Dec 13, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
The Nationals signed three players on Friday to minor league deals with invitations to major league spring training: first baseman Brock Peterson, pitcher Manny Delcarmen and catcher Brian Jeroloman. All three will report to Viera, Fl. hoping to compete for a roster spot and add depth to the Nationals’ exhibition squad.
Peterson, 30, spent last season with the St. Louis Cardinals and appeared in 23 games as a bench player. He hit just .177 across 26 at-bats with two RBI, two walks and 11 strikeouts. He made his major league debut on July 20 after 11 seasons in the minor leagues.
Peterson played 122 games with Triple-A Memphis last year and held a .297 average with 25 home runs and 86 RBI. He was selected as a Triple-A All-Star and also finished second in the Triple-A Home Run Derby. The Cardinals released him on Nov. 5.
Delcarmen is a right-hander with six years of MLB experience. He’s played with both the Red Sox and Rockies, but hasn’t appeared in the majors since 2010. Through 298 career MLB games he has a 3.97 career ERA with 249 strikeouts in 292 2/3 innings.
Since his last major league game with the Rockies, Delcarmen has spent time in the Mariners, Rangers, Yankeees and Orioles organizations. The 31-year-old has a World Series ring as a member of the 2007 Red Sox.
Jeroloman, 28, has yet to appear in the major leagues, but has eight years and 621 games in the minors under his belt. He was in the Nationals’ system last season with 30 games at Syracuse and 21 at Harrisburg. The Nats acquired him in July in a trade with the Pirates.
Jeroloman was involved in a national story in September after a collision at home sent him to the hospital.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Observations from Sunday's 11-7 win in Viera
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A