Game 146: Nats at Mets

Sep 12, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

NEW YORK — Here’s a sentence that features all kinds of outrageous elements: The Washington Nationals today will be trying to sweep a four-game series on the road, earn their sixth straight win and their 23rd in their last 32 games, with Tanner Roark on the mound trying to improve to 6-0 in his career. Stop and think about all that for a moment. Wow.

Such is the situation the Nationals face today, and they’re happy to be considering all of it. Roark has been a huge, pleasant surprise and today makes his second big-league start, trying somehow to maintain his sparkling 0.94 ERA. Does the 26-year-old right-hander have a real future in this team’s rotation? That’s still to be determined, but every game he pitches like he has, he certainly makes a stronger case for himself.

Veteran Aaron Harang, a bust in Seattle this season who just signed a minor-league deal with the Mets a couple weeks ago, will be opposing a Nationals lineup that has hit .290 and scored an average of 5.3 runs over the last 31 games. The Reds are off today, so a win would move the Nats to within 5 1/2 games of the final Wild Card berth with 16 to go.

Updates to come, please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS

RHP Aaron Harang

UMPIRES
HP Jim Reynolds
1B Bob Davidson
2B John Hirschbeck (cc)
3B James Hoye

1:10 p.m. — We are underway on a gray afternoon here in Queens. It’s Flushing Day at the ballpark. Insert your own joke here.

1:17 p.m. — Sweet Fancy Moses, Ryan Zimmerman did it again. He’s got eight homers in his last 10 games. This one was a bomb to center field, a solo shot that gives the Nats an early 1-0 lead.

1:30 p.m. — But Tanner Roark gives the run right back in the bottom of the first on a single by Eric Young Jr., a sacrifice bunt by Juan Lagares and an RBI double by Daniel Murphy. Jayson Werth did have a chance to cut the ball off in right field, but he couldn’t quite get there in time, so that allowed the run to score. So it’s 1-1 after one, and there’s worse news: We’re now in a rain delay. Begging the question: Why did they start this game on time if they knew there was foul weather nearby?

2:10 p.m. — They’ve announced the game will resume at 2:20 p.m., but I’ll believe it when I see it. There’s a ton of water on the warning track in front of the Nationals’ dugout, and there’s nowhere for it to go. The grounds crew is just pushing it around, but there’s no drain.

2:26 p.m. — Well, play ball! Just hope nobody has to make a catch along the third-base railing, cause it’s still a moat down there.

2:32 p.m. — Adam LaRoche, ladies and gentlemen. He launched a drive off the top of the wall in left-center, which was originally ruled a double by John Hirschbeck but upon review was correctly changed to a home run. That’s LaRoche’s 20th homer of the season and the 11th hit by the Nationals in 29 innings played so far in this series. The Mets have hit zero. Nats lead 2-1 in the second.

2:41 p.m. — Roark, meanwhile, returned despite the near-hourlong delay and showed no ill effects. He retired the side in the bottom of the second, striking out Anthony Recker.

3:01 p.m. — Roark through three innings now, having allowed only those two early hits in the bottom of the first. He’s bounced back well from the rain delay. We’ll see how long Davey lets him go, though. He’s at 38 pitches. Still 2-1 Nats as we go to the fourth.

3:23 p.m. — We’ve got a tie game again after the Mets strung together three hits in the bottom of the fourth. Bryce Harper did help matters by throwing out the trailing runner at third as Duda scored ahead of him. But it’s 2-2 as we go to the fifth.

3:31 p.m. — And the Nats retake the lead as Wilson Ramos launches his 13th homer of the season and the 12th by the Nationals in this series. (The Mets still have zero.) I wrote before the game about Ramos starting his 20th straight game today and his plan to start at least 23 straight. All the work doesn’t appear to be affecting his ability to hit for power. It’s 3-2 Nats now.

3:46 p.m. — Um, Aaron Harang has struck out 10 Nats batters in six innings today. That’s a bit surprising.

3:55 p.m. — Just another impressive outing by Roark, who has completed six innings of 2-run ball on 78 pitches. There’s some action in the bullpen, so that may be it for him today. If so, he’s in line for the win, which would make him 6-0 in his career.

4:04 p.m. — There’s a big insurance run for the Nats bullpen. LaRoche led off the seventh by nearly clubbing another homer, but settled instead for a double off the wall. He wound up scoring on Rendon’s sac fly. So it’s 4-2 now as Craig Stammen enters for the bottom of the seventh. I’m curious to see how Davey uses his bullpen to finish this one out, given how much Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano have pitched lately.

4:18 p.m. — Stammen got himself into trouble in the bottom of the seventh, putting runners on second and third with two outs. With the count full against Lagares, he was one bad pitch away from turning this into a tie game. But Stammen reached back and fired a 93 mph fastball to strike out Lagares and quash the threat, a big-time out from the right-hander. So it remains a 4-2 Nats lead as we move to the eighth.

4:33 p.m. — Lots happening in the top of the eighth. Denard Span, in likely his last chance to extend his hitting streak, roped a hustle double to right-center, so the streak now stands at 23 games. That’s the second-longest in Nats history, behind only Ryan Zimmerman’s 30-game streak in 2009. So, appropriately enough, Zim doubled home Span just now. Werth then was plunked by Frank Francisco and had some words for the right-hander. Though not nearly as many as the New Yawker sitting in front of the press box, who yelled out “Be a professional, you baby! Walk to first base!” among other things. Meanwhile, Harper wound up breaking up a double play at second base, and that allowed Zimmerman to score. So it’s now 6-2 as we go to the bottom of the eighth.

4:49 p.m. — Unbelievable. The Nats hit another homer. Anthony Rendon did it this time, giving the Nats 13 homers in this series. The Mets still don’t have one. It’s 7-2 in the ninth.

5:02 p.m. — That’s it. Nats win, 7-2. They sweep the four-game series. They’ve won six in a row overall and 23 of 32. With the Reds off today, they head home 5 1/2 games back with 16 to play.

1. NatsLady - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Get this game in before the rain, get on the plane and come home for the cooler weather and the sweep of the Phillies. :)

Tanner Roark, pitch good. Guys, hit good. Simple. Go Nats!

2. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Is there any site that tracks balks called and can tell us from what base other than HP Balkin’ Bob calls more balks?

3. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Here’s something else you didn’t think you’d be reading in Sept., back in spring training: Tanner Roark could well wind up with more wins than Stephen Strasburg.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Tanner who?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

You know–they guy they got from Texas for Cristian Guzman. This guy.

As opposed to this kid.
        Understandable confusion, though.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Oh, wait, I got ahead of myself there. I’ve slipped into another alternate reality again, haven’t I?

THIS is Tanner B. Roark.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

HEY, it worked!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

OK, I think I’ve got the time machine fixed. I’m going to try to pop back five minutes and leave a post.

4. snerdblurter - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

West coast Nats fan here wishing I could be there to support the boys these last few weeks…. Does anyone have the latest stat on the Nats’ record this year when the offense scores 3 runs or more? I’d also interested to know how it stacks up against other teams around the league. (if there is a database site I could use to query this type of thing, that would be cool too). Thanks.

5. Theophilus T.S. - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I am curious what the brass credit for Roark’s success, other than novelty. I’m not saying he hasn’t been great — he has. But you would not have expected it from his minor league record and his stuff isn’t typical for a phenom on an extended streak. (Is 28+ innings a streak?) His staple seems to be a 92 mph fastball that rises and breaks. Notwithstanding that he seems to pitch toward the upper part of the strike zone rather than the lower his ground balls slightly exceed his air outs; he has good command, gets ahead in a lot of counts. Do the powers that be really think he can sustain this? I hope the pixie dust hangs around his FB for at least a couple more weeks.

• Sonny G 10 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The “he has good command” part of your statement may be paramount here.

• jd - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I think Martis started out something like 5-1 or 6-1.

1) It’s harder to sustain once everyone has scouted you.
      2) Pitcher’s W/L record don’t mean very much.

6. Sonny G 10 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

The wife, dog, and myself are in a campground near Spokane, WA. Love reading all the commentary in the blogs herein. Hoping for another Nats win today. If they win out the rest of the season with me away from home, maybe I should never go back home! Naw, I’ll have to come up with a better superstition. GO NATS, GO!!!

7. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Between Roark, Jordan, and Karns, hopefully there is one durable #4 or #5 starter for the future.

• jd - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I think Jordan is the real deal, I think Karns may be a good back end reliever and I have to see a lot more of Roark before I join the rank of the believers.

I am also very excited about Cole and Ray (may be ready in a year).

• Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I trust your judgment on that. You follow our prospects closely, but don’t tend to see every one of them as a star.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I’m with you JD. Taylor Jordan is the most intriguing to me given his repertoire. The slider development is a key and if he can perfect the cutter in the off-season he could get even better. The kid is trying to Vetter himself and he’s not taking his limited success for granted.

He can be a very good number 5 in this rotation and if he adds a good cutter and keeps working on that slider, look out!

8. natsfan1a - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hoping to finish up today’s work so that I can watch at least some of the game on tv.

Go, Ro-ark! Go, NATS!!

And sofa, from the last thread, I generally just do a search on “[TEAM NAME] blogs” and see what comes up.

Sec 3, My Sofa – Sep 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM

In fact, HEY 1A — you know about these things. Are there any Marlins blogs? Maybe we could all go in there and stick up for Fernandez. Lord knows they don’t have fans to do it.

9. natsfan1a - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Oh, and SNAP! ;-)

Lord knows they don’t have fans to do it.

10. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

The Nats have won 22 of their last 31 games. That’s an otherworldly .710 winning percentage. The stretch started after we were swept by the Braves in early August. After that disastrous series, we stood at 54-60, 15.5 games behind the Braves and 9 games behind the Reds for the last WC spot. We’ve had three 5 game winning streaks since then. We’ve won 8 series, and lost only 2. We’ve hit the cover off the ball and pitched great. Jayson Werth is putting up MVP numbers and Rafael Soriano has 10 straight successful save appearances. And yet, we’ve made up only 4.5 games against the Braves and 3 against the Reds. And we have just 17 games left to play.

Not too little, but too late.

11. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I see Ramos is starring a day game after a night game. Good lord I hope Davey knows what he is doing.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

*starting and I hope he is starring!

• jd - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Little choice as long as we still have a chance he has to ride that pony. Ramos is the only major league level catcher we have. I think if Rizzo had known that we’ll still be on the periphery of contention by Sept. 12th he would have kept Suzuki.

12. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Check out this Marlins blog account of the incident. The video of Fernandez’s pimping and his trot really is pretty tame. Shame on Mike Redmond.

13. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM

And here’s some actual Marlins fan (yes, really) and even some Braves fans supporting Fernandez.

14. Doc - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Interesting comments about Ro-ark’s success.

Certainly there is very little about his minor league stats that suggests that he’d be doing what he is doing in the Bigs. Again location is, like all successful pitchers, is main calling card.

Be interesting to hear ,more about his recent breakout. Seeing him get around the league a few times, would probably demonstrate his true balue.

15. natsguy - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The run has been great but the elimination number is only 11. That is a combination of Nats losses and Reds wins. That is a tough number to beat.

16. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I always remember an inspirational poem I learned as a child, when people say something “can’t be done.”

“Somebody said, It couldn’t be done!
    But he, with a grin, replied:
    “I’ll never say it can’t be done–
    At least, not ’til I’ve tried!”

So he buckled right in,
    With a confident grin,
    By golly, he went right to it!
    He tackled the thing that “couldn’t be done” –
    And you know something? He couldn’t do it.

• slidell2 - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Good one. If you can’t chuckle at that one, . . . .

17. Theophilus T.S. - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM

“an otherworldly .710 winning percentage.”

Sometimes it’s not how many you win but when you win ‘em. 1984 Tigers opened the season 35-5, then played less than .500 the rest of the way, and still had enuf at the end to win the WS. (Playing the Padres helped.) Sometimes a team is just incredibly hot. I hope for it, I really do. Not expecting that kind of performance, just hoping for it.

Should they pull it off, it will mitigate my disappoint over the 131 games that preceded this streak. I’ll still always be a bit upset they thought they could turn it on and off at will. And it will, ironically, make me more unsure about next than I now am — at this moment I have an “almost anything will be better” confidence in 2014.

• Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM

If the Nats continue at a .710 pace for their final 17 games, they win 12 and lose 5, meaning that they will have won 34 of their last 48 games, and, incidentally, gone 13-5 in their last two 18 game sets. That gets them to 88 wins. All the Reds have to do is win 6 of their remaining 13 games to beat that. That’s how big a hole we dug ourselves in our first 113 games before we finally, finally, got hot.

“It’s still early” should be banned from the vocabulary of all Nats’ players, coaches, execs, and fans.

18. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Ryan Zimmerman, blasting!!!!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM

What, again???

Guess I’d better go watch. Ummm, boss…

19. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Ryan is just on a sick tear… I wish I could watch this game.. I am interested in seeing if Jayson actually swung…

• passtheduckett - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

He did.

Tried to do the quick trot to first to sell it, but didn’t argue with the appeal.

Loved Zimm’s goofy reaction with the bat boy on his way back to the dugout. Great to see him finally getting his power stroke back.

20. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM

“Begging the question” . Sigh. (I’ll take the heat this time Sofa.)

21. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Any intel on when the game will resume?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

C&D just said the rain stopped… They took the tarp off the in-field and are about to try to start the drainage…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

2:20

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Many thanks. For some reason MLB.tv shuts the radio signal down when the game’s in rain delay.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

MASN is back on. Flood in front of Nats dugout.

22. natsguy - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM

T o get to a decent chance need at least 90 wins. That means at least 14 and 3 which is an un galaxy like .823 percentage. Could happen but probably won’t. Even with 90 that might not be enough. Need to win em all from here out. and hope Cincinnati goes completely in the dumper. Very very doubtful.

23. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

So let me get this straight, Ryan Zimmerman’s has 10 hits on this road trip (44 PAs), and 8 of them have been HRs?! His slashline in the 9 games before today was .231/.302/.769/1.072. Over 162 games, that would be a 126 HR pace.

That’s… . I can’t even think of a word to describe it. Freakish, perhaps.

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I’d be bunting while it’s still damp.

25. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM

So is it a HR?

26. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Is it just me, or is Roark getting an inordinate number of lineouts to third?

27. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Harang seems to have put on quite a bit of weight since I last saw him pitch.

28. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Just a great at bat by Span…

29. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Dang, Zim just missed another one.

30. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Roark can’t free pass Eric Young. Make him earn it.

31. natsfan1a - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Cool, a rain delay. That means I get to see more of the game, because I just finished my work. Off to the basement baseball viewing lair…

32. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Been meaning to ask: Is this (or perhaps Monday’s game) a make-up for an early season rain out?

• Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No. This four game series was scheduled. The Nats and Mets played a doubleheader in DC in late July to make up for a rainout in early June.

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Thanks.

33. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

So… How is Roark’s command?

34. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Well that was hit with authority.

35. adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Mark noted in the next thread that Ramos, during his “19 straight starts since, he’s hitting .211 with a .654 OPS.”

But, it seems it was just a slump in the first half of those games.

Consider this — in the last nine of those 19 starts (not including today), he’s hitting .294 with a .910 OPS

36. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Well that was pitched with — okay, maybe not authority — speed.

37. Theophilus T.S. - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Love it. Carp yaps about Zimmerman’s “great extension” over the outside part of the plate and then he proceeds to whiff on two sliders eight inches outside the zone.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Certainly out of the K zone. Harang has made Werth look bad. It’s an Adam Dunn type of day for the Nats–HRs and K’s.

38. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Wow, that’s another ball that missed getting out by a couple of feet only. What’s that, six or seven balls that hit the wall on the fly, as well as all the home runs? Yowza.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Which reminds me, Boswell today seems to be taking it back about the hitting coach being just a scapegoat.

Nats can still salvage 2013

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Thanks for the link; I had missed that. I know a lot of folks like to disparage Mr. Boswell, but I find him to be on-base more often than he’s off-base.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

A lot of us were off-base about getting a new pitching coach, if Boz is close to right, there.

39. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Is it just me or does Mr. Atchison appear to be about 55 years old?

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with being 55, mind you.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM

He’s 37, which is about 55 in baseball years.
      Scott Atchison

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I know, but he’s got a face that says journeyman. Or defines grizzled veteran.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM

He is indeed grizzled. And if you told me the guy in that picture was 55, I would not doubt it for a second.

40. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Nice Rendon!

• adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Two games in a row where he got the RBI with a guy on third after Ramos couldn’t. Nice “got your back” at bat!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Didn’t Ramos get LaRoche TO third?

• adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

yep — good point — I stand corrected

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yes, he did.

41. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Encouraging that Adam is hitting… I sincerely hope that he gets his medication corrected for next year…

42. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Well done Rendon. That’s two games in a row that he’s come through with RISP.

43. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Stammen with a 4 pitch walk to start the inning. Come on man!

44. secretwasianman - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My throne for a clean 8 th and 9th. Ughhhhhhh they make me nervous

• adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

OTOH, the exhale after the end of the 7th felt pretty good. ;-)

45. secretwasianman - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Anybody wonder what if Eck was canned back in June

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Honestly, the thought has crossed my mind. Of course, that’s water over the damned.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I wonder what if Harp didn’t run into the wall and what if that throwing error didn’t happen in Game 10 against the Braves.

46. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

HELLYEAH SPAN

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

OH YES!!! Good Job Denard!

• snerdblurter - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

halfway home to joltin’ joe….

• snerdblurter - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

i do math numbers good.

47. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Span is now 23!

48. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM

And Jayson, the day Boz calls him the best hitter in baseball, is looking at a golden sombrero.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Yep. Harang is gone luckily.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I am totally putting this on Boswell.

49. adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM

RZ — fouls off _five_ fastballs before getting that double.

Great AB.

50. secretwasianman - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

SO 10 ten days ago I said Zimm should never play in DC again. Yeah well I guess that’s why I’m sitting on my sofa right now. Great AB

51. adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Man, 5-2 sure feels better than 4-2.

• adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM

And 6-2 even better. Maybe we can give Storen, Clip, and Soriano all a day off?

52. secretwasianman - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Get him WERTh . Man that’s BS. Def on purpose

53. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

what weather in White Flint! weather.com says cloudy weather only for 5 PM. I just don’t see how.

54. secretwasianman - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

So how is he out?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

In the neighborhood a mile away?

Nice manufactured run!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Who, Harper? Murphy was on second when he took the throw, but boy, he sure got out of there in a hurry, didn’t he?

55. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

BIG roll of thunder just now in DC … front part of the first line just getting here.

56. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

OK, so hold ‘em here and there’s no need to tuck …

57. adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Do I recall right that the X-man struck out Murphy last night, too?

• adcwonk - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Nice — a clean 8-pitch inning by the X-man — all 8 pitches for strikes.

• Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

That is correct. He’s got Murphy’s number. I wonder if he was in the bullpen when Murphy was killing us in Nats Park earlier this month.

58. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Davey never used Cedeño when he was called up the previous times. Nice pitches.

59. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Hmm. Cedeño was looking at his fingers after that first strikeout. Not a blister, I hope.

60. Section 222 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

No tucking required today. Excellent. How come Cedeno never got an appearance when he was here before? Did he not introduce himself to Davey or something?

61. nats106 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Nice job again by Cedeno.

62. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Anybody wonder what if Cedeño was called up and used in June?

63. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM

NO, Carp, MATTHEUS DOES NOT “NEED WORK.”

64. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

RENDON! Last chance to get one before coming home. Nice.

65. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Very dark here now. I think that’s hail on the skylight, too.

66. David Proctor - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Mattheus for the 9th. Whatever you do Mattheus, don’t walk people.

67. Hiram Hover - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Sheesh – will that Rendon kid every heat up? Such a disappointment….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM

To think he was on the “Not” list yesterday which was unwarranted given his weeks stats.

68. secretwasianman - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

MATTHEUS????? Im all of of Rolaids. I don’t need drama today

69. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Well, he’s getting the work whether he needs it or not, I guess.

70. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM

still dark out and raining some but I think thunder has passed.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

as I hit post comment, clouds roared and lightning in distance.

71. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM

So of course he strikes out the side (minus the hit).

Good job, kid.