Sep 10, 2013, 7:51 PM EST
NEW YORK — In the past, Denard Span might have shunned any questions about a hot streak of his at the plate. But the way this season has gone for the Nationals center fielder, he figures why not embrace the positive and fully acknowledge the fact he entered Tuesday night’s game on a career-best, 20-game hitting streak.
“I normally don’t even like talking about hitting,” he said. “But I’ve been through so much this year, I’m almost to a point where a lot of it is it just being Sept. 10 and I’m physically and mentally a little worn out. Whatever. If you guys want to talk about it, let’s talk about it.”
There’s plenty to talk to Span about these days. It’s not just the hitting streak, which he extended to 21 games with a third-inning double. It’s the fact he has resurrected his season thanks to a change in approach and attitude and, with fewer than three weeks to go, has positioned himself to finish right around his career norms for offensive production.
“I mean, if [the streak] ends today, it was fun,” he said. “I’ve gotten going. That’s the most important thing. A hitting streak is nice, but actually just to get going after beating myself up personally is the best feeling.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett