Sep 13, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
[Updated 6:23 p.m.]
Though they’ve won eight of their last nine games, not all is well for the Nats as they return home on Friday.
Stephen Strasburg was scratched before his expected start against the Philadelphia Phillies due to forearm tightness. The Nats’ ace felt the injury during a bullpen session on Thursday in New York, when he was experimenting with a new pitch. Ross Ohlendorf was pulled out of the bullpen to start in his place.
“When he was playing catch he had some discomfort so he came in and got treatment,” Davey Johnson said. “The doctor in New York examined him and didn’t think it was anything serious, just that it was probably a little tired and tight so here we are. He’s not pitching.”
Pitching coach Steve McCatty was there and described the situation on Friday.
“He goes out and throws every day. As I was going outside to watch him throw, he was coming back in,” McCatty said. “He said his arm, he felt like he couldn’t throw, couldn’t get loose. So we waited until afterwards, he tried it again and it just didn’t feel good.”
McCatty said Strasburg only threw about seven or eight pitches before he noticed something was wrong.
Strasburg felt the pain on the top side of his forearm, not in the area he had Tommy John surgery in 2010. Johnson described it as “soft tissue,” not involving anything structural.
Strasburg was also examined by team medial director Dr. Wiemi Douogiuh on Friday who prescribed two days off before he resumes throwing and medication for the soreness.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today