Sep 20, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
After playing catch this afternoon without experiencing any lingering forearm problems, Stephen Strasburg was cleared to start Saturday night for the Nationals against the Marlins.
The Nationals were fairly confident Strasburg would be fine to pitch as planned, but team officials needed confirmation he could complete his day-before workout before saying with 100 percent certainly the right-hander would start against Miami.
Strasburg hasn’t pitched since a Sept. 8 win over the Marlins, twice scratched due to forearm tightness he experienced the day before he was scheduled to start.
“I don’t really know why it’s happening,” he said Wednesday night. “When it happens, it happens. It’s like a strong cramp, so I just think I would put us in a bind if I went out there and felt it. We’d definitely be down some pitchers.”
Throughout the last week-plus, though, Strasburg has remained confident this wasn’t a serious issue and could be pushed through without fear of further injury.
“I wouldn’t say I’m too concerned,” he said Wednesday. “Because when I get nice and loose, it feels 100 percent. The tough thing is getting loose.”
Strasburg was able to get loose with no problems during his throwing session this afternoon, according to manager Davey Johnson. That was the final test the right-hander needed to pass before he was cleared to start.
Had Strasburg not been able to make the start as planned, Johnson said the Nationals probably would have brought back veteran Dan Haren on short rest.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury