Sep 5, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — If the Nationals’ season ends Sept. 29 in disappointing fashion, they undoubtedly will look back at the countless games they lost because they couldn’t deliver in key situations, whether at the plate, on the mound or especially in the field.
If, however, the Nationals somehow are able to extend their season into October — and the odds are still stacked against them, though not to the point of impossibility — they might well look back at Wednesday night’s 3-2 victory and rejoice over their ability to execute multiple highlight-reel defensive plays at critical moments.
“We haven’t had that many games where those breaks have gone our way,” reliever Craig Stammen said. “It’s usually the other way around. So it’s finally fun to be on that side like it was last year.”
A tense, taut win at Citizens Bank Park gave the Nationals a series victory, moved them to 71-68 and — thanks to the Cardinals’ wild, 16-inning triumph over the Reds — brought them to within 6 1/2 games of the NL’s final Wild Card berth.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half