Sep 17, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
Though the Nationals and Braves were not able to play their game on Monday, Stephen Strasburg did manage to fit in a bullpen session at Nats Park to test the tightness in his right forearm.
Davey Johnson said the Nats’ starter felt no complications and is still on track to start Thursday against the Miami Marlins.
“He feels great. He wasn’t even picking up a ball, now he had a great ‘pen and felt really good about it. It set him up for the 19th.”
Strasburg was scratched before his expected start against the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday night after feeling pain during his bullpen session while the team was in New York. He returned to Washington to be examined by Nats doctor Dr. Wiemi Douogiuh who prescribed a few days of rest and medication. On Sunday he played catch from 120 feet and felt fine afterwards.
Strasburg will be making his 29th start of the 2013 season against the Marlins on Thursday. Through 170 innings this year, he holds a 2.96 ERA with 181 strikeouts.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta