Sep 13, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
[Updated 6:23 p.m.]
Though they’ve won eight of their last nine games, not all is well for the Nats as they return home on Friday.
Stephen Strasburg was scratched before his expected start against the Philadelphia Phillies due to forearm tightness. The Nats’ ace felt the injury during a bullpen session on Thursday in New York, when he was experimenting with a new pitch. Ross Ohlendorf was pulled out of the bullpen to start in his place.
“When he was playing catch he had some discomfort so he came in and got treatment,” Davey Johnson said. “The doctor in New York examined him and didn’t think it was anything serious, just that it was probably a little tired and tight so here we are. He’s not pitching.”
Pitching coach Steve McCatty was there and described the situation on Friday.
“He goes out and throws every day. As I was going outside to watch him throw, he was coming back in,” McCatty said. “He said his arm, he felt like he couldn’t throw, couldn’t get loose. So we waited until afterwards, he tried it again and it just didn’t feel good.”
McCatty said Strasburg only threw about seven or eight pitches before he noticed something was wrong.
Strasburg felt the pain on the top side of his forearm, not in the area he had Tommy John surgery in 2010. Johnson described it as “soft tissue,” not involving anything structural.
Strasburg was also examined by team medial director Dr. Wiemi Douogiuh on Friday who prescribed two days off before he resumes throwing and medication for the soreness.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs