Nov 5, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo conducted a thorough search to replace Davey Johnson in the Nats’ dugout, and in the end went with a man he has a long history with. In comes Matt Williams who has been on Rizzo’s radar for years as a potential skipper.
Mark caught up with Rizzo at last Friday’s press conference and talked about the search that brought Williams here. Rizzo acknowledged their history, but said it in no way made the former third baseman the frontrunner coming in. On that subject, he also shares his philosophy on hiring friends and why he doesn’t believe it is a good idea, generally speaking.
Check it out here:
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts