Dec 19, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Nationals have traded Corey Brown to the Athletics, sending the outfielder back to the franchise that originally drafted him in the eighth deal struck between Mike Rizzo and Billy Beane in three years.
Brown had been designated for assignment last week by the Nationals, who needed to clear a space on their 40-man roster for recently acquired outfielder Nate McLouth. The 28-year-old was out of options and thus couldn’t be demoted to the minors without first clearing waivers.
Instead, the Nationals found another club willing to give something up to acquire Brown, though the return wasn’t in the form of another player but instead in cash considerations.
Originally acquired with Henry Rodriguez in the Dec. 2010 Josh Willingham trade, Brown enjoyed success in the Nationals’ farm system. He hit a .260 with 58 homers, 166 RBI and 66 doubles in 357 total games at Class AAA Syracuse over the last three seasons.
But Brown produced little during his few opportunities in the big leagues, hitting just .175 (7-for-40) with two homers, three doubles and four RBI in 36 total games spread out between 2011-13.
This, remarkably, is the eighth trade between the Nationals and A’s since the original Willingham-Brown-Rodriguez deal three years ago. And Brown becomes the third different player to now have been traded back-and-forth between Washington and Oakland during that span, along with Kurt Suzuki and A.J. Cole.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays