Dec 16, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Chris Marrero, released by the Nationals earlier this fall, has found a new home just up the road: Baltimore.
The Orioles have signed the 25-year-old first baseman to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to Baseball America.
Marrero, the Nationals’ highly touted first-round pick in the 2006 draft, was outrighted off the club’s 40-man roster on October 24 after a disappointing eight seasons with the organization during which time he hit just .232 in 39 big-league games. He continued to be a productive offensive player at Class AAA, hitting a collective .281 with a .353 on-base percentage over parts of three seasons at Syracuse, though his power numbers (25 homers) remained a disappointment.
Whether Marrero can finally realize his potential in Baltimore remains to be seen. The Orioles obviously are set at first base with Chris Davis, who mashed a club-record 53 homers this year, but their designated hitters were woefully unproductive, hitting a collective .234 with a .289 on-base percentage.
Marrero will need to prove he can hit big-league pitching for average, but he’ll also need to prove he can hit for power the way he was expected when the Nationals touted him as the organization’s top prospect.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list