Sep 5, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — If the Nationals’ season ends Sept. 29 in disappointing fashion, they undoubtedly will look back at the countless games they lost because they couldn’t deliver in key situations, whether at the plate, on the mound or especially in the field.
If, however, the Nationals somehow are able to extend their season into October — and the odds are still stacked against them, though not to the point of impossibility — they might well look back at Wednesday night’s 3-2 victory and rejoice over their ability to execute multiple highlight-reel defensive plays at critical moments.
“We haven’t had that many games where those breaks have gone our way,” reliever Craig Stammen said. “It’s usually the other way around. So it’s finally fun to be on that side like it was last year.”
A tense, taut win at Citizens Bank Park gave the Nationals a series victory, moved them to 71-68 and — thanks to the Cardinals’ wild, 16-inning triumph over the Reds — brought them to within 6 1/2 games of the NL’s final Wild Card berth.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday