Oct 28, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
Age on Opening Day 2014: 22
How acquired: Traded with RHP A.J. Cole and RHP Blake Treinin from A’s for OF/1B Michael Morse, who went to Mariners, Jan. 2013
MLB service time: 117 days
2013 salary+bonuses: $490,000
Contract status: Arbitration-eligible in 2017, free agent in 2020
2013 Stats: 32 G, 27.1 IP, 28 H, 12 R, 12 ER, 8 BB, 22 SO, 5 HR, 1.317 WHIP, 2-1, 3.95 ERA, 4.69 FIP, -0.3 WAR
2013 analysis: Acquired late in spring training as the player-to-be-named in the Michael Morse trade, Krol opened the season at Class AA Harrisburg and quickly made a name for himself. In 21 appearances with the Senators, he posted a 0.69 ERA and struck out 29 batters.
That earned Krol a promotion all the way to Washington, his first big-league call-up. The left-hander was brilliant at first; he allowed only two of the first 28 major-league batters he faced to reach safely and after 15 appearances owned a 1.72 ERA and .475 opponents’ OPS.
Over time, though, teams started to figure Krol out. He was scored upon in nine of his final 17 games, putting 25 men on base in only 11 2/3 innings. His struggles resulted in a brief demotion to Class AAA Syracuse, but the results weren’t much better after he returned to D.C. in September.
2014 outlook: Krol was a rookie this year, and he had only 21 career appearances above Class A before he found himself on a big-league mound for the first time. So certainly he learned a thing or two this season and will be better for it in 2014.
But the Nationals aren’t going to report for spring training counting on Krol to be their top lefty reliever. They’re going to try to acquire a more experienced, reliable southpaw this winter, then hope Krol makes some adjustments and develops into another top option.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more