Oct 27, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
WORLD SERIES GAME 4: BOSTON RED SOX AT ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO
Gametime: 8:00 p.m.
Radio: ESPN Radio
Weather: Clear, 51 degrees, wind 4 mph
Starting pitchers: BOS – Clay Buchholz (12-1, 1.74) / STL – Lance Lynn (15-10, 3.97)
It took an unprecedented finish to Game 3 – a walk-off obstruction call win – for the Cardinals to take a 2-1 lead in the World Series, but now they find themselves with a golden opportunity to put the Red Sox on the ropes. Boston now turns to Clay Buchholz whose status was in question for several days due to tightness in his right shoulder. He’ll give it a shot tonight in what could exhaust all he has left in his arm.
Buchholz was effective his last time out in Game 6 of the ALDS against the Tigers, but his velocity dropped dramatically late in the game. He was limited to 85 pitches that day and could be under the same restrictions tonight. If the Cardinals can inflate his pitch count early on, we may not see much of Buchholz at all.
Meanwhile, St. Louis will trot out Lance Lynn who has also been shaky this October. He holds a 5.40 ERA through three postseason games, and despite getting the win his last time out, he wasn’t exactly dominant. The Cardinals beat the Dodgers in Game 4 of the NLCS despite Lynn leaving after 5 1/3 innings. He allowed nine baserunners on six hits and three walks, but did limit the damage with two runs allowed.
Playing at home with two consecutive wins, the Cardinals now have to win two of four to take home their 12th World Series title. They have a chance to end the series in St. Louis because of the 2-3-2 scheduling format. Will they capitalize?
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper breaks out patriotic bat for the Fourth -- and it works
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Strasburg on mound for July 4th special
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss