Nov 21, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
The Nationals signed reliever Daniel Stange, one of Mike Rizzo’s former draft picks in Arizona who pitched this season at Class AAA with two different franchises, to a minor-league contract.
Stange, who turns 28 next month, is a husky (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) right-hander who has made seven career big-league appearances (four with the Diamondbacks in 2010, three with the Angels this year).
He opened the season with the Padres’ Class AAA affiliate in Tucson, going 1-0 with a 4.15 ERA in 26 games, striking out 43 but walking 24 in only 39 innings. Released by San Diego on June 16, he signed with the Angels five days later and wound up spending a week in the majors, allowing three runs in 1 2/3 innings spread over three appearances. He finished the year at Class AAA Salt Lake, going 4-1 with a 5.06 ERA and five saves in 26 games.
Stange, who pitched in college at UC-Riverside, was originally selected by the Diamondbacks in the seventh round of the 2006 draft. That was during Rizzo’s final month as Arizona’s scouting director before the Nationals hired him to serve as Jim Bowden’s assistant general manager.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2