Nov 5, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo conducted a thorough search to replace Davey Johnson in the Nats’ dugout, and in the end went with a man he has a long history with. In comes Matt Williams who has been on Rizzo’s radar for years as a potential skipper.
Mark caught up with Rizzo at last Friday’s press conference and talked about the search that brought Williams here. Rizzo acknowledged their history, but said it in no way made the former third baseman the frontrunner coming in. On that subject, he also shares his philosophy on hiring friends and why he doesn’t believe it is a good idea, generally speaking.
Check it out here:
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth