Aug 30, 2013, 5:54 PM EST
Ross Ohlendorf it is.
Davey Johnson confirmed before Friday’s game the veteran right-hander will indeed start for the Nationals on Sunday night, and ruled out Stephen Strasburg’s availability to pitch a day early.
Strasburg threw a bullpen session on Friday and is fine after feeling tightness in his back in his previous start. Tanner Roark was the other candidate, but pitched two innings on Thursday night and will remain in the bullpen for now.
Johnson did say, however, this won’t be the last of Roark and talk of him starting. The Nats hope to give the rookie an opportunity before the year is over to see what he’s got in an expanded role. The 26-year-old could, in fact, be in play for a rotation spot next season.
“I’d still like to get him a shot at starting. I like the way he goes about his business,” Johnson said.
“You want to see him get the opportunity to see how it plays for going into next year. Would he be a candidate to start? You need to have as good a read on as many young pitchers as you can going forward. You never know about [Ross Detwiler] or [Taylor] Jordan, but you need to have more than just five.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?