Nov 2, 2013, 4:01 PM EST
Yesterday the Nationals introduced Matt Williams, the team’s new manager, at Nats Park by pulling out all the stops. They had the Lerner family and other members of the ownership group, dozens of team employees, and tons of media in attendance. Even Jayson Werth, Ian Desmond and Tanner Roark were there.
It was a very big day for the franchise, arguably the most important press conference they’ve held since moving to Washington, D.C. They believe they have their guy and the expectations for next season will once again be high.
CSN had a camera there for the question and answer session with Williams and general manager Mike Rizzo and I thought I would share the highlights. Here are some clips from the press conference:
Nats introduce Matt Williams
Mike Rizzo makes a statement
Williams: ‘I bring passion to the game’
Williams: Nats are ‘on the brink of something special’
Also, please check out my story on Dan Haren and Chad Tracy entering free agency and the type of market they may encounter.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot