Aug 29, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
Though Stephen Strasburg threw just 22 pitches in his start on Wednesday night, Davey Johnson does not expect to adjust his rotation to let the right-hander pitch on Sunday.
Johnson said things can still change, but at this point he is looking at Ross Ohlendorf as the likely choice to face the New York Mets.
“I haven’t talked to [Steve McCatty], but we’ll probably stay with Ohlendorf on Sunday,” he said.
Strasburg wasn’t thrilled with the idea of pitching a day early when asked about it after Wednesday’s game, saying the team should just “keep it going.” After sleeping on the idea, Johnson also doesn’t see the need to change things during what has become the team’s best stretch of the 2013 season.
There is also Strasburg’s personal routine to consider.
“It’s changing what he’s used to,” Johnson said.
During Wednesday’s rain delay – one that lasted 1 hour, 12 minutes in total – Strasburg felt tightness in his back. It isn’t considered serious, but was a factor in the Nats pulling him from the game. Strasburg has little experience with rain delays and Johnson thinks that may have played a role in the minor injury.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League