Aug 31, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
With the Nationals closing the NL Wild Card deficit to 6.5 games this past week, there is a renewed hope that a playoff berth is possible. Mark, Jim Duquette and Chris Miller took stock of the Nats as they move into the month of September on last night’s Baseball Show.
In the first video they discussed the recent tear by Jayson Werth and how he has been the central figure of the Nats’ resurgence:
Tyler Clippard has also been a big part of the Nationals run pitching out of the bullpen. In the second video they look at how reliable he has been this season, and whether he should get a shot in the closer role:
And finally, in the third video, they review what has been an overall strong month of August for the Nationals. They have one more game to play tonight, but they sit 16-10 on the month which is easily their best 30-day stretch of the season.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season