Sep 11, 2013, 11:52 PM EST
NEW YORK — Ryan Zimmerman likes to point out that over the course of 162 games, established ballplayers will produce their usual offensive numbers. But only a few weeks ago, it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to doubt the Nationals third baseman would eventually get there, especially in the power department.
When the calendar shifted from August to September, Zimmerman found himself with only 15 home runs and 61 RBI to his ledger, well off the pace he has established over the first seven years of his career. Add to that his well-documented throwing issues and this was shaping up to be a wholly un-Zimmerman-like season.
But sure enough, as autumn approaches and the season winds down, here is Zimmerman going on a tear, building his numbers back up and proving himself right again. Things do have a way of balancing themselves out over 162 games.
“I’m just trying to hit the ball hard like I’ve been doing all year, and finally it’s starting to come around,” he said after clubbing yet another homer in the Nationals’ 3-0 victory over the Mets on Wednesday. “Like I tell you guys all the time: At the end of the year, usually people have what they’re supposed to have. I’ve been hot lately. Hopefully I can keep it going for these next 15-20 games.”
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond