Nats-Marlins game postponed due to rain

Sep 21, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

The Nationals and Marlins game on Saturday night was postponed due to inclement weather, after a three hour and 45 minute rain delay as grounds crew officials looked for a window to play. The teams will make it up as part of a doubleheader on Sunday with the game times set for 1:35 and 7:05 p.m.

The rain began around 3:30 in the afternoon and continued through the night, ranging from medium to heavy as it poured down. The Nationals were hoping to play as it is their second to last home game of the season. They travel to St. Louis on Sunday and wanted to avoid leaving Washington late at night.

The pitching matchups will be adjusted, with Dan Haren (9-13, 4.88) now pitching the first game for the Nats with Tim Koehler (3-10, 4.51) as his counterpart. Stephen Strasburg (7-9, 2.96) will then pitch the home finale with Brian Flynn (0-2, 9.64) starting for the Marlins.

The Nats announced the postponement on their big screen scoreboard at 11:03 p.m., nearly four hours after the game was supposed to start. The message brought boos from the crowd who had waited all night.

The decision took as long as it did because it is the last homestand of the 2013 season for the Nationals. If this was earlier in the year, the league likely would have called it much earlier in the night.

According to the Nats’ press release, fans with tickets to the postponed game can now use them for the 7:05 p.m. start on Sunday. Those who still can’t attend will be able to exchange their ticket for any 2014 game other than Opening Day or ‘marquee’ games.

This is the second time just this week the Nats have postponed a game and scheduled a doubleheader. Monday’s tragedy at the Navy Yard caused them to reschedule their season opener against the Braves for Tuesday.

Saturday’s postponement also forced the team to cancel their postgame Montgomery Gentry concert. They were unable to bring them back the following day to perform.

Shortly after the Nationals postponed the game, around 11:10 p.m., the rain stopped at Nats Park and the grounds crew pulled off the tarp. By then it was too late and the postponement had already been announced.

1. naterialguy - Sep 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM

well looks like we lost half a game and gained half a game. still hangin tough

2. Sonny G 10 - Sep 22, 2013 at 2:40 AM

We got lots of rain in Olympia, Washington also. Hate that I have to miss the final games of the season.

3. dgourds - Sep 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM

It shows blatant disregard for the fans to wait so long to cancel the game at 11pm. It was obvious by 8pm on the weather maps there was no way that game was playable before midnight.

4. ArVAFan - Sep 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM

What I think was tackiest was announcing the postponement on social media before announcing to the few thousand faithful fans still in the park. I can understand why they waited as long as they did for a window (after all, it did stop raining by 11:10, and there was an MLB start at 11:32 at least once); and I can understand why they finally decided to call it (there was a lot of water to get rid of on the field, and I’m actually glad they didn’t play on it), but I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t first tell the players and coaches, then the stadium, and then the electronic announcements. At least they put the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game on the board for us to watch.

5. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM

According to Kilgore’s story,

This late in the season, Johnson said, the protocol for rain delays is different than during most of the year. The home team typically controls when and whether a game will start. In the final week, though, Major League Baseball and the umpiring crew assume the responsibility. Saturday, MLB was in control of the start, not the Nationals.

6. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Comack wrote likewise:

The announcement came after a heavy storm had parked itself over much of the east coast for most of the day. The storm stretched from Alabama to Vermont at one point in the afternoon and the radar showed early in the day that the Nationals and Marlins would be in for about four hours of rain that would cover game time.

But the teams waited it out anyway.

At this point in the season, given the dwindling number of days remaining on the schedule and the weight of many games with regard to the playoffs, the league office has a strong say in when games are postponed and rescheduled, which could’ve played into the long wait on Saturday. MLB and the umpires were largely the decision-makers, with the Nationals’ playing a diminished role.

7. natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Maybe the scoreboard and PA operators were out practicing their runway walks, like Stanton? Nah.

