Sep 7, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
As the finish line to this season draws closer — the regular season ends three weeks from tomorrow — and as the Nationals’ already-slim playoff hopes fade even further away — they now trail the Reds by 8 games — there are going to be more opportunities to evaluate younger players with an eye on the future.
In that spirit, Tanner Roark tonight makes the first start of his big-league career. The rookie right-hander has impressed out of the bullpen, turning plenty of heads in a short amount of time, so the Nationals now want to see how he does in a longer outing. Can Roark be as successful facing batters a second and third time? We’ll get our first answer to that question tonight.
After getting shutout last night by the electric Jose Fernandez, the Nationals lineup gets a crack at 23-year-old right-hander Nathan Eovaldi tonight. This is Eovaldi’s third start against the Nats this season; he’s 1-1 with a 3.75 ERA, having allowed five runs on 11 hits in 12 total innings. He’ll face the full Nationals lineup, including Denard Span, who returns after missing last night’s game with a sore groin.
Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
CF Denard Span
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
1B Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
2B Anthony Rendon
RHP Tanner Roark
3B Chris Coghlan
2B Donovan Solano
LF Christian Yelich
RF Giancarlo Stanton
CF Justin Ruggiano
1B Logan Morrison
SS Adeiny Hechavarria
C Jeff Mathis
RHP Nathan Eovaldi
HP Lance Barksdale
1B Gary Cederstrom (cc)
2B Angel Hernandez
3B Kerwin Danley
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)