Oct 18, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
NLCS GAME 6: L.A. DODGERS AT ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Series: Cardinals lead 3-2
Where: Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO
Gametime: 8:30 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 52 degrees, wind 8 mph
Starting pitchers: LAD – Clayton Kershaw (16-9, 1.83) / STL – Michael Wacha (4-1, 2.78)
Rookie Michael Wacha has been sensational this postseason, pitching well beyond his years on baseball’s biggest stage. He even outdueled Clayton Kershaw in Game 2 to help lead the Cardinals to victory. Tonight he squares off with Kershaw once again, this time with a chance to put his team into the World Series.
In Game 2 both Kershaw and Wacha combined to allow one unearned run through 12 2/3 innings. But since each offense has broken out to combine for 16 runs over their last two games. The Dodgers hit four home runs in Game 5 alone.
Wacha will have the home crowd behind him in St. Louis where the Cardinals are 4-1 this postseason. The Cards, in fact, have not lost two in a row at Busch Stadium since Aug. 10. All they have to do is win one and they are back in the World Series for the second time in three years.
The Dodgers face another do-or-die situation, but Kershaw certainly helps their odds. The former NL Cy Young winner has allowed only one earned run on eight hits in 19 innings in the 2013 playoffs.
One factor to watch could be the weather. Though there is no wind or rain in the forecast, it should be about a 30 degree drop in temperature from Game 5 in L.A. to Game 6 in St. Louis. Will that be enough to slow down the Dodgers’ offense? We’ll see.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman