Game 151: Braves at Nats

Sep 17, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

Whew, what a game that was this afternoon. After that, are you all ready for another one?

The Nats and Braves pick right back up after perhaps the wildest win of the Nationals’ 2013 season. Rookie Tanner Roark (6-0, 1.30) will look to keep the momentum going as Atlanta sends right-hander Freddy Garcia (4-6, 4.86) to the mound.

Garcia is not a good pitcher at this point in his career, as his near-5.00 ERA will tell you. But the best start he had this season was against the Nationals.

On May 30 he shut them out for eight innings at Camden Yards as a member of the Orioles, allowing just three hits and striking out six. On a humid night, he had something extra on his split-finger fastball that made it behave like a knuckleball. Both Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman compared him to R.A. Dickey that night.

Stay tuned for updates throughout the game…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS

RHP Freddy Garcia

UMPIRES
HP Jordan Baker
1B CB Bucknor
2B Dale Scott
3B Dan DeMuth (cc)

7:14 p.m. — A nice start for Mr. Roark who set down the Braves in order on 17 pitches. He got Schafer and Freeman to ground out, and Justin Upton to go down swinging.

7:23 p.m. – Not much going for the Nats in the bottom of the first. They went down 1-2-3 on just 15 pitches from Garcia. Span grounded out to second base, Zimmerman struck out swinging and Werth lined out to Simmons at short.

7:32 p.m. – Roark allowed two singles in the top of the second with two outs, but got Simmons to ground out to end the frame. We’re still scoreless. Roark has thrown 34 pitches.

7:40 p.m. – The Nats got a run on the board in the second inning off a Lombardozzi RBI single to right field. Harper scored the run after singling to left field and stealing second base to lead off. The inning ended on a double play lineout hit by Solano with runners at the corners and one out. Solano hit a hard ball to Simmons who threw behind Lombo at first. Garcia has thrown 26 pitches.

7:52 p.m. – Roark put another zero up in the top of the third, despite Schafer walking with one out. Freeman hit a long flyball to right field for the third out. Roark is at 57 already through three so that’s something to watch.

8:05 p.m. – After a bit of a strange inning the Nats come away with nothing despite twice having runners reach third base. Roark led off with a single and was then forced out at second on a groundball by Span. But Simmons’ double play attempt to first was off the mark and allowed Span to take off running. While he was nearing third, Uggla tried to throw him out but the ball slipped out of his hand. He then picked it back up again and threw a relay to get Span out at home on a bang-bang play at the plate. It was scored 3-6, E6, 4-3-2. Zimmerman then singled and was joined on base by Werth. Zim then took third on wild pitch. But a Harper swinging strikeout ended the inning and we’re still at 1-0.

8:14 p.m. – Roark gets a much-needed quick inning in the top of the fourth, using 11 pitches to set the Braves down in order. He’s at 68 now.

8:20 p.m. – The Nats came away with nothing once again after seeing runners get on base. This time it was Desmond and Lombardozzi who reached on singles. But with runners on first and second and one out, Solano grounded into a 6-4-3 double play to end the frame. Garcia has allowed just one run through four with 53 pitches thrown.

8:26 p.m. – Another solid inning for Roark in the top of the fifth. He got Uggla, Simmons and Garcia out on eight pitches. He’ll also lead off the bottom half of the inning.

8:36 p.m. – Make it 28 for Denard Span. With a single to left field, Span now owns this MLB season’s longest hit streak and the longest in the majors since Dan Uggla went 33 straight games in 2011. He also stole a base, but the Nats couldn’t cash in. It’s still 1-0 as we go to the top of the sixth. Garcia is through five on 68 pitches.

8:42 p.m. – This Roark guy ain’t too bad. Another 1-2-3 inning has him through six scoreless with just two hits and a walk allowed. He’s got his pitch count at a more manageable pace as well with 91 pitches. He may not be out there much longer, but no one is up in the Nats’ bullpen.

8:49 p.m. – For as good as Roark’s been, Garcia has been tough as well. He had a perfect inning of his own in the bottom of the sixth and is now at 76 pitches. That’s 15 less than Roark and means he’ll likely last longer in this game.

8:54 p.m. – Another perfect inning and that’s 13 straight retired by Roark. He walks off the mound with 101 pitches thrown. That will likely do it for him tonight as Craig Stammen is warming and he’s due up third in the bottom of the inning.

9:02 p.m. – Garcia sets them down in order and he’s retired eight straight. Stammen will now take over against Uggla, Simmons and a likely pinch-hitter for Garcia.

9:10 p.m. – A clutch eighth inning for Stammen who got Schafer to strike out to end the inning. This was after a pinch-hitting Elliot Johnson singled and stole second. The Nats now have Span leading off in the bottom of the eighth as they look for some insurance runs.

9:23 p.m. – Who wants some insurance runs? The Nats pushed three more across in the top of the ninth to give Rafael Soriano a 4-0 lead to work with. Zimmerman got it started with a solo home run to right-center field. Desmond doubled home Harper who singled for the second run and LaRoche then singled home Desmond. This game is in the Nats’ hands, all Soriano has to do is finish the job.

9:35 p.m. – Soriano gave up a pair of singles and Desmond had a throwing error on a play that would have ended the game, but the Nats held on 4-0. That’s win number 81, tying 2005 for the second best record since they moved to D.C.

1. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Pitch with authority, focus while on defense, make good contact, and score some runs. Baseball’s a simple game, right? Oh, and pay Freddy Garcia back for that game in Baltimore. GYFNG!

2. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM

BTW, if that ‘something extra’ reappears, the Nats may want to ask the umpire to check the ball.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Rick Vaughn: [Seeing Harris take off his shirt, revealing white suff on his chest] What’s that shit on your chest?

Eddie Harris: [Looking at his chest] Crisco.

Eddie Harris: [wiping it across his head]

Eddie Harris: Bardol.

Eddie Harris: [wiping it along his waist line]

Eddie Harris: Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. Of course if the umps are watching me real close I’ll rub a little jalapeo up my nose, get it runnin’, and if I need to load the ball up I just…

Eddie Harris: [wipes his nose]

Eddie Harris: …wipe my nose.

Rick Vaughn: You put snot on the ball?

Eddie Harris: I haven’t got an arm like you, kid. I have to put anything on it I can find. Someday you will too.

3. letswin3 - Sep 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Sparse crowd this afternoon, but they made it feel and even sound a little like an October game. Roark deserves a big and loud crown tonight. And a rally pigeon or two wouldn’t hurt either. Anyone who thinks the Braves are gonna just mail it in tonight and tomorrow just don’t know competitive athletes….Atlanta would love to spend the winter telling their relatives how they won every series against the Nats this year, and sent us packing. They are a good team, with some great athletes, and I just want to earn a little respect from them, while advancing toward the playoffs.

PS: Does Rendon even have a pulse? The guy never seems to get rattled.

4. sjberke - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Mark Z points out that it took a doubleheader to make Ramos skip a game…reminds me that in days of yore, top catchers were expected to catch doubleheaders as a matter of routine. Sometime n the late 1940s, early in Yogi Berra’s Yankee career, he begged off the second game of a doubleheader. The backup went o-for and the Yankees lost. In the clubhouse afterward, Joe DiMaggio growled at Yogi,”Can’t catch a doubleheader, sh-t.” Yogi caught both ends of doubleheaders for years afterward.

Wilson may not be another Yogi but I think he has the same spirit. I’m sure not catching this game was not his decision.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Davey Crockett killed him a b’ar when he was only 3.

Not really fair to call that representative of everybody from Kentucky, though.

• knoxvillenat - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Sofa, I need to point out that Mr. Crockett was born and raised here in Tennessee, near Greeneville to be exact.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I stand corrected. Thank you sir.

5. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Second time around is when we got to Bruce Chen, who is a similar type pitcher. Let’s see if that’s the case tonight.

6. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Bryce Harper is due a home run. This game?

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Lousy LF defense gives Bryce a bloop hit. Unfortunately Gattis makes a nice play on Desi.

7. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Desi crushed that. Bryce bloops one for a hit and Desi crushes one for an out. Such is baseball.

8. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Nice Lombo!

9. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Well that’s bad luck…

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Not really. The pitcher was on deck and you figure its an automatic out with 2 outs anyways.

• David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Didn’t say it was a bad decision, it was bad luck. Solano hit it hard right to Simmons and turned it into a DP.

10. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Good gamble to hit & run with the pitcher on deck.

11. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Roark can hit a little bit. Garcia is the kind of guy he should have a good chance with, I think.

12. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Three pitches this inning that F/X had as strikes.

13. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Told ya so. The kid can hit.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

what does singles on a line drive to Simmons mean? He lined it and Simmons dropped it?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Simmons dove and didn’t quite get there; it went off his glove into center.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Thanks. I thought he made another error.

14. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

He HAD to go, there. Had to.

15. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Horrible send. Theres 1 out Jewett! What the heck are you thinking.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Brain dead Trent strikes again. Know your situation.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Come on, man. Be nice!

16. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Bad send by Jewett with Zimmerman coming up. If Span stops at third, he scores.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Precognition would be an really useful trait in a third base coach.

17. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

No, he has to go, there. Uggla was muffing the ball all over right field. If Freeman doesn’t make an excellent throw right on the money, he’s safe.

• David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Why would you make the second out at home with Zimmerman and Werth coming up?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Because you don’t know what they’re going to do. They spent eight innings last time against this guy (and last game) scoring bupkis. It was an aggressive send, and they forced a good play. He was only out by six inches, if that.

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

You send him on 2 outs only. That’s textbook.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

There was NOTHING textbook about that play.

18. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I’m sure that’s happened before (more or less), but in all my years of playing and watching baseball I’ve never seen it before.

19. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM

A GIDP that was THISCLOSE to being a run? Not in the bigs, I’ve never seen that.

20. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM

That’s a brutally bad wasted opportunity. Blame Jewett.

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I am not watching the game but does look brutal on scorecard.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I maintain that was NOT a bad send.

But man, did Span look surprised. NOBODY expected him to send him, especially Uggla. If Freeman doesn’t make an excellent throw, he scores on an error at first, because Uggla messed up and didn’t hustle. You think that doesn’t get in people’s heads?

• natsjackinfl - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Have to agree. Uggla gave up on the play and only a heads up perfect throw from Freeman gets Span out.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Thank you.

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Not a chance you do that with no outs or 1 out with top of the lineup coming up.

21. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I can’t wait for T Jewitt to be gone from this ball club…

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

People say Eck and Trent were problems and Trent is still here. We go from Bo who rarely made mental coaching mistakes and Trent problem has a dozen E’s on the season.

22. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

It appears the baseball gods have forgiven DJ for the WS or bust bluster, unless they are going to leave us a game short. Maybe Dusty has earned their wrath. Can NI official math fiqure outer tell what happens if the Nats, Cards, Reds, and Bucks finish with the same record? Say 92-70.

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Someone (sportswriter) offered a version of this in an AL scenario. Basically, 1-4, 2-3 bracket, one game each, winners the play as the wild card game.

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

With the 1, 2, 3, 4 rankings being set based on various head-to-head models.

23. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I miss Ramos already.

24. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Ramos vs. Solano. HUGE difference. Bad GIDP

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM

When have you seen a good GIDP for the offense?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Well, there’s the one they don’t give you an RBI for, but yeah. There’s a reason they don’t.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I am liking this Roark kid. Let’s see if he can start that again.

25. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Come on Solano….

26. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Very good (and efficient) inning Roark!

27. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

4-0 for Reds with 1 out in first inning against Astros. Well inning over now, but still 4-0 lead after top of the first.

28. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

They are going to start hitting this guy for real, soon.

29. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I remember more than a couple of of times when Bo Porter made bad decisions at third last year, and more the year before. Twice he held runners at third on perfectly hit sac flies. Other times he was overly aggressive sending guys that had no chance. That said, I still mostly liked him at 3rd, but he wasn’t the “Mr Flawless” that many of you claim that he was. Trent Jewitt ihowever is a seriously flawed third base coach, but it did take a perfect throw, catch, and tag to get Span on that play.

I was at the first game, had great seats, and never gave up believing!

30. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

1/2 way to DiMaggio for Mr. Span!

31. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Way to go Denard!

32. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

28!

33. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

29.
    This is D. SPAN

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Typo. Typo in my enthusiasm. Not looking ahead. Nossir. Totally a typo. I’d take it down but they won’t let me anymore.
      28.

34. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM

And the streak continues…. My man Span!

35. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Oh, COME ON RYAN. Everybody in the place knew that was coming.

36. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

The Braves pain Ryan on the outside. He cant keep looking at those. They then set him up with a Strike 3 further off the plate. Seen that 3 times today.

37. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This game should be AT LEAST 3-0. This has all the makings of the Braves beating up on our bullpen.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

And you’re assuming we’ll see the bullpen.

38. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

DP, if you are going to start channeling SWM, I’ll be disappointed.

• adcwonk - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

39. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

So wasn’t there some talk here earlier in the season that Span wasn’t a very good baseball player? Gee, guess who has a 28 game hitting streak, best in the league this year, and also has more hits than any other Nat,and has been so far statistically flawless in CF? There was also talk that the Nats should have signed BJ Upton. I notice a deafening silence from those voices!
    GYFNG,!!!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

To be fair, Joe, some of that is just that some of them are locked out because they don’t know how to work a virtual doorknob.

40. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I love the fact that the back end of the rotation is getting it done…

I would leave Tanner in for the 7th….

41. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Come on, the kid is pitching his ass off again. Have an idea up there.

42. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Bryce with a rather loud F-Bomb right there.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:46 PM

They really look like they’re reverting to old bad habits at bat, don’t they?

43. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

How about Roark and Haren? Now if only the big three can act like the big three, we’ll be money. Davey says we need to go 10 and 2.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM

They need to go five better than Cincinnati. They have 12 games to do it in. That’s what they need to do.

• adcwonk - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Right — so Davey’s thinking: Nats go 10-2, and Reds 5-7. Them’s some pretty long odds. But possible.

44. adcwonk - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Roark’s pitched so well . . . you gotta hope some bats will help him out some more here . . . he’s earned this one so far

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I think Tanner should start the 8th, pitch until he gives up a run.

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I meant pitch till he gives up a runner.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Well, I’d be tempted too, but he’s due up, and if someone gets on and you bring in Clippard or Mattheus or Cedeño, they have to start in a stretch with a guy on blahblahblah.

So that’s what, 2 out of 3 ABs when Solano lined out hard?

45. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Kudos to DJ for leaving Roark in….

46. adcwonk - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

ok, folks: presuming Tanner gets PH for this inning: who pitches the 8th? (presumably Soriano the 9th)

47. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

If I read their lips right, Davey said “Thanks, good work” and Tanner asked him “Is that it?” and Davey said “That’s good.” So I think he’s done

• adcwonk - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Gotta hand it to him. Seven innings, two cheap hits.

48. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I swear the Nats line out, more than any other team….

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Nats are tied 5th for LD% for last 30 days.

49. adcwonk - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Man, Solano tore the cover off the ball. Again. For naught.

50. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Wins and losses are so weird sometimes.Ian Krol pitches to one batter in the first game and vultures a win.

• David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That’s why they’re useless.

51. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

What is with these HP umps?

52. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

These strike zones in these two games have been ATROCIOUS.

• knoxvillenat - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Atrocious? You should try watching this game on the Barves television network. Now that is ATROCIOUS!

• knoxvillenat - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:06 PM

53. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

OK, that was a BETTER strike than any of several to Zim, AND he swung.

GMAFB.

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Amazing isnt it.

54. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

OOOOOH, was that a makeup?

55. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Big blue has in head somewhere else. Staymen with a great strike on Uggla—TWICE!

56. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

No, he totally swung.

57. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I tell ya… Roark is seriously giving T Jordan a run for his money to become the 5th starting pitcher…

• nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

and thats a good thing since we dont know Detwilers health and Rizzo may want to make a big trade this offseason.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Nice job, Stammen. Way to pick up your catcher.

58. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Well, maybe that Davey Johnson guy does actually know something about handling a pitching staff.
    Well, Ramos would’ve had a caught stealing on that on, I’m sure.

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

“on that one”

I want to be able to edit damnit!

59. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Soriano who? Stammen for the ninth too!

60. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM

PLEASE add some runs for Soriano. Please.

61. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I’ll settle for a 1-0 win if they just stop running that series of stupid VW commercials.

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

TheVW ads are better than last year’s WB Mason ads with the creepy delivery guy!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

This is true. But they suffer in comparison to the camel.

I still love that one.

In fact, we need to chant that tomorrow night:
        “GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS”

62. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Put Det in the BP as the lefty long man next year and sign a # 4 starter.

63. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

ZIMMERMAN HAS DONE IT AGAIN TO WALDEN!

64. knoxvillenat - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Zim!

65. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Ryan Zimmerman owns some Walden!

66. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

That Zimmerman guy really sucks, too.

67. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM

That HR was crushed by RZim!!!!

68. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

25 HRs by Ryan sounds alot better then 15. What a power surge!

69. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Didn’t someone call a HR for Harper, earlier? Good time, here.

But even a single’s OK.

70. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

DESI!!!

71. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Ian Desmond! And he sucks to! Hah!

72. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

HEY CARP CARPCARPCARPCARPCARP …. GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS?

73. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Speaking of commercials, can someone tell me what the last guy asks the girl “is that the way you—-? on the old commercial.

• NatsLady - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

“Is that the way you always record sound?” (And they probably should re-record it…)

74. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Even Laroche and he really ______________!

75. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Cigars and rum to Jobu, all around.

76. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Print those playoff tickets!

77. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

No tuck, here. Do we get X-Man? Mattheus?

78. acsportsfn - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

The nl central will probably conspire to keep the nats out! None of them will want to play us.

79. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Oh come the **** on Soriano.

80. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Uh- oh…

81. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Soriano cant make anything easy.

82. TimDz - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Very rarely this season have the Nats had their foot on an opponents throat and actually ushed down….
    Nice that they were able to do it against the Braves….

Now, if Sori can just please finish the job…..

83. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM

We know Knorr would yank Sorianos a$$ right now.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

You know, I was thinking the same thing.

84. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

That is HUUUUUUUGE.

85. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

OH< YEAH!!

86. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

What an idiotic Upton is.

87. knoxvillenat - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Come on Nats put this curly W in the books.

88. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

But it was a good pitch, sawed him right off.

89. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

what was that desi?

90. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Oh come on Desi.

91. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Come on, they’re getting tight again.

92. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Desi with a brain cramp. Why not the short throw to 2nd?

• NatsLady - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, I thought the same.

93. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

May be just what Soriano needed to focus himself.

94. NatsLady - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Desi is tired and hurt. Davey should have taken him out.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

They have Walters there.

• NatsLady - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

That was Walters that made the error?

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

No, I meant they have Walters available. It was Desmond.

95. Joe Seamhead - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

“Pick a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day”. I think Soriano just pulled one out of his pocket.

96. nats128 - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Oh yes! The f’ing Braves cant clinch in DC! Nice win!

97. David Proctor - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Thank god.

98. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

No untuck, but nice work when all is said and done.
    All’s well that ends well.

Oh, and GUESS WHAT DAY TOMORROW IS??

99. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Hey Julie, guess what day tomorrow is?

Aw, c’mon, I know you can hear me!!

100. natsfan1a - Sep 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Awesome game, boys! (Well, at least the bottom of the 8th and the top of the 9th, which is the part I saw.

Oh, and Freddie. I have something for you.