Oct 24, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
The Nationals outrighted Chris Marrero to Class AAA Syracuse, removing the former first-round draft pick from their 40-man roster and effectively ending his tenure with the organization.
Marrero, 25, was the 15th overall pick in the country in the 2006 draft, touted by the Nationals as a future offensive force who could hit both for power and a high average. He did put up solid minor-league numbers (a .282 batting average and .350 on-base percentage) over parts of eight seasons but he was plagued by several major injuries (a broken ankle, a torn hamstring) and never saw his power develop to elite levels.
The Nationals gave Marrero two opportunities in the big leagues; he appeared in 39 total games in 2011 and 2013, hitting .232 with a .256 on-base percentage, five doubles and 11 RBI.
Marrero also never found a comfortable position in the field, spending time both at third base and in the outfield before finally settling at first base.
Rated as the Nationals’ top prospect in 2008 and the 27th-best prospect in the minors by Baseball America at the time, Marrero saw his stock in the organization steadily fall each successive season. He also was leapfrogged on the system’s depth chart by fellow first basemen Tyler Moore and Matt Skole.
In being outrighted to Class AAA, Marrero comes off the Nationals’ 40-man roster. He’ll then become a minor-league free agent after the World Series, officially ending his tenure with the organization.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation