Sep 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
The Nationals made a minor acquisition on Thursday, claiming corner infielder Mauro Gomez off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
Gomez, 28, hit .249 with 29 home runs, 73 RBI and 43 walks in 110 games with Triple-A Buffalo this year. His 29 homers tied current National Zach Walters for the most in the International League.
Gomez is 6-foot-2, 230 pounds and bats right-handed. He played 37 games with the Boston Red Sox in 2012, batting .275 with 17 RBI and 14 runs. In seven minor league seasons he has hit 150 home runs.
Gomez was originally signed as an amateur free agent by the Texas Rangers in 2003 out of the Dominican Republic. He also spent two years in the Atlanta Braves system from 2009-11.
The Blue Jays designated Gomez for assignment on Sept. 3.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'