Strasburg unlikely to start Sunday

Aug 29, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

Though Stephen Strasburg threw just 22 pitches in his start on Wednesday night, Davey Johnson does not expect to adjust his rotation to let the right-hander pitch on Sunday.

Johnson said things can still change, but at this point he is looking at Ross Ohlendorf as the likely choice to face the New York Mets.

“I haven’t talked to [Steve McCatty], but we’ll probably stay with Ohlendorf on Sunday,” he said.

Strasburg wasn’t thrilled with the idea of pitching a day early when asked about it after Wednesday’s game, saying the team should just “keep it going.” After sleeping on the idea, Johnson also doesn’t see the need to change things during what has become the team’s best stretch of the 2013 season.

There is also Strasburg’s personal routine to consider.

“It’s changing what he’s used to,” Johnson said.

During Wednesday’s rain delay – one that lasted 1 hour, 12 minutes in total – Strasburg felt tightness in his back. It isn’t considered serious, but was a factor in the Nats pulling him from the game. Strasburg has little experience with rain delays and Johnson thinks that may have played a role in the minor injury.

1. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM

As I wrote in an earlier thread, I’m not one to complain about five-man rotations, pitch counts, innings limits, etc. But I can only imagine what Bob Gibson would say in this situation. And I don’t think it would be ‘keep the rotation on schedule’ or anything similar to that.

2. natsfan1a - Aug 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Sounds like I’ll be cheering on the Big Windup at Sunday’s game. Go, Ross!

On a related note, hope that the game doesn’t run late, as evidently the Metro won’t. (We bought our tix back when it was scheduled as a day game.)

3. nats128 - Aug 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Good. Glad Davey rethought that.

4. Dave - Aug 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM

As I recall, Sunday’s game was always on the schedule as “Time TBA.” I know it was like that on my ticket group’s calendar when we had our game draft in late January.

• natsfan1a - Aug 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM

True in January, perhaps, but not “always.” I purchased my flex plan on February 11, and received the tix by snail mail on March 18. The online plan info, which I printed out at the time of purchase (I’m old school), shows a 1:35 start, as do the tickets that I received in March.