner Roark could get a chance to move into the rotation, perhaps swapping spots with Ross Ohlendorf, who makes his return from the disabled list tonight.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper's heating up
- Strasburg’s poor outing continues troubling early season trend
- Strasburg's rough outing (VIDEO)
- Stephen Strasburg surrenders six in loss to Miami
- Braves fan trolls Nats with Wikipedia page entry (PHOTO)
- Strasburg looks to make it two in a row vs. Marlins
- Around the NL East: Braves rolling, Marlins reeling
- Orioles billboard spotted along D.C. line