Dec 11, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals acquired the left-handed reliever they so desired, pulling off a trade with the Athletics on Wednesday that brings veteran Jerry Blevins to Washington in exchange for minor-league outfielder Billy Burns.
Blevins, 30, was one of perhaps 10 left-handers the Nationals had expressed interest in at the Winter Meetings this week, some via trade and others via free agency.
Ultimately, they found their guy in a familiar location: Oakland. This is the seventh trade between the Nationals and A’s in the last three years, a list that includes deals involving Josh Willingham, Gio Gonzalez, Michael Morse, Fernando Abad and Kurt Suzuki (twice).
Blevins owns a 3.30 ERA over parts of the last seven seasons with the Athletics, during which time he has held left-handed hitters to a .224 batting average and .278 on-base percentage. He’s more of a matchup lefty than a full inning-eater, but he fills a void that was all too apparent for the Nationals this season.
Blevins also comes at an affordable price. He’s under team control for two seasons and figures to earn roughly $1.5 million in arbitration in 2014.
Burns was named by the Nationals as their organizational player of the year, though he wasn’t among the club’s top 10 prospects this winter, according to Baseball America. The 24-year-old outfielder does combine blazing speed (74 stolen bases this year at Class A Potomac and Class AA Harrisburg) with great plate discipline (72 walks and only 54 strikeouts).
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats