Aug 31, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
With the Nationals closing the NL Wild Card deficit to 6.5 games this past week, there is a renewed hope that a playoff berth is possible. Mark, Jim Duquette and Chris Miller took stock of the Nats as they move into the month of September on last night’s Baseball Show.
In the first video they discussed the recent tear by Jayson Werth and how he has been the central figure of the Nats’ resurgence:
Tyler Clippard has also been a big part of the Nationals run pitching out of the bullpen. In the second video they look at how reliable he has been this season, and whether he should get a shot in the closer role:
And finally, in the third video, they review what has been an overall strong month of August for the Nationals. They have one more game to play tonight, but they sit 16-10 on the month which is easily their best 30-day stretch of the season.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem