Aug 27, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
The Nationals swapped relievers prior to Tuesday night’s series opener against the Marlins, recalling right-hander Ryan Mattheus from Class AAA and optioning lefty Xavier Cedeno back to Syracuse.
Mattheus had only been demoted to the minors 12 days ago after struggling upon his return from a broken hand. But he allowed only one run and six hits in 7 1/3 innings at Syracuse, including three straight scoreless appearances to end his brief stint there.
A key member of one of baseball’s deepest bullpens in 2012, Mattheus has a 6.26 ERA in 23 games with the Nationals, interrupted by a two-month stint on the disabled list with a broken right hand suffered when he punched his locker in San Diego following a rough outing.
Cedeno had only been called up on Friday following the trade of outfielder David DeJesus. The lefty has been promoted and demoted four separate times this season yet has appeared in only two games, allowing one hit in 1 1/3 innings.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers