Aug 30, 2013, 5:54 PM EDT
Ross Ohlendorf it is.
Davey Johnson confirmed before Friday’s game the veteran right-hander will indeed start for the Nationals on Sunday night, and ruled out Stephen Strasburg’s availability to pitch a day early.
Strasburg threw a bullpen session on Friday and is fine after feeling tightness in his back in his previous start. Tanner Roark was the other candidate, but pitched two innings on Thursday night and will remain in the bullpen for now.
Johnson did say, however, this won’t be the last of Roark and talk of him starting. The Nats hope to give the rookie an opportunity before the year is over to see what he’s got in an expanded role. The 26-year-old could, in fact, be in play for a rotation spot next season.
“I’d still like to get him a shot at starting. I like the way he goes about his business,” Johnson said.
“You want to see him get the opportunity to see how it plays for going into next year. Would he be a candidate to start? You need to have as good a read on as many young pitchers as you can going forward. You never know about [Ross Detwiler] or [Taylor] Jordan, but you need to have more than just five.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats