Sep 10, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
NEW YORK — In the past, Denard Span might have shunned any questions about a hot streak of his at the plate. But the way this season has gone for the Nationals center fielder, he figures why not embrace the positive and fully acknowledge the fact he entered Tuesday night’s game on a career-best, 20-game hitting streak.
“I normally don’t even like talking about hitting,” he said. “But I’ve been through so much this year, I’m almost to a point where a lot of it is it just being Sept. 10 and I’m physically and mentally a little worn out. Whatever. If you guys want to talk about it, let’s talk about it.”
There’s plenty to talk to Span about these days. It’s not just the hitting streak, which he extended to 21 games with a third-inning double. It’s the fact he has resurrected his season thanks to a change in approach and attitude and, with fewer than three weeks to go, has positioned himself to finish right around his career norms for offensive production.
“I mean, if [the streak] ends today, it was fun,” he said. “I’ve gotten going. That’s the most important thing. A hitting streak is nice, but actually just to get going after beating myself up personally is the best feeling.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup