Sep 11, 2013, 11:52 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Ryan Zimmerman likes to point out that over the course of 162 games, established ballplayers will produce their usual offensive numbers. But only a few weeks ago, it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to doubt the Nationals third baseman would eventually get there, especially in the power department.
When the calendar shifted from August to September, Zimmerman found himself with only 15 home runs and 61 RBI to his ledger, well off the pace he has established over the first seven years of his career. Add to that his well-documented throwing issues and this was shaping up to be a wholly un-Zimmerman-like season.
But sure enough, as autumn approaches and the season winds down, here is Zimmerman going on a tear, building his numbers back up and proving himself right again. Things do have a way of balancing themselves out over 162 games.
“I’m just trying to hit the ball hard like I’ve been doing all year, and finally it’s starting to come around,” he said after clubbing yet another homer in the Nationals’ 3-0 victory over the Mets on Wednesday. “Like I tell you guys all the time: At the end of the year, usually people have what they’re supposed to have. I’ve been hot lately. Hopefully I can keep it going for these next 15-20 games.”
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase