Dec 16, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Chris Marrero, released by the Nationals earlier this fall, has found a new home just up the road: Baltimore.
The Orioles have signed the 25-year-old first baseman to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to Baseball America.
Marrero, the Nationals’ highly touted first-round pick in the 2006 draft, was outrighted off the club’s 40-man roster on October 24 after a disappointing eight seasons with the organization during which time he hit just .232 in 39 big-league games. He continued to be a productive offensive player at Class AAA, hitting a collective .281 with a .353 on-base percentage over parts of three seasons at Syracuse, though his power numbers (25 homers) remained a disappointment.
Whether Marrero can finally realize his potential in Baltimore remains to be seen. The Orioles obviously are set at first base with Chris Davis, who mashed a club-record 53 homers this year, but their designated hitters were woefully unproductive, hitting a collective .234 with a .289 on-base percentage.
Marrero will need to prove he can hit big-league pitching for average, but he’ll also need to prove he can hit for power the way he was expected when the Nationals touted him as the organization’s top prospect.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2