Sep 14, 2013, 6:22 PM EST
With all the winning the Nats have been doing lately, it’s easy to forget they still aren’t full strength. Ross Detwiler, their fifth starter, has been on the disabled list since July 7 with a lower back strain and now Stephen Strasburg, their ace, is on the mend.
Both starters are working their way back and both are expected to return this season. Strasburg rested on Saturday, a day after he was scratched with forearm tightness, and Detwiler threw a bullpen session.
Davey Johnson said Strasburg will throw on Sunday and go from there. He is working towards a Sept. 19 return as the Nats host the Marlins.
“He’s going to start playing catch tomorrow,” Johnson said. “He’ll then throw his next ‘pen on the 16th. We’ll see how he is playing catch, see how the meds are working.”
Johnson hadn’t heard a report about Detwiler on Saturday afternoon and said the team will know more about his status after 24 hours. If all goes well he should set up to throw another bullpen in two days and then be ready to face live hitters.
Johnson hopes Detwiler can still help the team this year, likely in a relief role.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers