Sep 13, 2013, 3:23 PM EST
With most of their minor league seasons wrapped up, the Washington Nationals handed out awards for the 2013 campaign on Friday. Outfielder Billy Burns took minor league player of the year honors while right-hander Taylor Jordan was named the organization’s pitcher of the year.
Burns finished with Double-A Harrisburg after spending the better part of the season at Single-A Potomac. In 121 games across both affiliates he batted .315 with 74 stolen bases and 72 walks. The 24-year-old was a Carolina League All-Star and led the Nationals’ system in batting average.
Burns was taken by the Nats in the 32nd round of the 2011 MLB Draft. The Mercer University is 5-foot-9 and bats switch.
Jordan, 24, went 9-1 with a 1.00 ERA in 15 minor league games this year. He stood out at Harrisburg in particular, going 7-0 with a 0.83 ERA. That stint helped him earn a call-up to the major leagues, as he made his MLB debut against the New York Mets on June 28.
Jordan was shut down due to a club-imposed innings limit in mid-August because this was his first full season since coming back from Tommy John surgery he had in 2011. Before leaving the Nats, he went 1-3 with a 3.66 ERA in nine starts.
The Nats drafted Jordan in the ninth round of the 2009 draft out of Brevard (FL) Community College. He is expected to compete for a rotation spot in spring training.
The Nationals also gave second baseman Tony Renda the Bob Boone Award, an inaugural honor for professionalism and leadership.
Here is a look at the team awards going back to 2005:
2013 – OF Billy Burns, RHP Taylor Jordan, 2B Tony Renda (Boone)
2012 – INF Matt Skole, RHP Nathan Karns
2011 – INF Steve Lombardozzi, RHP Brad Peacock
2010 – OF Tyler Moore, LHP Tom Milone
2009 – C Derek Norris, RHP Brad Meyers
2008 – OF Leonard Davis, RHP Jordan Zimmermann
2007 – OF Justin Maxwell, LHP John Lannan
2006 – INF Kory Casto, RHP Zech Zinicola
2005 – INF Kory Casto, LHP Michael O’Connor
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres