Game 152: Braves at Nats

Sep 18, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Here’s a fortuitous position the Nationals find themselves in: After taking both games of yesterday’s doubleheader, they now have a chance to sweep the Braves in this three-game series. Who’d have thunk that 48 hours ago?

To pull it off, the Nats will need a strong outing from Ross Ohlendorf, making one final start so Stephen Strasburg can have an extra day to recover from his forearm tightness. This will be the first time the veteran right-hander has faced the Braves this season, so we’ll have to see whether that favors him or Atlanta’s lineup.

Denard Span, meanwhile, will be looking to extend his hitting streak to 29 games, just one shy of Ryan Zimmerman’s club record. Forget about that personal achievement, the Nationals simply need Span to produce and set the table for the rest of this lineup the way he has been throughout the last month.

For you scoreboard watchers out there, the Reds wrap up their series in Houston at 8:10 p.m. EDT. The Nats would love for Bo Porter and Co. to salvage at least one win in that series and give them a chance to gain ground in the Wild Card standings, but that’s no easy task.

Updates to come…

LHP Alex Wood

UMPIRES
HP CB Bucknor
1B Dale Scott
2B Todd Tichenor
3B Jordan Baker

7:06 p.m. — We are underway on a cool, crisp September evening in the District. Ross Ohlendorf rears back and fires strike one to Elliot Johnson to get this one started.

7:10 p.m. — Ohlendorf gets right down to business. He retired the side on 12 pitches, striking out Justin Upton on an 83-mph curveball. He also got help from Ryan Zimmerman, who made one of his patented, barehanded-scoop-and-throw plays on Johnson’s bunt attempt.

7:24 p.m. — The Nats tried to mount a two-out rally in the bottom of the first, getting singles from Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper, but Ian Desmond lined out to center to end the inning. So it’s scoreless after one.

7:41 p.m. — Three hits in two innings for the Nationals. Unfortunately, they’ve all come with two outs. Tough to get much going like that. Still 0-0 as we go to the third.

7:50 p.m. — Nine up, nine down for Ohlendorf. I won’t say anymore. For now.

8:04 p.m. — Well, there will be no perfect game tonight. Justin Upton lined a single up the middle with one out in the fourth. But he was immediately erased when Freddie Freeman roped a liner right at Adam LaRoche, whose natural momentum left him standing directly on first base for the easiest double play you’ll ever see. Still scoreless as we go to the bottom of the fourth.

8:15 p.m. — Another 1-2-3 inning for Ohlendorf, who has faced the minimum through five. Get this. Here’s the combined pitching line for Ohlendorf and Tanner Roark the last two nights against the Braves: 12 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 11 K. That’s pretty good.

8:42 p.m. — Wow, what a crazy bottom of the fifth. It included a leadoff single by Rendon, a sac bunt by Ohlendorf and then a slow grounder toward first base by Span that Freeman bobbled. After considering the play for a moment, the official scorer ruled it an error (the correct call) so that leaves Span 0-for-3 in his quest to extend his hitting streak. But of far more significance, the Nats loaded the bases with one out and then Werth battled his way through an 8-pitch at-bat that culminated with a ball four call on a 3-2 inside fastball. The crowd roared as Werth trotted to first and Rendon trotted home. Fredi Gonzalez, on the other hand, sprinted out of the Braves dugout and made a beeline for C.B. Bucknor, who immediately ejected Fredi from the proceedings. Wood was furious himself but was allowed to stay in the game. He then surrendered a sac fly to Bryce Harper, so that made it 2-0, at which point Wood was pulled from the game and started cursing loudly at Bucknor, who ejected the Atlanta pitcher. Quite an inning there, folks. Nats lead 2-0 after five.

8:55 p.m. — Well, unfortunately that was all too predictable. Ohlendorf, as he has been wont to do, faded in the 6th inning. Big-time. He served up a leadoff homer to Uggla. He made a horrible throw to first base on a bunt. He nearly served up a two-run homer to Joey Terdoslovich, who just pulled it foul down the right-field line. But then he did serve up a two-run homer to Justin Upton, a bomb to left-center. So now the Nats trail 3-2, a frustrating turn of events, especially considering the fact the Nats didn’t have anybody warming in the pen as Ohlendorf was fading.

9:07 p.m. — More C.B. Bucknor wackiness. Anthony Varvaro drilled Anthony Rendon in the back with an 0-1 fastball, and Bucknor issued warnings to both dugouts. Don’t see why that was necessary, and the Braves certainly weren’t happy with it. Anyways, it’s still 3-2 Braves after six as Craig Stammen enters.

9:20 p.m. — A big insurance run for Atlanta off Stammen, via McCann’s RBI double off the wall in right-center. It’s now 4-2 and the Nats will have to rally again vs. the Braves bullpen.

9:44 p.m. — The good news: Span lined a single over the second baseman’s head to lead off the bottom of the seventh, extending the hit streak to 29 games. Standing ovation for Denard. The bad news: Despite putting two on, the Nats couldn’t drive either in. Harper grounded out to second. Desmond flied out to right. So it remains 4-2 Braves as we go to the eighth.

9:50 p.m. — A 1-2-3 eighth for Ryan Mattheus. That was needed. Now a rally is needed as we go to the bottom of the eighth.

9:58 p.m. — Well, they’ll have to do it in the ninth against Craig Kimbrel again. David Carpenter retires the side in the bottom of the eighth. Still 4-2.

10:19 p.m. — Another insurance run for the Braves off Mattheus in the top of the ninth. So now it’s 5-2 as Kimbrel enters. The Nats did it yesterday. Can they do it again tonight?

10:27 p.m. — That’s it. Nats lose 5-2. They’re now 5 games back with 10 to play, with the Reds still playing in Houston (and tied 4-4 in the sixth at last check).

1. naterialguy - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I’m trying to decide what you should be the magic # to commit to buying playoff strips?
    Any suggestions?

• naterialguy - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I’m also worried that I may jinx the team if i commit!
      Brutal predicament I find myself in. Decisions are so much simpler when you lose 100

• tcostant - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I’m waiting ’til Friday’s deadline. If they are 4 out or better on Friday, I will commit to the strip.

2. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

“Center Field Gate will open 2 ½ hours prior to the start of the game, allowing fans access to the Center Field stands and Center Field concourse area.”

Let’s go get some headphones and watch batting practice, maybe catch a baseball.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Gorgeous day for baseball. From the looks of the early birds this should be a respectable gate.

3. tcostant - Sep 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I’m worried about Ohlendorf, wish Stras could have started tonight.

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Braves may be saying the same thing (i.e., Mr. Strasburg hasn’t always been at this best against Atlanta).

• tcostant - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I like how you think, Davey is smarter than me. I was wondering why missing a start he would need an extra day. We just need to get Ohlendorf out of there after 5 innings and we should be fine.

• tcostant - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Told you to get him out of there after 5 innings. Why do I know this and not Davey?

4. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I am working today. Might have taken off to get the headphones, but gotta save up the $$ for the playoffs. I’ll commit to my strip tomorrow–win or lose. I said take 2 of 3 at least from ATL and they’ve accomplished it, so I owe!!!

5. jd - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM

NL,

If you really think we have a semblance of a chance then 2 of 3 in any series won’t cut it. As you can see the Reds aren’t likely to lose to Houston or the Mets at home which means that we will likely have to hope for one of Pittsburgh or Cinci to dominate the other to the tune of at least 5 – 1 which also means we can’t really lose more than 1 game the rest of the way.

6. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 29m
    #Mets at #Reds probables: Monday: Wheeler vs. Johnny Cueto, Tuesday: Harang vs. Mike Leake, Wednesday: Niese vs. Greg Reynolds.

I don’t have a lot of faith in Harang, but Wheeler and Niese aren’t the worst pitchers in the world. Could win 2 of 3 if Cueto is not “himself.”

7. jd - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM

NL,

The games are in Cinci and you saw the lineups the Mets are putting out there these days. 2 of 3 for the Mets would be wonderful but highly unlikely.

The Reds are just an above average team but they are not in full free fall mode and all they have to do is beat bad teams and avoid being dominated by Pittsburgh.

Anything is possible and I will continue to have hopes until they officially pronounce us dead, it’s just not looking real promising at this time.

On the other hand I am really enjoying the resurgence and inspired play by our team and am very proud of the effort put forth. It sure beats being Toronto or the Angels.

• Steady Eddie - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Actually it would be somewhat surprising if the Mets didn’t take 1/3 from the Reds. They did just that on the road vs Cleveland and the Braves earlier this month WITH that lineup (and in late August, split 4 with Philly at home and 2 with Atlanta on the road); they are likely to have David Wright back by then (he won’t be 100% obviously, but still has game changing talent); and the Mets do have 2 decent starters to send out as NL said.

Still means the Bucs need to dominate them, but we’ve known that.

Always a longshot but not hopeless.

And as you said, the central point is that we can be proud of the character they’ve shown no matter what — and that the way you finish one season can often say a lot about how you’ll start the next (apart from delusional purely September runs fueled by call ups, but this isn’t that).

8. Section 222 - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I’m waiting until Friday to commit for the playoffs, but I’ll be doing it no matter what. Not because I think we have much more than a snowball’s chance of overtaking the Reds but because I look at it this way:

“Is it worth $20 to make sure that IF we pull off one of the most incredible September comebacks in baseball history, and IF we win the WC game (which we won’t host), I get to sit in my seats for the NLDS?” That’s not a hard question to answer.

• Eugene in Oregon - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

If I were there that would be my logic, as well.

• jd - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM

me too

• Faraz Shaikh - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM

yes, please fund nest season’s roster.

9. Theophilus T.S. - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Cueto’s start Monday was first after 2 1/2 mos. on the DL. Forgive me for hoping he hasn’t regained his “sharpness.” Two out of three isn’t unreasonable to hope for.

• jd - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

No, it’s not unreasonable to hope for (nor for that matter is a win by Houston tonight). It’s just unreasonable to expect.

10. Theophilus T.S. - Sep 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Dittoes re Toronto and LAAA.

11. Eugene in Oregon - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

NatsInsiders: Not able to watch today’s game live (pesky volunteer commitments); hope to watch replay later without knowing result. In my absence, please keep team focused (pitching and defense) and aggressive (offense). Don’t let them let down. Thanks.

12. ehay2k - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Our group already ponied up for playoff tix, and the Nats have been on a tear since, so I don’t think its a jinx to do so. It is backing your belief with actions.

GYFNG!! And do NOT let the Barves try to push you around tonight, which is what they like to try to do when they feel inferior. It irks me that they see no harm in Upton or Gattis admiring a HR and even tossing the bat, but anyone else doing the same , or less, is itching for a fight.

13. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Here’s a chart that shows what needs to happen for us to make it:

I think us going 9-2 and the Reds going 4-6 is reasonable (albeit still very difficult). I have us losing tonight and losing one game in St. Louis. That would require a sweep against the Marlins and a sweep against the D’backs.

If we manage to win tonight with Ohlendorf on the mound, my optimism is going to skyrocket.

• jd - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I don’t see the Reds going 4 – 6 with their remaining schedule therefore I think tonight’s game is not optional; it’s a must win and Davey has to manage that way starting right from the get go. You can’t allow the Braves to jump to a big lead and hide.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The Pirates could take 4 of 6 from the Reds! Think POSITIVE!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

It doesn’t matter what the Reds do and it doesn’t matter what happens after this. Win tonight, that’s all there is.

14. Section 222 - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I assume you created that chart DP. Nicely done. Please update on a daily basis. :-)

Note that the chart is what needs to happen for us tie the Reds/Pirates and have a one game playoff for the last WC spot. Yikes.

• David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM

A one game playoff for the one game playoff. Yikes indeed.

At least it would be at Nationals Park and not Great American Smallpark since we won the tiebreaker.

• Section 222 - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

And it’s part of the playoff strips!

15. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Honestly, the fact that we’re even talking playoffs when we’ve had guys like Tanner Roark, Ross Ohlendorf, Nathan Karns and Taylor Jordan in the rotation for very significant periods of time is pretty remarkable. Who had that happening in Spring Training?

16. Section 222 - Sep 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No one had that happening since we expected the best rotation in baseball with our top 3, Detwilder in Game 4 form, and Haren eating innings like the days of old. WSOB baby!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

No plan of battle survives first contact with the enemy.

17. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 1m
    Davey expects Reds to beat Astros again. “Unless our boy (Brad) Peacock tries to hand something back for all the development we did for him”

hahaha

18. natsfan1a - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Go, Big Windup! Go, NATS! (I could swear I posted this earlier, but maybe not.)

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I thought I posted from the benches at 314, too, but here I am anyhow.

19. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Headphones are cool! Next giveaway should be cell phones the size of shoeboxes.

20. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Look who is behind the plate. CB Bucknor.

21. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Nice barehanded play by RZ!

• David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I think he could make that play in his sleep

22. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Is it just me or has Harper been better against lefties lately? I still wouldn’t say he’s been particularly good, but he’s not awful. I don’t know how to search for platoon splits with dates. I’d be interested in seeing the last month or so.

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM

OHLIE! Great start.

24. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Good battle by Adam… Was hoping for a different result but good battle…

25. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM

technically Ramos has not had a day off when Nationals have played.

26. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Ok let’s score some runs, boys!

Off topic, but I was duly shocked that Juan Pierre passed Joe Damaggio in career hits yesterday:

27. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM

+1 Adam LaRoche!

28. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM

LaRoche found a doubleplay. That was fortuitous timing!

29. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Well that inning ended quickly.

30. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Come on hitters lets put a few together.

31. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Braves in Game 1 yesterday were playing Ramos up the middle. Today there SS was in that 5.5 hole and the ball found him for an easy 6-4-3

32. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I’m tired of 1 pitch outs…

33. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Money time RZ! Do it!

34. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Money time JDub! Do it!

35. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

nats128 – Sep 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Look who is behind the plate. CB Bucknor

• nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM

It was a ball but generally the pitcher gets that call on a 3-2. Hah!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

CB is a joke. Glad the joke was on the Braves.

Easy to read lips of what Wood Saudi to him.

• Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I believe Alex Woodvwill get a nice fine for not listeming to his teammates.

• nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hah! Yah! Potty mouth!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

*said to him.

36. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

We got kissed! That could’ve easily have been called strike 3 on Jayson. Wow! Braves dropping like flies here!

• Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Pitch track clearly showed it a ball.

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Agreed, but when they’re that close you never know what a ump like Bucknor will call.

37. knoxvillenat - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM

How does Wood not get tossed when Werth was walked? Think back to early May in Pittsburgh when Harper was run by Hershbeck (sp?) on a check swing call. Wood’s actions were far worse than anything Harper did that day.

• Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Normally I am on CB Buckner’s case, but he was calm and professional there. He didnt escalate the problem.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Knox, sure should’ve been. CB was being too kind. Unusual for him.

38. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Back to Span, I give him a hit since the pitcher made a late break for 1st.

39. knoxvillenat - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Too much rest that inning for Ohlie?

40. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Epic fail… Wish I could have seen it… Hope they show it on the condensed version of the game…

Come on Nats…lets win this!

41. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Oh boy. Come on Ohlie.

42. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

What a STUPID decision by Ohlendorf.

43. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Idk why Ohly even came out for the 6th…. He was laboring last inning and got lucky on the awesome catch by LaRoche…

Davey get back to managing this game…

44. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

GET THE BULLPEN UP NOW.

45. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Rendon could have hustled a little faster on that play. That reminded me of a play Adam Kennedy lally-gagged on a few years ago.

46. tcostant - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Told you to him out after 5 inning!

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM

He was laboring at the end of 5…. Idk what Dj is doing…

47. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Knew that was going to happen. Thanks Davey!

48. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Unbelievable. What was Davey waiting for???????

49. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yah, Davey waited way to long. Not sure what he was watching.

50. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

That’s all on DJ…. Ohly should not have come it for the 5th…

51. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Well, you all were right about leaving Dorff in. Arghh!

52. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Five innings. That’s what you get from Ohlendorf. If you don’t like it, let Stras pitch. Davey–greedy AGAIN. Thought he was past that.

53. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I had this game as a loss, but if we lose it because Davey waited too long to take Ohlendorf out, I’m going to be livid.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Why… Don’t be livid… When you saw Ohly come back out for the 6th, you knew at that point that something terrible was gonna happen….

54. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Meanwhile, I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in the Stros. Guy gets a no out double against this pitcher with 5+ ERA and runner never gets even to 3B. Peacock (also with 5+ERA) has given up 2 runs, 1 run… 3-0 Reds.

55. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Corey Brown can show he belongs! Do it!

• David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Corey Brown does what he does best: strikeout.

(I like Corey Brown, but there’s no denying he strikes out WAY too much)

56. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I mean you can’t make this ish…. Before the catch by Adam, Ohly threw like 7 straight balls… He got lucky on the catch by Adam for the DP…

It never fails… Yet another mistake by this manager…

57. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I stop in at the store and hoes from 2-0 to 2-3.

Was Ross O out of gas again. That is getting old quick.

58. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Battle of the bullpens now and Staymen lays a egg. Come on!

59. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Weren’t warnings just issued to both teams…. I don’t think either hbp was on purpose…

60. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Way to K the POS!

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I laughed O’s hard at that earlier….

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I laughed so hard at that earlier….*

Where is the edit/delete button… Need that back ASAP!

61. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I feel like yesterday’s wins took a lot of energy out of everyone.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

That doesn’t excuse DJ for trotting Ohly out there…

62. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Between bringing in the groceries and taking out the trash we gave up another run.

The pitchers couldnt stand being ahead tonight.

We were ok until we scored.

63. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Way to go DSpan! #29

64. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Didnt Bob Dylan write a song “Where have all Span haters gone?”

65. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

And the streak continues…. Way to go Span…

66. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Melancon just blew the save for Pittsburgh. Andrew Cashner (a pitcher being use as a PR) scored, it’s now 2-2.

67. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Pirates just blew a lead in the 9th inning. Padres up 3-2 top 9.

68. knoxvillenat - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

“Didnt Bob Dylan write a song “Where have all Span haters gone?”

That was a long time passing, a long, long time ago.

69. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Melancon with a blown Save in Pittsburgh.

• nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

That sounds nice. Hoping the Braves bullpen blows it now also.

70. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

This is a really, really tough matchup for Bryce.

71. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Desmond needs to deliver now. He’s left a ton of men on base tonight. Not his best day so far.

72. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Pirates lose.

73. Ghost of Steve M. - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Huge comeback win for Padres

74. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Look at the braves manager working his BP like this is a do or die game…. I wish our manager could do stuff like that….

75. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Money time Desi! Do it!

76. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Houston had the bases loaded (twice). Picked up one run on a sac fly. 3-2 now.

77. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Disappointing…. For sure Desi, disappointing….

• nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Yah, just a harmless flyout. That hurt.

78. paul brandt - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

well i guess CB (as in Bucknor) doesn’t mean Call Ball…dude is awful.

79. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Desi, for crying out loud, we really needed a base hit. crap.

80. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I wouldn’t have put in mAttheus right here… But who knows, maybe he finally has a good inning…

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Davey is right far, far, more often then he is wrong.

81. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Davey has the lefty up. Huh?

82. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM

LaRoche-Ramos-Rendon Let’s do this, guys!!!

83. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Nats need baserunners.

84. Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

MLB.tv is the bomb.com….

Y’all should have told me about it earlier…

85. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Why wouldn’t Davey bring in a lefty???

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I have a hard time forgiving the knucklehead, but Ryan Mattheus has generally been very effective against left handlers.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

DJ and his moves are always seemingly too little too late…

Had RossO not come out… Well, things could be different…

• NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Davey’s been OK for a while, but his old weakness–greedy for another inning out of the starter–comes back into play. You have a plan, five innings from Ohlendorf, you stick to it. Forget “pitch count.” Even if you send him out for the 6th (with Stammen warming), after the HR, for SURE you pull him.

• Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Think about what you said.”always too little too late.”
        Have you ever looked at his career winning percentage as a manager?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I know exactly what I said Joe… And then I look at this disaster of a year and see the same continual mistakes happen over and over and over again…

Doesn’t matter his past, it’s matters for the right now.. And this is yet another game where the manager screwed up and let a guy who is known to not be able to pitch past 5 innings, go back out there and promptly give them 3 runs…

86. David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Rendon’s gotta hang onto that. Not an easy play, but once it’s in his glove, you have to hold on.

87. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Damn. Rendon has to catch that.

• NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Yes, he does. And Span should have had the one at the wall. The boys are tired.

• David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

The one at the wall was very tough. Maybe a play he should’ve made, but Rendon’s really wasn’t an issue after it was in the glove.

88. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I wonder when the last time Kimbrel blew two saves in a row?

89. Manassas Nats Fan - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM

First time in 3 weeks the team has made simple mistakes and lack focus.

Unfortunately it happened way to much early in the season to allow. It happen any longer.

• NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Not true. Didn’t you see the 8th inning of the first game yesterday? Mental mistakes in both the bottom and the top of the inning.

90. NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Billy Hamilton got a double and 2 singles (and stole 2nd twice, of course). I thought he couldn’t hit….

• David Proctor - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

1 game.

• NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Absolutely. I’m sure the league will “catch up.” Still it’s kind of amusing after he was never allowed to start a game until tonight.

Well, gotta hope Houston pulls this out. I was exactly hoping we would take 2/3 from ATL and Houston would get one from the Red. So hopefully we are still 4.5 back.

Next job: Sweep the Fish. Period.

91. nats128 - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

The Mets just walkoffed on the Romo. 4 runs in the 9th.

92. Joe Seamhead - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

8 hits, 3 BB’s, and one Braves error, but only 2 runs scored.

• NatsLady - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Yeah. Exactly what we did for 3/4 of the season.

• Steady Eddie - Sep 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

And none knocked in with a hit.