Aug 31, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
A day after Bryce Harper’s effort on a groundout was questioned by his teammates and bench coach Randy Knorr, manager Davey Johnson elaborated on what he thinks happened in the eighth inning of the Nationals’ loss to the Mets.
Johnson believes Harper was favoring his left knee on the play, the same one that’s been sore since he collided twice with outfield walls back in May. Harper told CSN recently he hasn’t felt as strong since banging his knee, and Johnson now says it’s a concern.
“I think it’s still an issue,” Johnson said. “I think it’s probably there. He can probably play with it, but if he head-first slides or dives in the outfield, it’s probably going to flare up. But hopefully he’ll get through the season.”
Whatever the reason for Harper pulling up early on the ground ball, Johnson plans to have a talk with the 20-year-old about it.
“I don’t know what’s going through his mind. I’ll have a conversation,” he said. “He’s usually 100 percent in. But I’ll talk to him.”
Johnson also reiterated what was discussed back in June when Harper saw Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion, that offseason surgery may be necessary to remove the bursa sac in his knee.
“That was talked about a while back. That’s definitely an option,” Johnson said. “I think it’s going to be up to Bryce and Dr. Wiemi [Douoguih].”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club