Oct 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
ALCS GAME 6: DETROIT TIGERS AT BOSTON RED SOX
Series: Red Sox lead 3-2
Where: Fenway Park, Boston, MA
Gametime: 4:30 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees, wind 11 mph
Starting pitchers: DET – Max Scherzer (21-3, 2.90) / BOS – Clay Buchholz (12-1, 1.74)
One run was the difference in Game 5 and it left the Detroit Tigers with quite the predicament in their quest for a second straight World Series appearance. The series now moves to Boston where the Red Sox won 65% of their games at home this season. They have won three of their four games at Fenway in these playoffs, the only loss coming to Detroit.
Since that Tigers win, the Red Sox have now won three of four to take a lead in the series and are one victory away from returning to the World Series for the first time since 2007. Tonight they will try to clinch with Clay Buchholz on the mound, hoping for better results than the young right-hander has shown of late.
Buchholz has been shaky in the postseason so far, allowing eight runs through his two starts. He gave up five in just 5 2/3 innings in Game 2, but a late rally saved Boston in their 6-5 win. Tigers starter Max Scherzer – also pitching tonight – was much better in Game 2 with one run allowed through seven before his bullpen collapsed.
Scherzer has a tough task ahead of him, but he’s been excellent in his three postseason appearances. He’s allowed four runs through 16 innings in the 2013 playoffs with 26 strikeouts.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game