Nov 10, 2013, 5:49 PM EST
The Nationals have granted permission to the Seattle Mariners to interview Trent Jewett for the role of bench coach, this according to FoxSports.com. Jewett is currently the Nationals’ third base coach and interviewed for their managerial opening last month.
Jewett has been with the Nationals since 2009, but could move to Seattle to reunite with Lloyd McClendon who was just hired as the Mariners’ new manager. Jewett served as McClendon’s third base coach with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2001 and 2002.
Jewett became the Nationals’ third base coach before the 2013 season, replacing Bo Porter who left to become the manager of the Houston Astros. Jewett originally joined the franchise as the manager of the Single-A Potomac Nationals and has served a variety of roles since.
The Mariners hired McClendon as their new manager last week to replace Eric Wedge. The Nationals just days earlier introduced Matt Williams as their new skipper and said then they plan to retain the majority of their coaching staff for 2014. The lone exception was bullpen coach Jim Lett who was swapped for Matt LeCroy.
The Nationals did add an assistant this offseason by bringing in Mark Weidemaier to coordinate defense and help with advance scouting. If Jewett leaves perhaps they would have Weidemaier help out at third, or first if they moved Tony Tarasco across the diamond, otherwise they will have to look for a new third base coach.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman