Nov 5, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo conducted a thorough search to replace Davey Johnson in the Nats’ dugout, and in the end went with a man he has a long history with. In comes Matt Williams who has been on Rizzo’s radar for years as a potential skipper.
Mark caught up with Rizzo at last Friday’s press conference and talked about the search that brought Williams here. Rizzo acknowledged their history, but said it in no way made the former third baseman the frontrunner coming in. On that subject, he also shares his philosophy on hiring friends and why he doesn’t believe it is a good idea, generally speaking.
Check it out here:
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology