Dec 7, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche will soon embark on a once in a lifetime opportunity, taking part in the 2013 USO Holiday Tour organized by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Martin Dempsey.
LaRoche will join a group of celebrities including stars of the reality show ‘Duck Dynasty,’ Jep and Willie Robertson, as well as former Patriots offensive lineman Matt Light. Dempsey will lead them on a tour through four countries spanning seven days as they travel to five different military venues overseas. They will meet with members of the military as they remain on duty during the holiday season.
Last year Nationals players Ross Detwiler and Craig Stammen participated in the tour and spoke fondly of their experience. Dempsey visited them at Nationals Park during the 2013 season and is a big fan of the team. He also threw out the first pitch before Game 5 of the 2012 NLDS in Washington.
This is Dempsey’s third USO tour as the Chairman. The partnership between the USO and the Joint Chiefs of Staff dates back to 2000.
Also going on the tour are Grammy award winning singer Bridget Kelly, comedian Thomas ‘Nephew Tommy’ Miles and former correspondent for NBC’s The Voice, Alison Haislip.
Also, please check out these other links from CSNwashington.com:
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats