Sep 7, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
As the finish line to this season draws closer — the regular season ends three weeks from tomorrow — and as the Nationals’ already-slim playoff hopes fade even further away — they now trail the Reds by 8 games — there are going to be more opportunities to evaluate younger players with an eye on the future.
In that spirit, Tanner Roark tonight makes the first start of his big-league career. The rookie right-hander has impressed out of the bullpen, turning plenty of heads in a short amount of time, so the Nationals now want to see how he does in a longer outing. Can Roark be as successful facing batters a second and third time? We’ll get our first answer to that question tonight.
After getting shutout last night by the electric Jose Fernandez, the Nationals lineup gets a crack at 23-year-old right-hander Nathan Eovaldi tonight. This is Eovaldi’s third start against the Nats this season; he’s 1-1 with a 3.75 ERA, having allowed five runs on 11 hits in 12 total innings. He’ll face the full Nationals lineup, including Denard Span, who returns after missing last night’s game with a sore groin.
Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
CF Denard Span
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
2B Anthony Rendon
RHP Tanner Roark
3B Chris Coghlan
2B Donovan Solano
LF Christian Yelich
RF Giancarlo Stanton
CF Justin Ruggiano
1B Logan Morrison
SS Adeiny Hechavarria
C Jeff Mathis
RHP Nathan Eovaldi
HP Lance Barksdale
1B Gary Cederstrom (cc)
2B Angel Hernandez
3B Kerwin Danley
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder