Nov 5, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo conducted a thorough search to replace Davey Johnson in the Nats’ dugout, and in the end went with a man he has a long history with. In comes Matt Williams who has been on Rizzo’s radar for years as a potential skipper.
Mark caught up with Rizzo at last Friday’s press conference and talked about the search that brought Williams here. Rizzo acknowledged their history, but said it in no way made the former third baseman the frontrunner coming in. On that subject, he also shares his philosophy on hiring friends and why he doesn’t believe it is a good idea, generally speaking.
Check it out here:
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss