Oct 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
ALCS GAME 6: DETROIT TIGERS AT BOSTON RED SOX
Series: Red Sox lead 3-2
Where: Fenway Park, Boston, MA
Gametime: 4:30 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees, wind 11 mph
Starting pitchers: DET – Max Scherzer (21-3, 2.90) / BOS – Clay Buchholz (12-1, 1.74)
One run was the difference in Game 5 and it left the Detroit Tigers with quite the predicament in their quest for a second straight World Series appearance. The series now moves to Boston where the Red Sox won 65% of their games at home this season. They have won three of their four games at Fenway in these playoffs, the only loss coming to Detroit.
Since that Tigers win, the Red Sox have now won three of four to take a lead in the series and are one victory away from returning to the World Series for the first time since 2007. Tonight they will try to clinch with Clay Buchholz on the mound, hoping for better results than the young right-hander has shown of late.
Buchholz has been shaky in the postseason so far, allowing eight runs through his two starts. He gave up five in just 5 2/3 innings in Game 2, but a late rally saved Boston in their 6-5 win. Tigers starter Max Scherzer – also pitching tonight – was much better in Game 2 with one run allowed through seven before his bullpen collapsed.
Scherzer has a tough task ahead of him, but he’s been excellent in his three postseason appearances. He’s allowed four runs through 16 innings in the 2013 playoffs with 26 strikeouts.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins