Oct 24, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
The Nationals outrighted Chris Marrero to Class AAA Syracuse, removing the former first-round draft pick from their 40-man roster and effectively ending his tenure with the organization.
Marrero, 25, was the 15th overall pick in the country in the 2006 draft, touted by the Nationals as a future offensive force who could hit both for power and a high average. He did put up solid minor-league numbers (a .282 batting average and .350 on-base percentage) over parts of eight seasons but he was plagued by several major injuries (a broken ankle, a torn hamstring) and never saw his power develop to elite levels.
The Nationals gave Marrero two opportunities in the big leagues; he appeared in 39 total games in 2011 and 2013, hitting .232 with a .256 on-base percentage, five doubles and 11 RBI.
Marrero also never found a comfortable position in the field, spending time both at third base and in the outfield before finally settling at first base.
Rated as the Nationals’ top prospect in 2008 and the 27th-best prospect in the minors by Baseball America at the time, Marrero saw his stock in the organization steadily fall each successive season. He also was leapfrogged on the system’s depth chart by fellow first basemen Tyler Moore and Matt Skole.
In being outrighted to Class AAA, Marrero comes off the Nationals’ 40-man roster. He’ll then become a minor-league free agent after the World Series, officially ending his tenure with the organization.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion