Game 144: Nats at Mets

Sep 10, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

NEW YORK — Who’s the toughest pitcher the Nationals have faced this season? Clayton Kershaw? Matt Harvey? Tim Hudson? Well, they all did pitch well against the Nats, but an argument can also be made for … Dillon Gee. Yes, Dillon Gee.

In five starts against the Nationals this year, the Mets right-hander is 4-1 with a 2.16 ERA. He has surrendered more than two runs only once in those five starts, and on three occasions gave up zero or one run. As several members of the lineup put it a couple weeks ago when Gee beat them in D.C.: This guy just knows how to mix things up and leave hitters guessing.

Perhaps tonight the Nationals (winners in 20 of their last 29 games) can finally figure out Gee and provide some run support for Jordan Zimmermann, who is seeking to become the NL’s first 17-game winner. Denard Span will be seeking to extend his hitting streak to 21 games.

Updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS

RHP Dillon Gee

UMPIRES
HP John Hirschbeck (cc)
1B James Hoye
2B Jim Reynolds
3B Bob Davidson

7:11 p.m. — And we’re underway as Denard Span and his 20-game hitting streak dig in against Dillon Gee. If the streak is going to continue, it’s going to have to wait for another at-bat, though, because Span tapped a weak comebacker to Gee to get this one started.

7:17 p.m. — Jayson Werth and his league-leading OPS certainly aren’t fazed by the mighty Dillon Gee. Werth destroyed a 1-0 pitch deep to left-center for his 23rd homer, putting the Nats up 1-0 in the first. Good thing he connected, because Span, Ryan Zimmerman and Ian Desmond hit the ball a combined 75 feet off Gee.

7:23 p.m. — And that’s a 7-pitch, 1-2-3 bottom of the first for Jordan Zimmermann, who struck out Eric Young Jr. and then induced flyballs to right out of Juan Lagares and Daniel Murphy.

7:34 p.m. — Whoa, now Adam LaRoche goes opposite-field off Gee for his 19th homer of the season, his first since Aug. 17. Tyler Moore nearly did the same, but settled for a double off the right-field wall. Regardless, the Nats are actually making some impressive contact off Gee tonight. Because of it, they lead 2-0 in the middle of the second.

7:56 p.m. — Hey, it’s another hit for Denard Span, who leads off the top of the third with a double down the first-base line. That extends his hit streak to 21 games. And then moments later, he scored on just another RBI double by Jayson Werth, whose slugging percentage is up to something like 3.578 at this point. (I could be just a bit off on that.) Nats lead 3-0 now.

8:05 p.m. — There will be no no-hitter drama tonight. Omar Quintanilla led off the bottom of the third with a sharp base hit to left off Zimmermann. Otherwise, the right-hander has dominated and has now completed three scoreless innings.

8:23 p.m. — In the 13th inning of this series, the Mets have finally scored a run. Daniel Murphy led off the fourth with a double, then scored on Justin Turner’s RBI single to left. Zimmermann wound up surrendering three hits in the inning, showing the first signs of any struggles tonight. He got out of it, though, and preserved the Nats’ 3-1 lead as we move to the fifth.

8:30 p.m. — It appears Dillon Gee is turning back into Dillon Gee: Nats Killer. He’s retired eight in a row since Werth’s RBI double in the third.

8:38 p.m. — That was ugly. LaRoche was charged with two errors on one botched pickoff attempt. The first error was for dropping Zimmermann’s pickoff throw and letting Eric Young Jr. take second base. The second error was for then throwing wildly toward second base, allowing Young to advance to third. Not good, but Zimmermann did escape the jam, so it remains 3-1 Nats after five.

9:10 p.m. — Well, that escalated quickly. After the Nats took a 4-1 lead in the top of the sixth thanks to yet another double by Werth and then a Ramos RBI single, Zimmermann got into a heap of trouble in the bottom of the inning. He allowed three straight hits to open the frame and was yanked by Davey Johnson with the score suddenly 4-3. Enter Craig Stammen, who cleaned up the mess nicely, with some defensive help. Stammen struck out Travis d’Arnaud. Ramos then gunned down Matt den Dekker trying to steal second. And then Zimmerman made a spectacular diving grab of Quintanilla’s hard smash to third, ending the inning. It’s now a 1-run game, though, heading to the seventh.

9:21 p.m. — What a start to Zach Walters’ big-league career. He just singled off Gee and is now 2-for-2 since joining the Nationals. Unfortunately, he was wiped out on a Span double play. So it remains a 4-3 game at the stretch as Drew Storen enters.

9:35 p.m. — OK, what odds would you have gotten before the game on the Nats throwing out two basestealers tonight, with Craig Stammen and Drew Storen on the mound at the time? Props to both right-handers for working on getting the ball to the plate quicker, and props to Ramos for a couple of perfect throws to second base, helping preserve the Nats’ 4-3 lead as we move to the eighth.

9:42 p.m. — Meanwhile, the Nats bats have gone silent. We go to the bottom of the eighth, Tyler Clippard in to protect a 1-run lead.

9:52 p.m. — Matt den Dekker just came a couple feet shy of tying this game, but instead it’s just a long flyout to the warning track and a 1-2-3 eighth for Clippard. Still 4-3 as Rafael Soriano begins to warm up.

10:01 p.m. — Interesting decision by Davey Johnson in the top of the ninth. He sacrificed defense (Corey Brown) in an attempt to tack on some late runs (pinch-hitting Scott Hairston against lefty Tim Byrdak). And it worked. Hairston clubbed a 2-run homer on the first pitch he saw, extending the lead to 6-3.

10:13 p.m. — That’s it. Soriano closes out a 6-3 victory, the Nats’ 21st in their last 30 games. They’re 6 games over .500 for the first time this season. And with the Reds getting clobbered by the Cubs, the Nats are about to move to within 6 games of the final Wild Card berth with 18 to play.

1. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM

So is the ‘reserve your playoff tix’ Nats ad I saw referenced on Twitter real or a spoof?

2. Section 222 - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

It’s real! At least they give us till Sept. 20, because I seriously doubt anyone is putting down a deposit now:

On the heels of a strong August, your Washington Nationals head into the home stretch of the regular season within shouting distance of October baseball. With a little NATITUDE, some timely hitting and dominant pitching, the Nationals have the potential to make a postseason appearance for the second year in a row.
    As a Season Plan Holder, we want to ensure you have the first opportunity to purchase tickets to any potential postseason games. On the following tabs, you will find important information including:
    2013 Postseason invoice with September 20 deadline
    Information on purchasing additional postseason tickets with 2014 renewal
    If you have any questions, please contact our Ticket Sales and Service Department by calling 202.675.NATS(6287), Option 1.
    This season has seen our best average attendance since Nationals Park opened six years ago and our success is due to an energized fan base of dedicated fans like you. We look forward to your continued support and hope you’ll join us at Nationals Park for an exciting finish to the 2013 season.
    Sincerely,
    Washington Nationals Baseball Club

• naterialguy - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I love that they are going to refund all your money except the $20 processing fee. !!!!WTF
      When did Dan Snyder start coaching the Nats ticket office?

• Steady Eddie - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

i suspect it will be a pretty easy decision to make by midnight (I assume that’s the deadline) on the 20th.

We have 11 games to play by then; the Reds have 9. Our WC elimination number is now 12 (combination of Reds wins and Nats losses) — by the way, the lowest E number for the plausible AL contenders is 16 for KC.

An pretty optimistic view of our prospects in those 11 games is for us to go 7-4 (one loss @ to the Mets and Phils, two to the Braves; if we do better than that we will be genuinely hot). If the Reds go 4-5 in those 9 games (and of course, little sign of their doing that with their 7-3 record over the past 10 games) our E number will be down to 4 with 8 games to go.

Awfully hard to see us not losing 2 or 3 of those with 6 against the Cards and Dbacks AWAY, and even harder to see the Reds not winning at least 2 or 3 of their remaining 8 against the Mets (3) in Cincy and the Bucs.

Illustrates the hot streak we would have to go on and the collapse the Reds would have to have.

3. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Check your mail when you get home. Not only do they send you the email, but you get a nice invoice in the mail for your Playoff Strips!!!

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quiz: How best to describe said ad: Optimism? Chutzpah? Delusional? Greedy? Nonsensical? Foresightful?

• Sec 309 - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Cojones.

• naterialguy - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would say greedy since they plan on making the $20 processing fee no refundable! lets see, 10,000 STH x $20 = $200,000 for NOTHING. Nice work if you can get it?
        “it’s good to be the king”

• David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I mean, they have to do it “just in case.”

• nats106 - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Don’t you have an “all of the above”. New slogan to replace Natitude:

Even if our fans have given up, our front office hasn’t. Line up now for your playoff tickets.

4. naterialguy - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Not be all negative, the fact that they can still technically make the post season is a blessing I should embrace

5. breakbad1 - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

A little OT, but I’m thinking of a couple of weeks ago when Chick Hernandez said Nats’ fans “were MIA” and Harper was criticizing attendance in a report by Mark. The game where they were knocking the fans was the same day as the MLK speech anniversary, with everyone in the DC warned to minimize travel into town because the event was going to be so crowded.

It was also the same day it rained all day, when a delay looked likely. I think we had 18,000 fans in attendance.

Last night the Orioles, in a heated battle for a wild card slot, played the New York Yankees, with CC Sabathia facing Tillman (who was 15-5 when the game started 16-5 after the 0’s won.) The announced attendance: 17,456. (In reality it was much lower than that.)

So: are we seeing any reporting on the lousy attendance in Baltimore, facing the Yankees in the heat of a wild card race? Mark will this be discussed on tonight’s Baseball Show?

• naterialguy - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hey angelos said the area could not support two teams

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Any chance you can copy-n-paste your comment into an email for Chick?

6. naterialguy - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Wow it is really amazing how any fewer posters we have now. When was last time where on a regular basis there would be less than 100 posts on a game thread?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What are you talking about? Nobody here agrees with me.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Can I be an imaginary part of an imaginary problem?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Werth’s double didn’t miss by more than two feet. Hit just below the orange line. Dang.

7. Theophilus T.S. - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

WordPress has something to do w/ that. It happens that I have both a WordPress account and a Google account (not necessarily something to be proud of. But just getting the WordPress account to morph into Theophilus was not easy, certainly difficult enuf to discourage people from postings.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM

In hindsight, it might have been useful to roll this out a little better, maybe give folks a chance to learn how to get a WordPress handle (honestly, it’s not that hard), and get used to the new look. But that’s water over the damned now.

• dcwx61 - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

yes, I’m no longer jeffwx. I’m not sure who I am anymore.

8. natsfan1a - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM

On another note, looking forward to seeing some baseball tonight after having been out of town for several days.

Go, Z’nn! Go, NATS!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled playoff tix/attendance/commenting controversies. ;-)

9. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM

ESPN just tweeted this. Span is hitting pretty much everything.

• nats6245 - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I wonder how William O. Douglas Leffler is taking this streak — maybe he reversed jinxed it.

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

and also the former commentor that swore that Werth was nothing but an way-overpriced bench player . . . ?

10. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I hate Dillon Gee

11. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Good Grief Jayson is on Fire!

12. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

So Zim just has to do what Gio did last night and we win.

13. Joe Seamhead - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Where have all the Werth haters gone to hide? Considering the broken wrist last year, and the Heintz 57 variety this year, it’s just unbelievable watching this guy.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I prefer to think they’ve converted.

14. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

What would have been interesting if Gio had gotten the no-hitter–where would the Post have put the story? Page E-5 or E-6?

15. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Wait, there’s a MRS. Met?? That’s just wrong.

16. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM

That was SO close to a home run.

17. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

FP was right, if Lombardozzi takes that throw in front of the bag it’s an out. The throw beat him.

18. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Aight now….. Way to go Jayson and Adam….

Aight Span, keep the streak alive…

19. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

OK, that double by Span wasn’t remotely close to a strike. AND he pulled an outside pitch. AND YET this one got through.

Maybe it’s like I said, the baseball gods are taking sides, both ways.

20. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Well, I can’t delete posts anymore, so I’ll just move them.

21. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

So, Hey, MRS B. You missed yesterday’s game for the other. Regrets, if Gio had pulled it off?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I recorded it.. And watched the entire thing after the football game… No regrets at all…. Gio pitched a beauty… Looked like his 19th win from last year (if I’m remember ping correctly) …

And I thought he got screwed on the fair ball…. Thought it was foul…

But it’s been times that I watch the Nats over the Skins (last year I went to a game and recorded the football game)

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM

See, now that’s dedication.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yeah… When I support my teams, I support them….

22. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Ramos needs to learn to block balls.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I think he knows how, he’s just saving his hamstrings. The last thing he needs now is 95 in the jewels.

• David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

He’s never been particularly good back there, even when healthy.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

He was healthy at one time, wasn’t he? I’d completely forgotten that.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

But seriously, you’re right, I think, that he was never as athletic as, say, Suzuki, or even Solano. And I’ve often wondered if he was breaking in a new mitt. But there are lots of skills for a catcher.

23. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

FP, den Decker absolutely DID swing.

24. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Znn needs to work on his behind-the-back fielding.

25. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Gio seems to be enjoying the concert.

26. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

That was a debacle.

27. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Ouch… That wasnt good…

28. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Good job not letting it bother you, JZimm.

29. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Just a little throwback moment there. In case you were thinking the other baseball gods had forgotten.

30. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Y’know, they could almost have given LaRoche both errors.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Wow, they DID give him both.

That’s not the Summoner I was hoping to be.

• David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM

They did

31. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Awww, c’mon Jayson–you’ve got a double and a home run, gotta go for three there!

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Trade him right now!

32. paul brandt - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

love how Werth chucks his bat after a hit.

33. paul brandt - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Desi looked slow running to 2nd…????

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM

FP said Desmond was running too hard and it slowed him down. WT?

There’s a line in the play Bleacher Bums, where one fan, talking about a fly ball that didn’t get out, says, “He hit it too good to get out.” (I may be paraphrasing.)

34. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Shucks…. Should have kept going, full steam ahead….

35. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Thank god Ramos got Werth in. That was scaring me.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

FIrst and third, nobody out, nothing if Buffalo doesn’t come through there.

I was just about to demand they trade everybody.

36. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM

How much would a bat Werth chucked be worth , if a bat Werth chucked had worth?

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

37. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Am I correct in saying that Mark’s twitter feed does not update automatically? It only updates upon refreshing the page.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I’m not sure, Faraz, but for some reason I had the impression it was automatic. I could be wrong. But I F5 a lot.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Haha same here! I refresh a lot too.

38. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Cubs are up 6-0

39. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM

JZim looks tired. He’s missing spots. Big bullpen Davey.

40. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Come on Jordan….

41. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Wow, we need to figure out which of the baseball gods are on our side and start lighting incense, now.

Great play by Span. But what else is new?

42. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Stammen. Get Stammen.

43. paul brandt - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

agree we need to get him out before its tied up…come on Davey, get off your as&…

p.s. too late…what BS

• David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Somebody has to actually warm up, Paul. That takes time. There was no reason or someone to begin warming at the start of the inning.

44. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Drats….

45. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Uh oh. How big that run Ramos tacked on now?

46. paul brandt - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Davey, you are pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

yeah, he threw such a lame pitch . . . .

47. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM

What a pitch….

48. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM

OK, now that we have a close game and 80 comments in the sixth inning, I think we’re back!

• paul brandt - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM

nice play Ramos & Desi & Zim…DP, you bring up a valid point but just thought given the expanded roster, you should have some arms ready in case what happened did happen since these are all must wins but i get what you are saying…and i am trying to drum up some comments by being a jerk…haha.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Patience, grasshopper. The wise man lets go of all results, whether good or bad, and is focused on the action alone.

49. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Nice D!

50. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Now THERE’s that old “NO YOU DON”T EITHER” I remember from last year. And from the first half of 2005, too.

51. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM

How do we pitch this guy?

He’s batting 1.000. We better walk him.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

AND he STILL IS.

TOLD you to walk him.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Well, Drew says he works better with pressure.

“You got a job for my grandfather? He puts cheese in the mousetraps.”

Oh, we don’t have any mice!

“That’s OK, he brings his own mice with him.”

52. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Oh c’mon Drew.

53. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Why would Ramos call for 3 straight breaking balls… Not smart…

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

because Young is a really good fastball hitter?

54. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Ramos is SO much better than Suzuki at throwing out runners.

• David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Although in fairness to Zuke, the pitchers have been doing a better job too.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I said it then, I’ll say it now: stealing off the pitcher wasn’t a problem when Pudge was here.

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Indeed. Storen used to be a terrible 1.6 or 1.7 sec to the plate, and this inning he was 1.3 to the plate.

You need that _and_ a spot on throw. Nice job, both Storen and Ramos.

55. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Storen looks rusty.

56. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You’re killing me, Drew.

57. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ramos throwing out Eric Young. Would have lost that bet.

Was just thinking why walk Young after beingahead 0-2.

Then ahead of Lagaris 1-2 and walking him.

What is the deal. Lack of focus?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

He looks rusty to me.

58. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That is probably the worse Storen has looked for an inning since coming back from the minors.

Now get some rack on runs.

• David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Looked pretty bad against the Royals

59. MicheleS - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

So this is what are catchers look like when the Pitchers actually are quick to the plate… good stuff!

60. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Mark why is that damn band still playing?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

MNF, it’s a promo night at the park, they’re playing all night.

If you can tune out Carp, a cover band should be no problem, right?

• knoxvillenat - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I can laugh at Carp but that damn band has got to go!

61. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

OK, we’re over 100. Challenge accomplished.

62. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM

WHEW.

63. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I am use to walk up music, but as an outfielder you need to hear the bat.

I would think the major leagues would say no to this promo.

64. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

The Buffalo forgot the rules.

Someone pitches high and tight, you reply by getting a hit.

65. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Thanks Scotty.

66. adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Mrs B — that was a first pitch swing ;-)

• Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

A ball down the middle in your wheel house I am all fo winging.

67. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I would love to love Hairston.

He at times looks great against lefties.

I would like him to goon against lefties only.

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That’s what he did last year (for the Mets). (Well, he played against both RHP and LHP, but he hit 11 HR and batted .286 against LHP) No idea why he couldn’t do it this year.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

we do have him for next season so we can keep him around.

68. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Edwin Jackson homered for the Cubs, against the Reds.

69. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Why not put Eury Perez in for defense for Hairston? Hopefully it doesn’t matter.

70. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Soriano come on no more base runners.

71. breakbad1 - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The PR deception of Nats fans is ongoing.

After the Hairston homer, Carpenter said, “That man has been CLUTCH.”

Hairston is hitting .188.

He is anything but clutch.

The whole things sounds like an over-hyped campaign to sell tickets for 2014. They want us to forget Ryan, Werth, LaRoche, Desmond, Span, Harper, the bullpen, and the coaching staff during April, May, June, July, and part of August.

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Well, I’m still loving life with our lads. Stay away from my Wheaties, Bad,
      LOL.

• adcwonk - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM

it’s not a campaign to sell tix — they’re just over-the-top homers a bit too often for my taste

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Because G-d forbid that a for-profit entertainment enterprise would try to sell tickets. It’s not as if this were capitalism, or something.

• nats6245 - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Last night, weren’t you asking “Won’t they know about our absolute determination not to hold runners, complemented by a steadfast desire not to establish a running game of our own?”

Didn’t our battery catch two base stealers tonight? That would give me the impression that Stammen, Storen and Ramos had something less than absolute determination not to hold runners.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

It’s hyperbole, exaggeration to make a point. I’ve used it millions of times.

• nats6245 - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Sec 3, my sofa — I’m trying to get a sense of whether breakbad gets carried away with pessimism (and whether we should make sure he doesn’t go near any bridges or sharp objects.) I don’t know if breakbad usually sounds this depressed, or if this is a short term phase. In asking about the battery, I was referring to one of the questions in the litany under that name last night. The comments tonight about FP’s positive opinion of Hairston’s homer sounding like a PR campaign left me with the same questions.

72. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

UNTUCKED.

73. David Proctor - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM

6 games over .500, the most over we’ve been all year.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Six back of Cincinnati if the Cachorros can hold a 9-run lead for 3 innings. Hey, they can still win 93 games.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Oh, and Scott–you’ve got 18 games left.

74. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Is that a new patch of grey in FP’s top?

75. paul brandt - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

nice win!!

76. natsfan1a - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Untucked here. Go, Cubs, go!

77. IsawTeddywin - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Ah yes, sf fans shouldn’t attend another game, ‘ cause you know, that ws win was so long ago

• IsawTeddywin - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Was trying to reply to bad, missed