Nov 10, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT
The Nationals have granted permission to the Seattle Mariners to interview Trent Jewett for the role of bench coach, this according to FoxSports.com. Jewett is currently the Nationals’ third base coach and interviewed for their managerial opening last month.
Jewett has been with the Nationals since 2009, but could move to Seattle to reunite with Lloyd McClendon who was just hired as the Mariners’ new manager. Jewett served as McClendon’s third base coach with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2001 and 2002.
Jewett became the Nationals’ third base coach before the 2013 season, replacing Bo Porter who left to become the manager of the Houston Astros. Jewett originally joined the franchise as the manager of the Single-A Potomac Nationals and has served a variety of roles since.
The Mariners hired McClendon as their new manager last week to replace Eric Wedge. The Nationals just days earlier introduced Matt Williams as their new skipper and said then they plan to retain the majority of their coaching staff for 2014. The lone exception was bullpen coach Jim Lett who was swapped for Matt LeCroy.
The Nationals did add an assistant this offseason by bringing in Mark Weidemaier to coordinate defense and help with advance scouting. If Jewett leaves perhaps they would have Weidemaier help out at third, or first if they moved Tony Tarasco across the diamond, otherwise they will have to look for a new third base coach.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- More observations from Sunday's 3-2 win
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals