Sep 14, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
With all the winning the Nats have been doing lately, it’s easy to forget they still aren’t full strength. Ross Detwiler, their fifth starter, has been on the disabled list since July 7 with a lower back strain and now Stephen Strasburg, their ace, is on the mend.
Both starters are working their way back and both are expected to return this season. Strasburg rested on Saturday, a day after he was scratched with forearm tightness, and Detwiler threw a bullpen session.
Davey Johnson said Strasburg will throw on Sunday and go from there. He is working towards a Sept. 19 return as the Nats host the Marlins.
“He’s going to start playing catch tomorrow,” Johnson said. “He’ll then throw his next ‘pen on the 16th. We’ll see how he is playing catch, see how the meds are working.”
Johnson hadn’t heard a report about Detwiler on Saturday afternoon and said the team will know more about his status after 24 hours. If all goes well he should set up to throw another bullpen in two days and then be ready to face live hitters.
Johnson hopes Detwiler can still help the team this year, likely in a relief role.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss