Trent Jewett to interview for Mariners’ bench coach job

Nov 10, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

The Nationals have granted permission to the Seattle Mariners to interview Trent Jewett for the role of bench coach,¬†this according to FoxSports.com.¬†Jewett is currently the Nationals’ third base coach and interviewed for their managerial opening last month.

Jewett has been with the Nationals since 2009, but could move to Seattle to reunite with Lloyd McClendon who was just hired as the Mariners’ new manager. Jewett served as McClendon’s third base coach with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2001 and 2002.

Jewett became the Nationals’ third base coach before the 2013 season, replacing Bo Porter who left to become the manager of the Houston Astros. Jewett originally joined the franchise as the manager of the Single-A Potomac Nationals and has served a variety of roles since.

The Mariners hired McClendon as their new manager last week to replace Eric Wedge. The Nationals just days earlier introduced Matt Williams as their new skipper and said then they plan to retain the majority of their coaching staff for 2014. The lone exception was bullpen coach Jim Lett who was swapped for Matt LeCroy.

The Nationals did add an assistant this offseason by bringing in Mark Weidemaier to coordinate defense and help with advance scouting. If Jewett leaves perhaps they would have Weidemaier help out at third, or first if they moved Tony Tarasco across the diamond, otherwise they will have to look for a new third base coach.

1. Faraz Shaikh - Nov 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM

awesome! best news all off-season. hope he gets it.

2. Jw - Nov 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Perhaps Riggleman or McLaren will intervene and remind Jewett that Mariners bench coach is where managerial careers go to die.

3. Sonny G 10 - Nov 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Good luck to Trent. Hope we get a good replacement.

4. Doc - Nov 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Did Jim Lett get offered another position with the Nats???

5. dgourds - Nov 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Hppe he gets the job. He’s not the best 3rd base coach.

6. NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM

This comment is interesting (and from an interesting article).

“….when I was looking at base stealing, I established two groups, one was pitchers who allowed a lot of steal attempts and the other was pitchers who did not. To my surprise the latter group were much better pitchers, based on wOBA against (i.e, not even considering SB/CS against). …”

Also a followup article by the same author.

Now I have to see if I can find the one about stolen bases. But this confirms my impression that, despite fans’ agitation, McCatty–and good pitchers–focus on the man at the plate rather than the man on base.

• NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

BTW, the second article lists Ross Detwiler as a pitcher who should be a short-reliever. He is a one-pitch (fastball) guy who is lights-out the first time through the order. (He’s just listed, not discussed individually, and his injuries/stamina is not factored in.) So I looked at him on Baseball Reference.

For 2013.
      1st time facing a batter OPS = .663
      2nd time facing a batter OPS = .896
      3rd time facing a batter OPS = .939

For 2012.
      1st time facing a batter OPS = .636
      2nd time facing a batter OPS = .754
      3rd time facing a batter OPS = .676

As a relief pitcher in 2012,
      1st time facing a batter OPS = .594

Here are his platoon splits
      2013
      LHP vs LHB OPS = .704
      LHP vs RHP OPS = .849

2012
      LHP vs LHB OPS = .513
      LHP vs RHP OPS = .734

To me, this says he would be better off as a reliever, coming in for an inning (or even two) when mostly lefties are due up.

• Theophilus T.S. - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

To me this says he would be better pitching in 2012.

7. NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

P.S., looked into Detwiler a little further and put up a blog post on it. No easy answer.

8. sjm308 - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Natslady – I will go and read your entire article but thanks for the info you put on this site as well. I have been talking about moving Ross to relief with nothing to back it up but my eyes and a gut feeling that he needs to build that confidence and stamina of one or two good innings for at least a half season. The best example of this working and then moving slowly into a starting spot is how the Rays used David Price. I realize he was a rookie when they did this but it sure worked. The great thing to me is that we have enough young pitchers coming up (hopefully sooner than later) that you don’t have to press Ross into a starting role if this actually works.

Go Nats!!

• NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Thanks, all reads appreciated. Please comment there, if you have time. I find Detwiler to be a most puzzling pitcher. I don’t want to say he is DESTINED to be a relief pitcher, because he did well in 2012 after coming out of the bullpen.

• Doc - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Great work, NL!!!

Really good stuff–wonder if the Nats’ brain trust is aware of such data. Seems with their FO saber nerds they should have come up with this stuff.

LH Sammy Solis for #4, Roark for #5. Det for relief.

9. natsjackinfl - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

So the Braves are getting a new stadium in Cobb Co. Didn’t see that coming.

• Theophilus T.S. - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I would be content if they were getting a new stadium in Arkadelphia.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Attendance has been down but that stadium has a lot of modern amenities. I was there in 2000 for the All Star game. No need to ever go back.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

“@SportsCenter: Braves announce plans to leave Turner Field after 2016 season. Team will relocate to Cobb County, with new stadium ready for 2017.”

They will probably host an All Star game before the Nats!

• Theophilus T.S. - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My daughter and her now-hubby lived in Atlanta for three years. They said there were access and parking issues and views from the moderately-priced seats were not as good as in Nats Park. Those aren’t necessarily reasons for blowing a billion on a new stadium. But things weren’t going to get better, either. What they need more than anything is a more compact stadium that doesn’t shout, “Empty seats! Empty seats!”

10. jd - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

To me Detwiler’s number scream reliever. He could be used for 1,2 or even 3 innings but he simply does not have the repertoire of out pitches to be a top notch starter.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You sound like me in 2012 and prior. Det discovered something in himself the end of 2012. Only problem is relying on location and velo usually aren’t enough as a starter. He needs that deception and multiple movement and relying on 90% fastballs that aren’t dancing usually won’t work for 7 innings.

I still think he can figure it out if healthy but can Rizzo take the chance? He may essentially be Dan Haren now with regards to health and effectiveness.

• NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

According to the article I posted, Detwiler is the polar opposite of Haren. Haren should be a starting pitcher, he has multiple pitches; relies on control and deception, not speed; and (when healthy) CAN go three times through the batting order without losing much effectiveness.

BTW, one thing I will be watching this season in evaluating McCatty and the bullpen coach is–do pitchers come in the game ready to go. I’m looking at starters (where McCatty warms them up) but I’m also looking at relievers (bullpen coach)–like Stammen. Also, was Stammen overused last season?

• Theophilus T.S. - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I don’t think Stammen was overused. I think it’s in the nature of his role — irregular use, more-than-one inning — to be somewhat inconsistent. Occasionally he had trouble with inherited runners but he’s a long way from the point where I would feel uneasy when he comes into the game. The longer his career continues, the more he learns how to pitch and becomes a better pitcher. So for as I am concerned he can keep his place in the locker room for a long time.

• Hiram Hover - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I hear you. But remember, the Nats don’t need him to be a “top notch starter”–they need him to be a #4, #5.

For that purpose, my reservations are more about his durability. If he can stay healthy, I think he can be an adequate back of the rotation starter.

• Doc - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM

NL, it is my understanding that the BP coach takes his que from McCatty, and his call to the BP, when it comes to getting relief pitchers ready.

At that point it’s up to the pitcher to get his stuff in gear.

The BP coach probably has some other chores that are not readily apparent.

• Jw - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

As with the manager and all the other coaches, the largest portion of the bullpen coach’s work is done outside of the hours when the game is being played.

11. Ghost of Steve M. - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

MTV Baseball Husbands? Didn’t VH1 already fail at Baseball Wives?

12. NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM

There’s a lot of discussion around on Atlanta’s new stadium. Apparently the current stadium (which the team doesn’t own, the city does) is located in the ‘hood, and the ‘hood has not improved. Demographics of the fanbase partially motivated the move, along with the fact that Turner Field requires $100 million in upgrades which the city can’t provide.

When you look at the neighborhood around Nats Park, you have to say it’s changed a lot, and can’t any longer be called a ‘hood. Of course, it had inherent advantages–Metro stop, the presence of the Navy Yard, Dept. of Transportation and other federal offices, but still, the transformation, though still incomplete, is pretty remarkable. I just hope the “old” doesn’t completely disappear.

You have to wonder why Atlanta’s politicians couldn’t accomplish something similar in a city larger than DC and with, I assume plenty of assets. BTW, their football team is also getting a new stadium.

13. Doc - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Heyman is reporting that the Nats have Span on the block.

Nats will probably deny it.

• Hiram Hover - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I think this was discussed by commenters here over the weekend: maybe it’s a way to get a sense of Span’s value, maybe it’s a way to help out Boras, by suggesting that if the Nats trade Span they would be in on Boras’ clients, Ellsbury and Choo.

• NatsLady - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM

This was reported last week. Heyman appears to be the only source, none of the beats or more reliable reporters (e.g., Rosenthal) have confirmed it. Personally, if any front-office source leaked anything, it was Rizzo doing Boras a favor running up Ellsbury’s price. Seen this before. What I haven’t seen is Rizzo tipping his hand on stuff like this.

Therefore, I highly doubt it. There is no good reason to trade Span and sign Ellsbury to a long and expensive contract, especially with several good-looking outfielders coming up through the system. Infielders–that’s another issue. I don’t see much there.

• Doc - Nov 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Agreed.

Goodwin is having a pretty good AFL season.

When Span is over, and in his option year, Goodwin will be ready.