Aug 27, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The Nationals swapped relievers prior to Tuesday night’s series opener against the Marlins, recalling right-hander Ryan Mattheus from Class AAA and optioning lefty Xavier Cedeno back to Syracuse.
Mattheus had only been demoted to the minors 12 days ago after struggling upon his return from a broken hand. But he allowed only one run and six hits in 7 1/3 innings at Syracuse, including three straight scoreless appearances to end his brief stint there.
A key member of one of baseball’s deepest bullpens in 2012, Mattheus has a 6.26 ERA in 23 games with the Nationals, interrupted by a two-month stint on the disabled list with a broken right hand suffered when he punched his locker in San Diego following a rough outing.
Cedeno had only been called up on Friday following the trade of outfielder David DeJesus. The lefty has been promoted and demoted four separate times this season yet has appeared in only two games, allowing one hit in 1 1/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ramos comes through with go-ahead hit against D'Backs
- Ramos' late heroics help Nats top D-Backs, snap losing streak
- Papelbon debuts Ric Flair intro song at Nats Park
- Strasburg feels good after 2nd rehab start
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East