Sep 2, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Roger Bernadina never wanted to leave the Nationals, the organization that signed him as a teenager and retained him for 12 years. But the outfielder understood why Washington released him two weeks ago and has embraced his new affiliation with the Phillies.
“Of course you want to be in the organization. Of course I wanted to be there as long as I can,” Bernadina said Monday before facing his former team for the first time. “I didn’t do whatever I needed to do, and now I’m here getting a new opportunity to show them.”
Signed by then-Expos general manager Jim Beattie as a 17-year-old in 2001, Bernadina had been the longest-tenured member of the Nationals organization, developing into a key member of last season’s NL East championship squad when he hit a career-best .291 while regularly making highlight-reel plays in the outfield.
But Bernadina, who missed nearly all of spring training while playing for his native Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic, got off to a rocky start this season and never found his stroke. He hit .178 with a .247 on-base percentage and .270 slugging percentage in 85 games, then started wasting away on manager Davey Johnson’s bench.
Over his final 41 games in a Nationals uniform, Bernadina received only 20 plate appearances.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins