Sep 5, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
The Nationals made a minor acquisition on Thursday, claiming corner infielder Mauro Gomez off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
Gomez, 28, hit .249 with 29 home runs, 73 RBI and 43 walks in 110 games with Triple-A Buffalo this year. His 29 homers tied current National Zach Walters for the most in the International League.
Gomez is 6-foot-2, 230 pounds and bats right-handed. He played 37 games with the Boston Red Sox in 2012, batting .275 with 17 RBI and 14 runs. In seven minor league seasons he has hit 150 home runs.
Gomez was originally signed as an amateur free agent by the Texas Rangers in 2003 out of the Dominican Republic. He also spent two years in the Atlanta Braves system from 2009-11.
The Blue Jays designated Gomez for assignment on Sept. 3.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent