Sep 10, 2013, 7:51 PM EST
NEW YORK — In the past, Denard Span might have shunned any questions about a hot streak of his at the plate. But the way this season has gone for the Nationals center fielder, he figures why not embrace the positive and fully acknowledge the fact he entered Tuesday night’s game on a career-best, 20-game hitting streak.
“I normally don’t even like talking about hitting,” he said. “But I’ve been through so much this year, I’m almost to a point where a lot of it is it just being Sept. 10 and I’m physically and mentally a little worn out. Whatever. If you guys want to talk about it, let’s talk about it.”
There’s plenty to talk to Span about these days. It’s not just the hitting streak, which he extended to 21 games with a third-inning double. It’s the fact he has resurrected his season thanks to a change in approach and attitude and, with fewer than three weeks to go, has positioned himself to finish right around his career norms for offensive production.
“I mean, if [the streak] ends today, it was fun,” he said. “I’ve gotten going. That’s the most important thing. A hitting streak is nice, but actually just to get going after beating myself up personally is the best feeling.”
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper hangs with Jordan, Jeter, Manning, RG3 & others
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals