Nov 11, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
17 years after moving into Turner Field, the Atlanta Braves are ready to move on.
The team announced on Monday plans to construct a new stadium in Cobb County, Ga. and make it their home park for the 2017 season. The project is estimated to cost $672 million and will be built in partnership with the county. The new stadium, yet to be named, will close Turner Field as the Braves’ ballpark after just 20 seasons.
How much exactly the Braves will spend is not yet disclosed. The park is expected to be partly financed by public funding.
The new stadium will be the second for an Atlanta professional sports team in 2017. The Falcons are also aiming to open their new $1.2 million football field with a retractable roof that year. The Falcons opened their current home, the Georgia Dome, in 1992 so it’s a quick departure for them as well.
The Braves have played in Turner Field since 1997 and in Atlanta since 1966. 12 times in their 17 years with Turner as their home they have made the postseason, and in 1999 they played in the World Series. The team’s 20-year lease at Turner Field expires after the 2016 season.
Braves officials told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the new park is expected to seat around 41,000 people, about 10,000 less than Turner Field. They also plan to sell the naming rights to the new stadium once it is built.
Construction on the Cobb County site is expected to begin late next year.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill