Dec 11, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals acquired the left-handed reliever they so desired, pulling off a trade with the Athletics on Wednesday that brings veteran Jerry Blevins to Washington in exchange for minor-league outfielder Billy Burns.
Blevins, 30, was one of perhaps 10 left-handers the Nationals had expressed interest in at the Winter Meetings this week, some via trade and others via free agency.
Ultimately, they found their guy in a familiar location: Oakland. This is the seventh trade between the Nationals and A’s in the last three years, a list that includes deals involving Josh Willingham, Gio Gonzalez, Michael Morse, Fernando Abad and Kurt Suzuki (twice).
Blevins owns a 3.30 ERA over parts of the last seven seasons with the Athletics, during which time he has held left-handed hitters to a .224 batting average and .278 on-base percentage. He’s more of a matchup lefty than a full inning-eater, but he fills a void that was all too apparent for the Nationals this season.
Blevins also comes at an affordable price. He’s under team control for two seasons and figures to earn roughly $1.5 million in arbitration in 2014.
Burns was named by the Nationals as their organizational player of the year, though he wasn’t among the club’s top 10 prospects this winter, according to Baseball America. The 24-year-old outfielder does combine blazing speed (74 stolen bases this year at Class A Potomac and Class AA Harrisburg) with great plate discipline (72 walks and only 54 strikeouts).
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day