Sep 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
The Nationals made a minor acquisition on Thursday, claiming corner infielder Mauro Gomez off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
Gomez, 28, hit .249 with 29 home runs, 73 RBI and 43 walks in 110 games with Triple-A Buffalo this year. His 29 homers tied current National Zach Walters for the most in the International League.
Gomez is 6-foot-2, 230 pounds and bats right-handed. He played 37 games with the Boston Red Sox in 2012, batting .275 with 17 RBI and 14 runs. In seven minor league seasons he has hit 150 home runs.
Gomez was originally signed as an amateur free agent by the Texas Rangers in 2003 out of the Dominican Republic. He also spent two years in the Atlanta Braves system from 2009-11.
The Blue Jays designated Gomez for assignment on Sept. 3.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies