Oct 17, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
ALCS GAME 5: BOSTON RED SOX AT DETROIT TIGERS
Series: Tied 2-2
Where: Comerica Park, Detroit, MI
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Clear, 50 degrees, wind 13 mph
Starting pitchers: BOS – Jon Lester (15-8, 3.75) / DET – Anibal Sanchez (14-8, 2.57)
After the Tigers’ offense exploded in a 7-3 win in Game 4, the guys that started this series off with a 1-0 pitchers’ duel take the mound tonight for a rematch. Anibal Sanchez and Jon Lester combined to allow one run on six total hits in Game 1, with 16 strikeouts in 12 1/3 total innings. They’ll face off again looking to put their team a win away from the World Series.
The rest of this series would seem to favor the Tigers based on starting pitching matchups. Sanchez was the AL ERA champion, he’ll take Game 5, and Games 6 and 7 (if necessary) will feature Max Scherzer – a frontrunner for AL Cy Young – and former MVP Justin Verlander. All three Tigers pitchers have been brilliant so far in this series, despite the Red Sox taking two of the three games they started.
Lester, however, has been no slouch this year, especially in the playoffs. Through two starts he’s allowed just three earned runs through 14 innings with 11 strikeouts. Though he took the loss in Game 1, it was despite surrendering only one run.
Both teams are probably looking for a little more from some of their best players. David Ortiz of Boston is hitting just .067 in this series, despite his big grand slam in Game 3. That’s his only hit in four games and 15 total at-bats.
Prince Fielder has also struggled with only three hits in 15 at-bats. He has only one extra-base hit thus far in this series.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Observations from Sunday's 11-7 win in Viera
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A