Aug 31, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
A day after Bryce Harper’s effort on a groundout was questioned by his teammates and bench coach Randy Knorr, manager Davey Johnson elaborated on what he thinks happened in the eighth inning of the Nationals’ loss to the Mets.
Johnson believes Harper was favoring his left knee on the play, the same one that’s been sore since he collided twice with outfield walls back in May. Harper told CSN recently he hasn’t felt as strong since banging his knee, and Johnson now says it’s a concern.
“I think it’s still an issue,” Johnson said. “I think it’s probably there. He can probably play with it, but if he head-first slides or dives in the outfield, it’s probably going to flare up. But hopefully he’ll get through the season.”
Whatever the reason for Harper pulling up early on the ground ball, Johnson plans to have a talk with the 20-year-old about it.
“I don’t know what’s going through his mind. I’ll have a conversation,” he said. “He’s usually 100 percent in. But I’ll talk to him.”
Johnson also reiterated what was discussed back in June when Harper saw Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion, that offseason surgery may be necessary to remove the bursa sac in his knee.
“That was talked about a while back. That’s definitely an option,” Johnson said. “I think it’s going to be up to Bryce and Dr. Wiemi [Douoguih].”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies