Dec 13, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
The Nationals signed three players on Friday to minor league deals with invitations to major league spring training: first baseman Brock Peterson, pitcher Manny Delcarmen and catcher Brian Jeroloman. All three will report to Viera, Fl. hoping to compete for a roster spot and add depth to the Nationals’ exhibition squad.
Peterson, 30, spent last season with the St. Louis Cardinals and appeared in 23 games as a bench player. He hit just .177 across 26 at-bats with two RBI, two walks and 11 strikeouts. He made his major league debut on July 20 after 11 seasons in the minor leagues.
Peterson played 122 games with Triple-A Memphis last year and held a .297 average with 25 home runs and 86 RBI. He was selected as a Triple-A All-Star and also finished second in the Triple-A Home Run Derby. The Cardinals released him on Nov. 5.
Delcarmen is a right-hander with six years of MLB experience. He’s played with both the Red Sox and Rockies, but hasn’t appeared in the majors since 2010. Through 298 career MLB games he has a 3.97 career ERA with 249 strikeouts in 292 2/3 innings.
Since his last major league game with the Rockies, Delcarmen has spent time in the Mariners, Rangers, Yankeees and Orioles organizations. The 31-year-old has a World Series ring as a member of the 2007 Red Sox.
Jeroloman, 28, has yet to appear in the major leagues, but has eight years and 621 games in the minors under his belt. He was in the Nationals’ system last season with 30 games at Syracuse and 21 at Harrisburg. The Nats acquired him in July in a trade with the Pirates.
Jeroloman was involved in a national story in September after a collision at home sent him to the hospital.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game