Sep 14, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
With all the winning the Nats have been doing lately, it’s easy to forget they still aren’t full strength. Ross Detwiler, their fifth starter, has been on the disabled list since July 7 with a lower back strain and now Stephen Strasburg, their ace, is on the mend.
Both starters are working their way back and both are expected to return this season. Strasburg rested on Saturday, a day after he was scratched with forearm tightness, and Detwiler threw a bullpen session.
Davey Johnson said Strasburg will throw on Sunday and go from there. He is working towards a Sept. 19 return as the Nats host the Marlins.
“He’s going to start playing catch tomorrow,” Johnson said. “He’ll then throw his next ‘pen on the 16th. We’ll see how he is playing catch, see how the meds are working.”
Johnson hadn’t heard a report about Detwiler on Saturday afternoon and said the team will know more about his status after 24 hours. If all goes well he should set up to throw another bullpen in two days and then be ready to face live hitters.
Johnson hopes Detwiler can still help the team this year, likely in a relief role.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?