Oct 13, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
ALCS GAME 2: DETROIT TIGERS AT BOSTON RED SOX
Where: Fenway Park, Boston, MA
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Clear, 51 degrees, wind 4 mph
Starting pitchers: DET – Max Scherzer (21-3, 2.90) / BOS – Clay Buchholz (12-1, 1.74)
Get the two highest scoring lineups in the majors together at Fenway and what happens? A 1-0 game in which the deepest lineup in baseball musters one hit.
If that was a preview of more to come, runs could be be even more elusive in Game 2 with each of the team’s best pitchers on the mound. Max Scherzer, MLB’s wins leader, is making his third appearance already in this postseason. He held Oakland to two runs through seven innings in Game 1 of the ALDS on Oct. 4, then did his part in relief in Game 4 with two innings out of the bullpen.
Clay Buchholz lost his only start in the playoffs after giving up three runs in six innings against Tampa Bay in Game 3 on Oct. 7. Buchholz hasn’t faced the Tigers this season because of absence due to injury, but he did see them twice last year. In his first start of 2012 he gave up seven runs in four innings off eight hits and two walks. He was much better in the second outing, going eight innings with just two runs surrendered.
In player vs. pitcher matchups, Buchholz has a much stronger history vs. the Tigers than his teammate Jon Lester who pitched yesterday. Through 24 at-bats Torii Hunter is hitting just .167 off the right-hander, and Miguel Cabrera is batting just .238 across 21 at-bats. Prince Fielder holds a .167 average against Buchholz, albeit in a much smaller sample size of six at-bats.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cingrani has little remorse for hitting Harper
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw