Sep 6, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
While a weekend series in Miami may sound like a piece of cake for the Nationals, don’t go penciling in three wins just yet. For one thing, they’re going up tonight against the probable NL Rookie of the Year in right-hander Jose Fernandez. The 21-year-old has been dominant, leading the league in fewest hits allowed per nine innings (6.0) and most strikeouts notched per nine innings (9.8).
For another thing, Dan Haren takes the mound tonight for the Nationals, and he’s been quite unpredictable of late. After going 4-0 with a 1.32 ERA over a five-start stretch, Haren has been hit hard his last two times out, including a 2 2/3-inning nightmare last weekend against the Mets.
The good news: Bryce Harper is back in the Nationals’ lineup after sitting out Wednesday’s game in Philly with a sore left hip. Perhaps 48 consecutive hours off has done the young outfielder good.
I’m not in Miami this weekend, but please continue the conversation as always here…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
CF Denard Span CF Corey Brown
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RHP Dan Haren
LF Chris Coghlan
2B Donovan Solano
CF Christian Yelich
RF Giancarlo Stanton
1B Logan Morrison
3B Placido Polanco
SS Adeiny Hechavarria
C Jeff Mathis
RHP Jose Fernandez
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss