Welcome to the new Nats Insider

Aug 26, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

NewNatsInsider

Don’t worry, you didn’t stumble into the wrong place. This is the same Nats Insider blog you’ve been reading for the last four seasons. It just looks a little different.

Yes, the talented folks at CSNwashington.com have done a redesign of the site, shifting to a new blogging platform (to WordPress, from Google’s Blogger). I think you’ll agree the site has never looked better.

It’s amazing to think about how far this whole endeavor has come since I first launched the site on Feb. 1, 2010. What began as an independent blog operated by one sportswriter who had no web publishing background whatsoever — funded by the generous support of hundreds of loyal readers — was then purchased by Comcast SportsNet in January 2011 and redesigned two months later.

Along the way, the number of articles published daily has increased (thanks in no small part to the tireless work of Chase Hughes), the number of comments posted has dramatically increased (thanks entirely to all of you) and the look of the site has become more professional (thanks to folks at CSN like Greg Schulteis and Brian Hartz).

Now comes another upgrade, one that may look slightly familiar to many of you. This redesign matches up Nats Insider with many other blogs already from the NBC Sports family, including Hardball Talk.

It’s a much more user-friendly design. As you see, there are now three “Top Posts” listed at the top of the page. We’ll do our best to keep the most important posts up there, so you won’t have to scroll down the page to find any news you might have missed.

The commenting function is improved, as well. You can now respond directly to other posters instead of simply adding a new comment all the way at the bottom of a particular thread. The actual comment-posting procedure should also be easier. You’ll only need to register an account with WordPress, a process that literally takes 30 seconds to complete.

Now, there may be a few glitches along the way. We may lose some comments from the last couple days in the transfer over to the new platform. But we’ll be monitoring all this as best as possible and respond as quickly as we can to whatever crops up. If you have questions or problems, you can always email me at mzuckerman@comcastsportsnet.com, and I’ll be sure either to respond or forward your message to someone else who can help.

Thanks as always for making Nats Insider what it is, and for helping it to evolve and grow over the last four seasons!

1. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well, it seems like none of the recent comments are available. But hopefully they can be restored. And Mark, I sure hope you will figure out a way to make the Archives available. That’s a huge store of Nats info that it would be a shame to lose.

As for “improved commenting,” it was actually possible to respond directly to comments on the Google platform, but commenters here quickly reached consensus that it was better add comments at the bottom. The reason is that most of us check in periodically during the day to see if there are new comments and participate in a discusison with everyone. It would be very time consuming to start at the beginning to see if there are new “replies” rather than just picking up in the middle wherever you stopped during your last visit. I hope we will continue that protocol on the new platform.

In any event, congrats to Mark on the success of this blog, and thanks to everyone who makes it such an interesting place to visit.

• scmargenau - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I was required to create a blog, which I did not want to do. Why would u make your followers do this? The only reason I did was to let u know that I think that’s a huge usability error, and will affect views.

• Mark Zuckerman - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

You don’t have to create a blog. Simply leave that field empty when you register. It’s not required.

• 1stwilkescountynatsfan - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Ah yes, it’s a lot like “Star Trek: The Next Generation”. In many ways it’s superior but will never be as recognized as the original.

2. farazs1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Where is everyone else?

3. Mark Zuckerman - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Glad to see you guys made the leap over here.

The archive does still exist. Check the upper right-hand rail where it says “Archives” and then click on “Select Month.” You can pick any month since the blog launched (Feb. 2010) and see all the articles (and comments) from those. Only thing the new site doesn’t have is the full list down the rail of all of this month’s posts. But hopefully the “Top Posts” section will help keep the most interesting stuff in sight for people who want to go back and see those.

• Baseballswami - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Willing to try. Hope everyone navigates the new system.

• mrsblovesthenats - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I can only reply to posts… Where is the box to start a new thread?

• atomicovermind - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

RAWR MONGO FEAR CHANGE.

Actually, this is much better. WordPress > Blogger.

4. Baseballswami - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Testing.

5. davidproctor1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I’m so slow to adapt to change. Looks nice though!

• 1stwilkescountynatsfan - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM

It’s like a new pair of underwear: At first, it’s constrictive, but after awhile it becomes a part of you.

6. dabassguy1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM

These changes aren’t permanent, but change is.

Seems to work.

7. pdowdy83 - Aug 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM

This system works far better than the old Google system once you get used to it. The responding directly to comments is a nice feature.

• dabassguy1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM

The posts seem much more vertically compact, reducing the amount of scroll required.

8. natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Hi, Mark! I was planning to move my blog to WordPress at the end of the season, so I’m glad you took the plunge! Maybe I’ll do it sooner. Just don’t implement the thumbs up/thumbs down feature they have at some sites. That seems to cause nothing but trouble.

9. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Thanks for the archive tip Mark. I must have clicked on an old post found through a google search just before the links became active. I did notice that the time stamp on your old posts (and therefore the comments) seems to be off. For example, the NLDS Game 5 game post on Oct. 12, 2012 (yeah, I’m a glutton for punishment) has a time of 9:40 pm. The comments as Storen collapsed were after 4 am.

The new comment feature makes it much harder to search the comments since only a handful are on each page. But, as that SAIC ad we hear on the radio all the time says: Change is inevitable. We’ll get used to it I’m sure.

• Mark Zuckerman - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This new platform apparently allows 50 comments per page. The old one was 200, I believe. Hopefully that’s only a minor inconvenience.

And yes, it does appear the time stamps got changed in the conversion. Unless I actually was writing all those previous articles from Greenwich, England … :)

10. ashburnnatsfan - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Hello.. it’s Michele S here, wouldn’t let me use that as my login id anymore, so just using the twitter name. Thanks for updating us Mark. Long Live the Nats Insider!

11. jdiame - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Mark,

The site is not working on Chrome.

Just an FYI

• Mark Zuckerman - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

A few of you have noted this. It does appear some browsers are still redirecting to the old site, or to an endless loop of redirects. They’re working on the problem and it should be fixed shortly.

But one thing you can try: Clear your browser’s cache and history. It may still have the old site stored on your computer.

• natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Working fine for me on Chrome. So do other WordPress sites. Never had a problem, using Windows 7.

12. natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Royals took care of the Rays 11-1. They are a good team (both good teams). Glad we got 2 of 3 from them.

13. deutschvier - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

All righty then. Seems to be working okay on Safari on an iPad. I’ll test my many other customary browsers later. And I do indeed still know my Word Press login. Gotta find my Blogger avatar for this account, though.

14. deutschvier - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Hey, wait, I forgot I was called deutschvier on Word Press. Grr. This is Dave, the German teacher with the Zimmy-swing avatar. Might have to work on that screen name, if I can figure out how.

• farazs1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM

You should be able to see your username on top right corner. click on it, it will take you to your settings page where in account options, you should see username —-> your username listed and then ‘change’ underlined.

15. ghostofstevem - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Hey everyone. We go from Matt Harvey’s bad elbow to a page that disappeared to a new site.

16. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I think you can change your handle by updating your profile in WordPress. (Click on my profile on the left side.) Don’t have to change the Username, just the Display Name Publicly name.

17. farazs1 - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Saw the harvey news. Thought it was a joke first and now wish it was a joke. tough luck for Mets fans.

18. jdiame - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Devestating news for the Mets. Just when they started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

19. MicheleS - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Hey 222.. Thanks that worked, so now I am back to being me!!!

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM

That’s good MicheleS. I always liked you better as you :)

20. MicheleS - Aug 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Stinks for Harvey, the kid has a bright future. Hopefully he will only be down the standard year.

21. mrsblovesthenats - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Gahhhh…. I found it..l I had to create a blog(?) is that right? Lord, for me to be so young, i shouldn’t even be this technically challenged….

Digging the changes… Hope you can join in on more conversations, mark!

• MicheleS - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Mrs B.. I didn’t have to create a blog, I can’t figure out how I did it when I signed up.

• mrsblovesthenats - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Drat it all… Well I’m here… And I hope I never lose my info or have to sign in again becuz I will be lost….

• natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I was able to create an account with creating a blog. There was a live link that said “create user profile” or something like that. (Hope this works. Here goes nothing. Hitting “Post comment” and…)

• natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Er, no edit function? Le sigh. That would be “I was able to create an account *without* creating a blog.

22. sec314tom - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I miss the list of headlines from other sites/blogs. I used NatsInsider as my “hub” and just clicked the links to other interesting articles. If a particular blog’s story did not look interesting, I did not bother. Now I will have to check out the other sites individually

• Michael - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM

me too

23. MicheleS - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM

We need a game. Why do off days seem to come after soul sucking losses? MASN Classic tonight is Opening Day 2013

24. coolhandbane - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Hello. This is coolhandbane. I posted on occasion this season. I havent posted in a few weeks due to work and me getting a license. I wont be going to anymore games due to school and work. Thank goodness for the ESPN mlb app and tv.

Sucks about Harvey

Has anyone had any tiling issues when watching the nats on either MASN1 or MASN2 in HD via verizon FIOS?

25. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Oh my gosh. I wondered where all the posters went. Then I refreshed my page and POW! BLAM! punch to the kidneys. Now I got to learn something new :)

26. natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM

• natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Wait, I can reply to myself? Oh well. I talk to myself all the time, anyway.

• mrsblovesthenats - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Haha… Yeah, I was looking for the delete button…

27. natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

mrsb, that was my second thought. That could come in handy, particularly during game threads. :-)

28. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Do we get to use avitars on this blog? I was really fond of mine.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

avatars

29. natsochist - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Hallelujah – I can comment again! Lost my password for the previous random, multi-website username thingy.

It’s good to be back :)

30. natsjackinfl - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I was already to change my avitar.

31. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

There is a “gravatar” in the profile section, but I do not thing is shows up with your comments.

• David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Woops, I guess I guess I could have just responded directly to sonnyg. Make sure you click your name in the top right and change your display name so that it’s easier to tell who is who!

The only 50 comments per page thing is going to get rather annoying during game threads. Does anyone know if it refreshes back to the original page after every you make a comment (if it’s on the second or third page)? That was one of my big pet peeves on the other platform.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Yea, David, mine also.

• 3on2out - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

The avatar part remains a mystery for the technically inept

32. Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Ran into the same problem as MicheleS – didn’t want to let me register as Candide (apparently som other clown already snatched it). So I had to register under a different name and change the display name untder my profile. Pain in the butt, but should be a one-time fix. This is just a test to see if it works.

• Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

…and apparently it does…

I like that you can use HTML tags for style…

• Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Also like the nested comments.

33. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I tried changing a background to my former avitar. Lets see if anything happens.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Rats, nothing.

34. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Like section 222 said, another issue is that we’re going to have to reread everything to see if someone responded to a comment rather than just scrolling down to where we left off.

Ah well.

35. Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Just uploaded my avatar and refreshed the screen, but it ain’t there. Don’t see anyone else’s here either.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Uploaded mine also but no results. Maybe it takes time to propagate.

36. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Apparently you get a notification in the top right if someone responds to your comment. That’s neat I suppose.

37. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

OK, test for avatar.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Rats! But it may take a while to settle in.

38. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Watching this Nats Classic makes me a little bit sad.

39. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

everybody quit, or is there a continuation some where? test

• David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I’m just watching the Nats Classic game (Opening Day 2013) and thinking about what could’ve been.

40. natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Was also able to upload my avatar but it doesn’t show with my comments either. (Curse you, new-fangled technology! [shakes fist at monitor] There, I feel much better now.)

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM

You tickle me natsfan1a :)

41. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Espi hit .333 with 2 homers during spring training. I forgot all about that. What in the world went wrong?

• ghostofstevem - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Real baseball. Remember, September callups, Spring Training stats and Minor League stats need to be evaluated differently.

42. knoxvillenat - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Welcome to Sheetz pump 3 is on.

43. knoxvillenat - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Well I guess even this old guy figured it out.

44. sunshinebobby - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Gee, I’m glad this was an off day. It took me until now to figure out how to work this darn thing.

Mark, I broke in the business with a cool Olivetti portable typewriter in a nifty powder blue traveling case that neatly fit under the seat in front of me.

Highlight was when Lou Piniella, who had a short but lively career as a Senator, was pissed at something I wrote and cartwheeled the typewriter down the center aisle of the team’s 737.

Guess there’s no chance we’re going pack to those days, eh?

45. sunshinebobby - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

As near as I can tell, this doesn’t work with Firefox browser.

But please don’t take my word for it.

• Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

If it doesn’t work with Firefox, then I’m hallucinating a mile a minute.

• natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Firefox is working for me.

46. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I think we’re getting more that 50 posts on a page.

47. veejh - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM

1st time posting here. Go Nats.

48. bpscg - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM

TestTest

49. Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Test 2

50. Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Interesting – my avatar (and others) shows up on my phone, but not on my PC.

• Candide - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Not on my tablet.

51. lovedanats - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Wow. Alternate universe.

52. goteddy - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

This change is great! I have been following Nats Insider since 2010 when I contributed to help get Mark to Spring Training. I have logged on almost every day since and not until today have I actually been able to get my comments to post. Good to finally say hello to all of my friends!

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Wow, can’t imagine why.

53. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Cards just hit a grand slam against the Reds to take the lead.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Go Cards!

• natsfan1a - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Go C[ough]…go C[hoke] – nope, can’t say it. Um, hope that trend continues throughout the game. Heh.

54. doctorjoseph - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

testing

55. David Proctor - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Cards win. We gain half a game.

56. chrisvirginia - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Wow, it’s been two years since I could figure out how to post. Couldn’t figure it out with my old cell phone. Good to be back!

57. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Testing from the home computer and to see how quoting works.

58. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

YIKES — No edit feature, and no ability to delete means that if you don’t do your HTML tags perfectly, you’re going annoy alot of people with comments full of long links and gibberish. Mark, I’m assuming that nothing can be done about that, but it’s a real drawback for the folks who regularly provide links to interesting articles or stats.

59. arvafan - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Well, since today’s comments are temporarily among the lost, I will ask the question again, and you all can post below any more questions for the umpire. I recall the questions asking why umpires don’t ask for help more often from their fellow umpires on the field, and the one about what is the toughest play to call (perhaps the sliding tag). I’d love to ask “Bryce Harper. Please comment.” and see where that goes, but I have to play it by ear–as I said, he’s a friend of my family.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I wanted to know why the umpires were so sensitive with players “showing them up”. Why do they let that bother them?

60. sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

yea, we need a delete or edit function in case we say something stupid and want to take it back. It’ll be there for the whole world to see.

61. needanatsfix - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Definitely will miss seeing links to other Nats sites, but I like the layout better and posting comments is much easier. I gave up too easily on the last switch and have been just lurking since. Feels good to no longer be a lurker.

62. Mark Zuckerman - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I managed to change one setting so it will now allow 200 comments on a single page, just like the old site.

Trying to see if there’s a way to enable comment editing/deletion, but haven’t found it yet. As blog administrator, I get an “Edit” button next to every single comment. Do you guys have that on your own individual comments? It’s at the end of the comment header with your name, the date and time stamp.

Also trying to figure out how to enable the avatars next to everyone’s names. Thought I had that solved, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone has been giving. Keep ‘em coming!

• needanatsfix - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I don’t see any edit button next to my last post

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

No edit or delete button next to my post.

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

As others have noted, I see no “edit” or “delete” button next to my comments. fwiw, earlier I turned up an online help item for WordPress which stated that only blog owners were able to edit or delete comments. If that’s so, I would suggest that (1) those of us who are concerned about errors/typos edit their comments in a word processor or some such before posting, and (2) those of us who may be experiencing emotional turbulence at any given time count to 10 before posting. :-)

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Make that “edit *our* comments.”

Okay, this is just a gratuitous whinge but…it’s a pain to go to the bottom of the page to log in, then scroll back up to find the relocate the comment to which I’m replying. (I know, 222, but I’m trying to confine my blog operations comments to this thread. :-))

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:00 AM

btw, the blog looks great. Heh.

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Here is the passage in question, from the online support area:

Can I edit comments I left on someone else’s blog?

No. It is not possible to edit or delete any comments you have left on other WordPress.com blogs. Blog owners are in full control of the comments on their blogs, so you can try contacting the blog owner and ask them to edit or delete a comment for you. If the blog owner has not posted any contact information, you can try leaving a short comment asking how to contact them directly.

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Just noticed that before one hits “Post comment” there is a live link next to it that says “cancel reply,” fwiw.

63. Sec317 - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM

For those that REALLY want to see comments and not search for imbedded ones, you can “follow” this blog in your account settings and ask for new posts and/or comments to be sent to you via email.

• Candide - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I don’t think I want to get 200 emails every evening when the Nats are playing. Or any other evening, for that matter.

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Ditto.

• Sec317 - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Great point! I neglected to mention that the email can be sent as a summary. Just another option for some as it may not be interesting to everyone.

64. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM

arvafan, someone suggested today asking your umpire friend why they are so hesitant to ask for help in order to make sure to get the call right. i thought that was a good idea.

Mark, no edit button for us peons. At the bottom of each comment once posted, there is a “reply” button and a “report comment” button. In the comment box itself, there’s just a “Post comment” button.

Lots of folks used the Delete feature to correct comments when they discovered a typo after posting. In addition, every now and then folks will post their email addresses or phone numbers because they have tickets to sell or give away, or because they need to speak with another commenter. They can then go back and delete to avoid spam.

Obviously, we can proof our comments before posting so the edit function, while helpful, isn’t essential for that purpose. But HTML tags can be tricky for those who don’t use them often and errors can be heard to spot. The old edit function let you see how your comment will look with links or highlights done using HTML.

65. Section 222 - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Testing from iPhone. Avatars of commenters are visible.

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

222, do you see my red jersey avatar by my posts?

• sonnyg10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Never mind, 222. I was able to bring up natsinsiders on my android and I see that my red jersey avatar is there.

66. Section 222 - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Sonny, yes I do. Of course, it’s teeny tiny on my phone. But definitely visible. Hopefully Mark can figure out how to make them visible when we’re reading on the computer.

As a matter of principle, I’m not going to use the reply button to respond to comments. Maybe I’ll start a trend. :-)

• natsfan1a - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM

That’s also my intention, although in cases such as those discussing the new format and workarounds, I think it’s helpful to use the reply function so that the information is all in one thread rather than scattered.

67. timdz - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Not sure if this is better or worse than the last format….

68. Dave - Aug 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Okay, here’s a comment to see if my user-name change worked. I won’t worry about changing my Gravatar, since avatars don’t seem to be showing up anyway.

69. Dave - Aug 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Yep, that’s me.

Timdz, I think mainly this is just different. Not better or worse, really. There was plenty I didn’t like about the Blogger platform, so I’m not so sad to leave that format behind.

70. Dave - Aug 27, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Well, I’m now on my iPhone, and I don’t see the last two comments I posted from my laptop. I do see avatars on my phone, though. Just not on the full website.

71. ehay2k - Aug 27, 2013 at 7:22 AM

OK, I am in. Looks good Mark! Agree with others that the archives are really valuable and need to be ported in their entirety.

72. joeseamhead - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I’m confused, but that’s nothing new. I couldn’t get registered as Joe Seamhead, only as joeseamhead. How did you get it to accept capital letters, David Proctor?

• Candide - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Joe -

Your REGISTERED name is joeseamhead, because, apparently, someone else already has Joe Seamhead.

But you can change your DISPLAY name to Joe Seamhead by going to your WordPress profile page (click on your name/avatar at the top right on this screen), and then when the new WordPress page pops up, click on the blue-underlined “Change” to the right of “username.” then follow the prompts to change your DISPLAY name.

When you log in, you’ll still have to log in as “joeseamhead” but your name will display to the rest of us as “Joe Seamhead.”

Hope this helps.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thanks, Candide, got it, but who the heck already registered using our names?

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Well, now. I inadvertently hit “report comment” with my fat thumb on the iPad. No retrieving it, nor does it ask what your problem is, though in this case it wasn’t one. I guess that we either keep swimming or drown!

73. umpiressuk - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I kind of like this format.

74. Candide - Aug 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Agree that we should be able to edit or delete our comments after posting. I’m a bit of a fanatic about spelling and punctuation (right, Manassas Nats Fan?), try to proof my copy before posting, but stuff still gets through. The other day, I discovered I’d posted that the Nats would need a couple of steaks of 10-6 the rest of the season to get to 85 wins. I decided to leave it because I figured with Desmond eagerly reading all my comments… #steak

I know the Disqus blogs allow you to edit your comments even after posting.

• Joe Seamhead - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’m with you on the no way to either preview, edit, or delete. I make a ton of spelling and punctuation errors, especially early morning and post tasty beverage times.

75. Joe Seamhead - Aug 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Testing to see if I followed Candide’s instructions correctly.

76. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

You won’t ever get to preview or edit your comments in this WordPress (unless they change the platform) blog. Not an option. Ain’t allowed. Not Mark’s choice. Nothing he can do. Out of his hands. Off the table. Don’t hold your breath. Give it up. It’s dead, Jim.

Here’s a change they can change back, and I wish they would — the links to other articles and blogs, outside of these comments, opened in new tabs in the old place, but in here it’s the same window. That can be fixed, and IMO, should be. Much more convenient than having to do that by hand.

77. NatsGnatsNats - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Site looks great so far, Mark. I decided to make an actual posting account instead of lurking as I have for the last 2+ years. Enjoy the work you do for this site, and looking forward to more. Go Nats!

78. Nattering Nat - Aug 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Testing. I like the new format, visually very readable.

I don’t intend to post again unless the Nats go 6-0 on this homestand, to make up for last game at KC, who seem to have done quite well since we left.