Nats face non-tender decisions today

Dec 2, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

The Thanksgiving holiday weekend has come and gone, the Winter Meetings begin one week from today and the Hot Stove League (you would assume) is about to kick into high gear for the Nationals, who have been awfully quiet to date.

Perhaps they will make some news before the end of the day, though, with another one of Major League Baseball’s offseason deadlines looming at 11:59 p.m. That’s when all MLB clubs must tender contract offers to all of their unsigned-but-controlled players. For most, it’s better known as the non-tender deadline.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. For simplicity’s sake, this essentially is the day of the year in which teams decide if any of their arbitration-eligible players aren’t worth keeping based on the salary increases they are expected to earn.

The Nationals have eight arbitration-eligible players, slightly more than most clubs, and there are some very prominent names on that list: Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann, Ian Desmond, Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Wilson Ramos, Ross Detwiler.

Those are all building-block players, key members of the Nationals’ lineup, rotation or bullpen who figure to remain key parts of the club moving forward. Unless Mike Rizzo decides to trade either Storen or Clippard, which wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility.

Even if Rizzo has visions of dealing one of those relievers, he’s going to tender contracts to both guys today. He’d never dump either one without getting something in return.

So that leaves only one name among the arbitration-eligible players whose future with the Nationals could be over by the end of the day: Ross Ohlendorf.

Ohlendorf was among this season’s pleasant surprises, a non-roster invitee to spring training who wound up contributing both as a long reliever and spot starter, going 4-1 with a 3.28 ERA in 16 games (seven starts). But how does the right-hander figure into next year’s plan? That’s not entirely clear.

It seems far-fetched that Ohlendorf would make the Opening Day rotation, beating out the likes of Detwiler, Taylor Jordan, Tanner Roark and any veteran starter Rizzo might acquire this winter. He could make more sense as a long reliever, though that job could be targeted for Roark or even Craig Stammen.

The issue here, though, is less about Ohlendorf’s potential role on the Nationals’ 2014 pitching staff and more about his potential salary should they decide to keep him. This is a veteran pitcher with more than four full years of big-league service time on his resume, a guy who made $2.025 million via arbitration with the Pirates in 2011.

Ohlendorf has spent the better part of the last two years injured or pitching in the minors, so his salary numbers have gone down, though he’s still likely to make decent money through arbitration. How much? According to MLBtraderumors.com’s annual projections — and those guys have a strong track record at making near-accurate guesses — Ohlendorf is in line to make about $1.3 million next season.

While $1.3 million doesn’t seem all that much for a club with a payroll expected to top $120 million, it may be more than the Nationals are willing to pay a journeyman right-hander with an injury-riddled history and no clear-cut role on next year’s roster.

The educated guess here is that the Nationals decide to non-tender Ohlendorf tonight, then make an attempt to re-sign him to a minor-league deal or a big-league contract with a low base salary and lots of incentives).

They’ve got until 11:59 p.m. to make a final decision.

1. MicheleS - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I would love to see Jordan, Ian and Wilson signed to extensions. I think Wilson might be less expensive than Ian and Jordan, but he is a keeper and he is learning how to stay on the field. They should at a minimum get Ian signed. Good Shortstops are hard to come by. Just ask the Cardinals.

Jordan will be the interesting one. I don’t expect either of them to sign team friendly contracts, but it’s the Lerners money, and I just spent my share at the team store on Friday.

• NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM

In the end, I got caught up in something else, and just took the 30% off at the online store. How were crowds, lines, and parking–just checking for next year. :)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I think Ian and Wilson will sign team friendly contracts. I think JZim will want something close to market.

• natsfan1a - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I wasn’t in town but did the buy one/get one at 50% off thing on some clearance items. Ohhh, yeahhh….

• nats106c - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I pulled in right at 8 and saw the tail end of the “crowd” heading in. It wasn’t bad at all. Lots of parking in front of the team store.

• natsfan1a - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

btw, the online (at team site) buy one/get one at 50% off sale is on until 11:59 PM ET.

• MicheleS - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

no lines, no issues, went right in at 8 am and it was great. you couldn’t beat the 50% off

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

DCN is their call sign for the Nationals? Interesting.

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

It took me a while to figure that out, I couldn’t figure out where we were on the list!

• Sonny G 10 - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Thanks for the link, NatsLady. Interesting read.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Sonny, in fairness to Rizzo, the bench was good in 2012 except for the 2nd half performance of Tracy. I was shocked when Rizzo extended Tracy in-season for a 2013 contract as he had lost all power . Bernadina’s performance was awful and Suzuki wilted as the innings piled up. I really only blame Rizzo for Tracy and not doing the humane thing and DFA him quickly.

• Sonny G 10 - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Really points out how much work Rizzo has to do.

• NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Yes, especially the bench. The “lesser” relievers in the bullpen–I’m inclined to think that can be fixed, some from the farm, maybe a pickup of a guy who is non-tendered (e.g., if the Royal non-tender LHP Tim Collins–although why they would, I don’t know. He would get $1MM in arbitration, which doesn’t seem like a lot for a young, approximately league-average lefty http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3164&position=P ).

• Hiram Hover - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Interesting info, NL – thanks,

By my quick check, the worst offenders (bench players contributing negative offense) were Lombo, Bernadina, Chad Tracy, and Tyler Moore.

Two of the four are gone.

Of the two who remain, there’s reason to hope Tyler Moore’s offensive #s may bounce back (tho I say hope, not expect). Lombo–I think we’ve pretty much seen who he is. And for two years running, he’s been the bench player who has gotten the most PAs.

• Hiram Hover - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

One other thing about that list – you obviously want the best bench you can assemble, but having one is no guarantee of success.

At least in the NL, the only teams with benches above average in run creation were (in order) the Cubs, Pirates, Padres, Dbacks, Mets, and Braves.

In other words, only 2 teams that made the post-season, and 4 mediocre to horrible ones.

2. NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Speaking of Ramos, he went 3 for 4 yesterday with a double and walk, and is now .347 in 49 at-bats.

• JamesFan - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I don’t like Ramos playing winter ball–more chances to get hurt. If Ramos goes down next year, the Nats are in a world of trouble. One of the major off-season requirements is a backup to Ramos.

3. NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Interesting interview with Nats minor league pitcher–who could be more than that…

4. Jw - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Bold prediction: Detwiler non-tendered.

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Why would they do that? If they wanted to get rid of him, they could trade him and I don’t see why they would even do that.

• NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Detwiler is projected at $2.3 MM in arbitration. His great value is that he is a LH “fireballer.” I think he is going to the bullpen (apprently Rizzo hinted at that), so think of him as Sean Burnett. I don’t think he’ll be traded because his value is pretty low. I figure they’ll tender him, and he will either re-establish his value or he won’t.

Given that, I feel Rizzo will trade for or sign a FA pitcher (for one or two years) that he can deal in July if Detwiler and the baby pitchers work out, and keep in the rotation if they don’t. I would have thought Arroyo, but I guess he’s going elsewhere. I don’t think he’ll go for Santana or Garza because they are too pricey for “insurance.”

• Hiram Hover - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Bold is … one word for it.

5. jd - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Here we go. I guess we are into the silly season.

6. jd - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

NatsLady,

To me the only pitcher worth while out there on the FA market is Nolasco and I think he’l be a big contract from someone in years and dollars.

7. Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

There’s a few good bench players that should come available via the non-tender. Ante Schierholtz was acquired that way last year.

Patience is a virtue if a GM will take the chance to wait as there will be some surprises on the list and mostly to do with salaries and some are just performance issues and some are both.

I believed David Freese was a non-tender candidate and somehow the Cardinals were able to trade him for Bourjos. Two years ago BJ Upton looked like a non-tender candidate and Tampa didn’t trade him and they retained him and he became a FA in demand the last off-season and Tampa got nothing for him.

Could Drew Stubbs or Justin Ruggiano or Darwin Barney be on the list? Are any of them useful to the Nats?

• NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Rumor has it the Indians will tender Stubbs. Of course, they could change their mind…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Nate not Ante

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

NatsLady, they have been trying to trade him and still may do so as they probably don’t want to pay him as a bench role player. He’s a righty who just hasn’t hit RHPs well but posted a .361 OBP vs leftys last year.

He could be a nice fit for the Nats if the Indians do cut him loose. He’s the guy I would want.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the link NatsLady. That $3.8 million is risky as he clearly is a bench player after they signed David Murphy. They have Bourn and Brantley and Rayburn to go with Murphy. Stubbs is an expensive bench bat but I think they would hate to just release him today and want value.

Maybe Rizzo could trade someone way down the prospect list for him.

• NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

@Ghost–I thought we had Hairston for hitting lefties. Granted his D is below-average, but wouldn’t Stubbs be a duplication?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Stubbs wouldn’t be a duplication rather an upgrade. The Nats need a 4th outfielder who can play defense and like you said that’s not Hairston who is weak on D.

8. jd - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Missed the Nolasco signing. That’s actually reasonable for him. The Twins just signed Phil Hughes for 3 years and $24 mil. He might do OK away from Yankee stadium.

I think Arroyo is a prime candidate to suffer major slippage.Santana is too inconsistent for my taste. Garza will get too many years given his health issues. I still think that the only real way to add to the rotation is via trade. I also think the quality available will be much better than what’s on the FA market.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Nolasco as you know was the guy I wanted too. Reasonable AFV on him. Good job by the Twins.

9. NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Here is a list of non-tender candidates to chew on.

Infielders

Esmil Rogers

Relief Pitchers

John Axford
    Mitchell Boggs
    Daniel Bard

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Nice list and I see Drew Stubbs is on it.. I don’t see Jim Johnson on that list of relievers. I wonder if he will be tendered as he has been rumored to being a trade candidate and getting expensive for the Os.

Tommy Hanson? Another brilliant signing by the Angels ;) and they gave up Jordan Walden for him. Hanson last year and Freese this year. The Angels with some poor trades for sure. Braves have 3 years of team control left on Walden.

Maybe Rizzo should start trading with the Angels!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I noticed that SBNation article was posted 7 minutes after my post on Stubbs. I wonder if they were copying my notes ;) Very similar thoughts. Interesting.

• pjnat - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

just to clarify, these are potential non-tenders, right?

10. Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

From the other Chris Davis:

@chris11au: Just got a standing ovation from my Geology class… Wow #WarEagle

The other Chris Davis will be tendered and due a big raise. Auburn’s Chris Davis will have to wait for his payday.

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

It’s college football, I’m sure he’s already gotten a nice payday. :)

11. Theophilus T.S. - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I thought Stubbs — at least when he was with Cincinnati — had an OBP that looked like a medium sized outside linebacker. I don’t see anyone on that list I like except, possibly, Ruggiano.

12. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Going back to that bench article NL posted, our bench was worth -3.1 WAR last year. 20 teams had a bench WAR of 1.0 or better. If we had a bench worth 1.0 WAR or better, we would’ve made the playoffs (we missed out by 4 games. 3.1 to 1.0 = 4.1 wins). Of course, it’s not an exact science. But it really lays it out.

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Make that -3.1 to 1.0 = 4.1 wins.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM

This is why I believe the bench should be blown up and reconstructed. I don’t think Lombo, Hairston or TyMo should be considered as “locks”. While I like Tyler Moore, he is not a proven MLB player and the other 2 are marginal at best.

Rizzo has to upgrade with a player of Stubbs potential and start building from there.

13. trochlis318 - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM

J.P. Arencibia could be non-tendered, possible backup caandidate?

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

He had an OBP of .220. Not an average, an OBP. And he’s atrocious defensively. I’ll pass.

14. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

The A’s are signing Scott Kazmir, which means they could be looking to trade Tommy Milone. Rizzo and Beane love working together. I could see Milone coming back here to be the #5 starter.

• Hiram Hover - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Doesn’t Kazmir just take the spot vacated by Colon?

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yes, but the A’s had a surplus of starters to begin with. Parker/Gray/Griffin/Kazmir/Straily/Milone/Anderson. Someone has to go.

• pdowdy83 - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I think the Kazmir signing would make Brett Anderson available over Milone. Milone is still cheap while Anderson is marked for $8mm next season. High upside arm if healthy but an organization like the A’s can’t gamble $8mm on a player like him with so many other pitchers already on board.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Agree pdowdy. Anderson is available from what I’ve heard but given his track record he’s still a question mark as to whether he can become a dependable starter. Good luck to Beane on that one.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

“@Buster_ESPN: As OAK considers trade of Brett Anderson, CLE could be a good match. Anderson relatively modest investment ($8m), potential for improvement.”

15. masterfishkeeper - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Was hoping the Nats would sign Kazmir or Josh Johnson. Oh well. Maybe they’re after Garza, although I doubt it, or maybe Rizzo will pull off another trade. Or maybe he’ll just stay with what we’ve got.

16. Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

“@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Orioles trying hard to trade Jim Johnson, #Dodgers in mix. Johnson projected to earn more than $10M in arbitration.”

Ken Rosenthal tweeted this up! I may have nailed this one at my post at 12:34.

• Doc - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Yeah, I like your idea in an earlier comment Ghost.

It’s been hard for Riz to get around Billy Beane. Trading with the Halos might be the way to go.

Trout and Trumbo for Detweiler.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM

T n T for Detwiler! I love it! They would probably do Pujols for Storen though ;)

17. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I’m not sure why anyone would trade for Brett Anderson. The guy hasn’t pitched over 80 innings since 2010. And he’s due 8M.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

A fun read. I don’t think Cano will be a Nat. Much more pressing issues but at least the writer knew 1st base is a deficit situation for the Nats.

18. blovy8 - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Milone is still pre-arbitration, while I don’t think they’d dump him cheaply, he might be low on the A’s depth chart if Anderson and Straily are ok this spring as options. The A’s also might have one lefty catcher too many with Jaso and Vogt under team control. Jaso’s 2 million, while not terrible, is a bit much if they feel Vogt can split time with Norris. OTOH, Vogt hasn’t got much of a track record and Beane did trade for Jaso, but either would be a good fit to back up Ramos.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Good place to look for a backup catcher if nothing materializes on the FA

19. masterfishkeeper - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Kazmir: 2 years, $22 million. Wow! Raise your hand if you predicted a year ago he’d have a much bigger payday than Dan Haren.

20. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Nats with a blockbuster signing. Signed reliever Manny Delcarmen to a minor league deal.

21. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 21s
    Scott Boras is rarely in a hurry but clubs are reporting Ellsbury talks are moving faster than expected. Winter-mettings deal not impossible

22. Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yep, as mentioned above that he was the tradeable player.

23. nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Lots of action on here today. Looks like plenty of non-tender casulties out there. Havent heard on Stubbs. Nats might be better off trading for him. The Indians cant be looking for much. Would Rizzo trade for him?

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I’m not sure why anyone really wants him.

• pdowdy83 - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

He has #2 or 3 starter upside and is only 26 next year. Flipside as you mentioned early is his rough injury history.

24. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM

WE HAVE OUR FIRST ACQUISITION.

Source: #Nationals acquire Doug Fister from #Tigers.

• nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Is that right. Who did the Nats trade to the Tigers

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Hasn’t been reported yet.

25. trochlis318 - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

HOLY FUKIN CHRIST DOUG FISTER!!!!!!!!!

26. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Apparently the Tigers wanted late-inning relief help. Say bye to either Soriano (doubtful), Clippard or Storen. I hope it’s not Clip, but he has the most value. Have to give to get.

• trochlis318 - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

as long as we didn’t give up rendon i am happy

27. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Lombardozzi is apparently part of the package. He would obviously be a small piece.

28. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM

@JeffPassan Other names possibly going back to Detroit: Taylor Jordan, Ian Krol, Robbie Ray or Lombo.

29. Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM

A legit #3 who will be a good #4. Stras, JZim, Gio, Fister and _______

30. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Among qualified SPs, Doug Fister ranks 9th in WAR over last three years, between Price and Hamels.

• trochlis318 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

it just depends on who we give up

31. trochlis318 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

so bye bye lombo looks like furcal might be comign to dc as i stated a couple of days ago hmmmmm

32. karlkolchak - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I’d say the Fister move means the Nats are all in for the next two years, which is exactly how long they currently control Fister, Zimmermann and Desmond. Still hoping for extensions on the latter two, though.

33. NatsLady - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Absolutely KNEW Rizzo would pick up a starter! Hope we didn’t give up too much. Detroit doesn’t have a good farm system, they may be looking to restock with prospects.

34. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Hearing Fister deal will bring three or four players back to #Tigers. Lombardozzi, Ray likely in that package.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Not sure how I feel about Lombo and Ray possibly being part of the deal… What’s going on with Danny E…

Wonder if Roark will stay as a long relief guy with Stammen… Gonna be interesting to see the make up of the BP…

35. Mrsb loves the Nats - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

SS
    Gio
    Jordan
    LHP
    fister

Sick line up… Det is going to the BP… SAVE HIM FROM HIMSELF…

36. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Brian Kenny ‏@MrBrianKenny 56s
    Using same criteria: ERA+ leaders last 3 yrs (500ip), Nats now have 3 of Top 10: Gio 5th, Fister 6th, Zim 9th.

37. sunshinebobby - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM

What a great deal!!! Rizzo does it again. I love this guy. Fister pitches “down” at people, great sinker, no longer a pitch to contact guy, but a legit strikeout threat now. A great move by the master once again.

Presume it’s a package of Clipp, Lombo, probably Tyler Moore and maybe a few others. It’s the four-for-one Gio thing all over again.

The man is a thief. Do not allow Mr. Rizzo into your neighborhood bank.

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

If it’s Lombo, Ray and Krol as reported–Rizzo is an effing genius.

38. Hiram Hover - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Nothing against Lombo personally, but I can’t say I’ll be that sorry to see him go.

Like everybody else, I admired his grit, but let’s be honest – that’s the sports equivalent of “Miss Congeniality.”

39. unkyd59 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Thoughts?

No starters mentioned leaving…

40. nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Nats just tweeted Ray, Lombo and Krol. HOLY SHIZZLE

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Not sure how I feel about Ray leaving…. But other than that…

‘WORLD SERIES OR BUST, BABY!!!!!!’

*pump fist*

41. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Nationals just announced it. Wow. Wow. Wow.

42. trochlis318 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

IN RIZZO WE TRUST

43. ArVAFan - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Re-read Mark’s first two sentence above. You’d think he had a functional crystal ball (unlike Mr. Rizzo, who apparently has a pair made from a slightly harder substance).

44. unkyd59 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Me Likey!!!

45. David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Tigers asked for Taylor Jordan. Nationals wouldn’t relent. Ended up with minor league starter Robbie Ray, RP Ian Krol, UT Steve Lombardozzi.

Lol, we wouldn’t even give up Taylor Jordan. And they said okay anyway.

• nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Wheres that info

• David Proctor - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Was tweeted by Bob Nigtengale.

46. Ghost of Steve M. - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM

This is theft. Way to go Mike Rizzo. 2 years of Fister and even if he goes to FA you get a Draft Comp for 2016. How did Dombrowski not require Storen???

Nats free up 40 man space and have freed up bench space. Win Win

• Doc - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Somebody in Detroit thinks a lot of Robbie Ray!

I’ll bet there’s a PTBNL in this deal.

NJ in Florida liked Robbie Ray, wonder what he’s thinking???

• nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Nats already confirmed the deal. Supposebly no PTBNL

• nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Thats a great point GoSM on the Draft Comp in 2016 if all goes well.

Giving up Lombo was helpful as he just wasnt the player the Nats needed on the bench. Now if Rizzo can trade Hairston he can start from scratch.

47. Mrsb loves the Nats - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Have pitchers and catchers reported yet?

48. Faraz Shaikh - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

sign cano for bench now. lol
    today was such a quiet day. i should have guessed a trad is happening.

49. sjm308 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Very happy and just can’t comprehend how we can give up so little to get so much?

Krol was iffy to make this club out of spring training. Lombo was pretty much set as to what he was and that is a backup at best. Ray might make it but we all know how difficult that prospect thing it.

Fister is legit. Pitched game 4 in both ALDS and ALCS and I believe the Tigers won both.
    I know for sure he held the Red Sox in check and pitched very well.

Again, what do you people think Detroit was thinking? and how is a quality arm like Fister available?

• karlkolchak - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM

There are probably a lot of other GMs kicking themselves for not beating Rizzo to this incredibly one-sided deal. The only way this is bad for the Nats is if Fister’s arm falls off next spring.

50. sjm308 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Also, love the thinking of Ghost as far as the 40 man is concerned,. Did not even think of that as another positive.

• nats128 - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Good point on the 40 man. That will leave an open spot on there if they pick up a non-tender.

51. breakbad1 - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM

My first comment since the 2013 season (although I say many thanks to Mark and all of you for keeping me updated).

As a fan, it all comes down to what you believe, and what you accept.

I believe the Redskins have been mismanaged since the day Dan Snyder bought the team, and I do not accept it.

I believe, over the last 20 years, the Bullets/Wizards have been the worst-managed franchise in the NBA, and I do not accept it.

I believe, overall, that Mike Rizzo is as driven to win as any GM in Major League Baseball. I would not choose ANY past or current MLB GM over him. Therefore I accept the trades and draft picks he makes and the free agents he acquires.

In short, I am all in for Mike Rizzo in the front office, all in for Matt Williams in the dugout, and all in for the Washington Nationals on the field.

Count me all in on Opening Day through the World Series 2014, come what may.