Aug 23, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
The David DeJesus Era in Washington lasted all of four days. And never even made it to Washington.
The Nationals traded DeJesus to the Rays today for a player-to-be-named or cash considerations, acquiring and then moving the veteran outfielder in a manner that only a Wall Street day trader could truly appreciate.
Monday’s acquisition of DeJesus in a waiver-claim trade with the Cubs for a player-to-be-named seemed curious from the Nationals’ perspective. Though the 33-year-old offered a solid reputation as a professional hitter and clubhouse leader, there wasn’t much need for another left-handed outfielder on the Nationals roster, a point manager Davey Johnson made as soon as the original deal was announced.
The Nationals, though, immediately placed DeJesus back on waivers, suggesting they wanted to see if another club might beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win