Dec 19, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Nationals have traded Corey Brown to the Athletics, sending the outfielder back to the franchise that originally drafted him in the eighth deal struck between Mike Rizzo and Billy Beane in three years.
Brown had been designated for assignment last week by the Nationals, who needed to clear a space on their 40-man roster for recently acquired outfielder Nate McLouth. The 28-year-old was out of options and thus couldn’t be demoted to the minors without first clearing waivers.
Instead, the Nationals found another club willing to give something up to acquire Brown, though the return wasn’t in the form of another player but instead in cash considerations.
Originally acquired with Henry Rodriguez in the Dec. 2010 Josh Willingham trade, Brown enjoyed success in the Nationals’ farm system. He hit a .260 with 58 homers, 166 RBI and 66 doubles in 357 total games at Class AAA Syracuse over the last three seasons.
But Brown produced little during his few opportunities in the big leagues, hitting just .175 (7-for-40) with two homers, three doubles and four RBI in 36 total games spread out between 2011-13.
This, remarkably, is the eighth trade between the Nationals and A’s since the original Willingham-Brown-Rodriguez deal three years ago. And Brown becomes the third different player to now have been traded back-and-forth between Washington and Oakland during that span, along with Kurt Suzuki and A.J. Cole.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs