Sep 18, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
The hopes of Ross Detwiler returning for the Nationals by the end of this season have grown increasingly slim. It’s not that he’s had a setback in his recovery from a lower back strain, it’s that there just may not be enough games left.
The Nats only have 11 games remaining on their schedule and, after throwing three innings in a bullpen session on Wednesday, Detwiler will now head to Viera, Florida to pitch in the instructional league on Monday.
Davey Johnson thinks that will likely end the lefty’s season in Washington.
“If that’s the plan, he might as well stay down there,” Johnson said. “I don’t see it. If he gets four days off, there will only be one or two games left. I don’t see the point in coming out just for one game for us. That’s going to be a decision made down the road.”
Detwiler hasn’t pitched since July 3 against the Brewers and was placed on the disabled list July 7. He was then transferred to the 60-day DL on Aug. 6.
Detwiler dealt with an oblique injury earlier in the year and was later diagnosed with a lower back strain. Johnson thinks the two are related and may hold root in his participation in the World Baseball Classic during spring training.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?