Sep 18, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
The hopes of Ross Detwiler returning for the Nationals by the end of this season have grown increasingly slim. It’s not that he’s had a setback in his recovery from a lower back strain, it’s that there just may not be enough games left.
The Nats only have 11 games remaining on their schedule and, after throwing three innings in a bullpen session on Wednesday, Detwiler will now head to Viera, Florida to pitch in the instructional league on Monday.
Davey Johnson thinks that will likely end the lefty’s season in Washington.
“If that’s the plan, he might as well stay down there,” Johnson said. “I don’t see it. If he gets four days off, there will only be one or two games left. I don’t see the point in coming out just for one game for us. That’s going to be a decision made down the road.”
Detwiler hasn’t pitched since July 3 against the Brewers and was placed on the disabled list July 7. He was then transferred to the 60-day DL on Aug. 6.
Detwiler dealt with an oblique injury earlier in the year and was later diagnosed with a lower back strain. Johnson thinks the two are related and may hold root in his participation in the World Baseball Classic during spring training.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half