Nov 26, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
Six years after opening Nationals Park the Nats want to renovate.
NBC Washington has reported the Nationals’ plans to build a roof over the 41,000 seat stadium in Southeast D.C. They are, as of now, just ‘plans’ as the city would have to not only approve of the project, but pay for it. Mark Segraves of NBC says the roof installation would cost upwards of $300 million and the money would come from D.C. taxpayers.
Segraves says the team approached Mayor Vincent Gray’s office to propose the idea. This is after citizens of the District paid nearly $700 million in tax dollars in 2006 to build the park.
Gray and the city are also dealing with a proposed plan to build a new stadium for D.C. United in the same neighborhood, a project that will also cost hundreds of millions of dollars. Segraves said the city is “reluctant” to agree to the Nats’ deal and it appears unlikely at this point.
Opened in 2008, Nationals Park has been home to the Nationals for six seasons. The team has dealt with rain delays just like others around the league, and there is the vaunted ‘Sun Monster’ that shows up in August and September. Still, without extreme heat during the summer in the region or cold in the fall, Washington seems like an unlikely place for an enclosed baseball stadium.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 1st place Nationals try to take another in Cincinnati
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game