Heading out in a bit for the first game, which is the one we had tix for (we have some volunteer cat-care duties before the game). On another note, thanks to those who passed on ideas for my neighbor, who was in search of affordable Sunday afternoon tix for his family of four. I gave him the seatgeeks site info yesterday and he was going to check there instead of StubHub. They were hoping to try for some postgame swag as well, but not sure what will happen now that there’s a game 2 today.

8. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Interestingly, as far as I could tell, the Miami Herald doesn’t even mention that there WAS a game scheduled.

• natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Neither does the Post, which featured the O’s in a teensy box at top left of the front sports page.

(btw, was Stanton featuring blue steel or le tigre? I couldn’t quite tell.)

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

(making my quizzical face)

seems to be right there

• natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Exactly. sjm knows what I’m talking about. :-)

Reply Report comment

Sec 3, My Sofa – Sep 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Oh, and you probably meant the DTE. Nevermind.

Sec 3, My Sofa – Sep 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

That’s “fishwrap edition” to you old guys, sjm.

• natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Oh, wait. I read that as “know” rather than “mention.” Carry on.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Oh, and you probably meant the DTE. Nevermind.

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

That’s “fishwrap edition” to you old guys, sjm.
        ; -)

9. sjm308 - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Thanks sofa – we were talking about that same thing much earlier in the night and as always with this site, I learned something new.

Just a small rant. This new “ticket” system for full & partial STH does not include an actual “ticket”. I have not had a problem using my little red plastic card to get into the games but I really dislike not having a “ticket”. I guess that shows how old I am but I used to enjoy separating the tickets, placing them in my daily planner and actually seeing evidence that I did indeed have a game that day or night. As natsfan1a knows, I am challenged with most technology and did not even try to use my Red Carpet Points this year since that all had to be done on the computer. I will say that in conveying this issue to my wonderful agent, he promised that he would try and help me next year to at least use the RCP and also with games I will be missing with yet another trip to Europe.

OK – silly rant I know and back to baseball.. What a shame that their last game will probably be played in front of a very small crowd. Hope the first game brings sun, a large crowd, lots of hits and the good Haren. By the end of the day I am hoping for an elimination # of 3 with 6 games to play.

Go Nats!!

• Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM

YW, sjm.

For what it’s worth, game time temperature for tonight should be around 70, with nary a cloud in sight. The only way it gets better than that is to be playing.

• natsfan1a - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Not being a STH, I don’t know from RCP’s, so you’re one step ahead of me there. :-)

• Section 222 - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Hey, let’s keep the Elimination # at 4 after a Bucs win and a Nats sweep today. Last night’s game puts the Pirates back in the driver’s seat.

I was thinking last night about the last series in Cincy though. If by that point the Nats are eliminated, the only significance of that series will be determining home field advantage for the Wild Card game. So do the teams play all out for that, or do they rest guys, and set up their rotations for the one game that matters? My guess is the latter. Will be interesting to see.

10. Sec 3, My Sofa - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Kolko at MASN, along the same lines:

Because it’s the last time that the Nats and Marlins will face each other this season, Major League Baseball played a part in the decision to wait out a rain delay of nearly four hours before calling the game.

Typically, up until first pitch, the home team has control of the decision whether to sit through a rain delay, play the game on time or announce a postponement. But because of the circumstances this late in the season, MLB and umpires were a part of the decision-making process tonight.

11. Faraz Shaikh - Sep 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I won’t mind nats coming out with a statement that throws mlb under the bus for last night.

12. Section 222 - Sep 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I’m a little surprised at all the sniping about how things went down last night. The people in the park were good natured and had a great time watching the Bucs beat the Reds and hanging out with fellow die hard fans, while we waited for a decision. (And Candide, there were way more than 27 people left and the vast majority were not brain dead.) If you were there and thought you were guaranteed a baseball game no matter what the start time you were leaving in a dream world. No one forced you to stick around.

Sure there were some boos when the decision was announced, but those were likely guys who had partaken over- liberally of libations throughout the evening. Do we really feel sorry for them?

I do agree that making the announcement over the PA and on the scoreboard nearly 10-15 minutes after putting out an official tweet was lame. Particularly unfair to the staff, few of whom were following Twitter on iPhones.