Dec 13, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Nearly ten years after the Expos moved to Washington to become the Nationals, the city of Montreal is discussing bringing baseball back.
A new study from the Montreal Gazette explores the possibility by looking at the specific costs a new team would require. Their findings include a $525 million price tag to purchase a team and $500 million to construct a new stadium. The venue would reportedly be able to hold 36,000 fans and go without a roof, similar to Target Field in Minnesota.
Baseball has been missing from Quebec’s largest city since 2004 when the sport returned to Washington for the first time in 33 years. The Expos existed for 36 seasons and made the playoffs just once, but for years they turned out talent like few other teams. Randy Johnson, Larry Walker, Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Vladimir Guerrero, Tim Raines and Andres Galarraga all began their careers in Montreal. Pedro Martinez and Moises Alou also become stars there.
The article in the Gazette presents the study in a cautious way, as they know how tough it was on the city to see the team leave. They probably don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up or suggest anything is going to happen soon.
Regardless, the thought of baseball potentially returning to Montreal some day, that city officials are discussing it actively, should give some former Expos fans a little hope for future summers. It could also lay the groundwork for another city’s team to pack up and leave. Fans of Montreal and Washington know that feeling all too well.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League